Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:07 AM

53 posts, read 130,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Actually-when I posted to him about bike week-I was telling him about it not to avoid it in case they are not motorcycle people but so he would be aware of crowds and potential lack of hotel availability etc.
Didn't mean to offend. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I'm a decent distance from the Weirs, but I don't care for Bike Week. But the point about hotel rooms is a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 05:12 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,337,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
Didn't mean to offend. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I'm a decent distance from the Weirs, but I don't care for Bike Week. But the point about hotel rooms is a good one.
Oh-you did not offend me at all. Sorry if my post sounded like it.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:01 PM

4 posts, read 6,085 times
Default Experience the variety of NH

When you do visit this June, make sure you give your wife a taste of the variety that the NH landscape has to offer. You mentioned visiting the Lakes and the White Mountain regions...how about the Seacoast region? It has a whole different feel than other parts of the state, at least in my eyes.

I live and work in the Seacoast region (Dover & Portsmouth, respectively). Yes, the weather is a bit milder on the Seacoast compared to the rest of the state, but we're talking about a few degrees of temperature and just a few inches of snow in difference. It's all relative.

If you can convince your wife to put her aversion to winter aside for a moment, she may find downtown Portsmouth just perfect --- it has more restaurants than you can shake a stick at, a great selection of small shops, very walkable and plenty of cultural activities year round.

No, I don't work for the tourist board. I'm actually planning to move south later this year....I am sick of winter! But then I am not into winter sports or activities, I don't have covered parking, don't own a 4WD vehicle, don't have a husband to shovel my parking spot, and am too cheap to buy really good winter-weather gear. Winter in NH is my own personal torture. It is what you make it.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:15 PM

407 posts, read 1,075,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH-ite View Post
When you do visit this June, make sure you give your wife a taste of the variety that the NH landscape has to offer. You mentioned visiting the Lakes and the White Mountain regions...how about the Seacoast region? It has a whole different feel than other parts of the state, at least in my eyes.

I live and work in the Seacoast region (Dover & Portsmouth, respectively). Yes, the weather is a bit milder on the Seacoast compared to the rest of the state, but we're talking about a few degrees of temperature and just a few inches of snow in difference. It's all relative.

If you can convince your wife to put her aversion to winter aside for a moment, she may find downtown Portsmouth just perfect --- it has more restaurants than you can shake a stick at, a great selection of small shops, very walkable and plenty of cultural activities year round.

No, I don't work for the tourist board. I'm actually planning to move south later this year....I am sick of winter! But then I am not into winter sports or activities, I don't have covered parking, don't own a 4WD vehicle, don't have a husband to shovel my parking spot, and am too cheap to buy really good winter-weather gear. Winter in NH is my own personal torture. It is what you make it.
I feel you'll be disappointed with "the South," although I agree with you regarding the snow shoveling. With me, if it became that much of an issue, I'd hire a snow plower and be done with it. Buy some nice winter clothes and appreciate what you have there. I'm disappointed in my Florida and we feel it's best to leave. Too hot, crime ridden, and congested. We plan to buy a home with an attached garage and really do our homework (it's what I'm doing now, nearly two years in advance). Good luck with your plans and hope things go well for you. My advice; really know what you want and know as much of it as you can before you make the leap.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:06 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,385,813 times
It's amazing how much an attached garage (insulated and partially heated is even better) and a remote car starter can change your outlook on winter - at least for me.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:48 PM

161 posts, read 340,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
It's amazing how much an attached garage (insulated and partially heated is even better) and a remote car starter can change your outlook on winter - at least for me.
YOU are the voice of Wisdom I say Touche (sp ? sorry) but aint it Truth....Great Post

Old 02-09-2009, 01:37 PM

371 posts, read 1,824,350 times
Quote:
You know, I never even thought of a remote starter. Sounds convenient, especially for finishing those last few sips of coffee inside.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:06 PM

909 posts, read 3,366,827 times
Quote:
Ayup! Single best thing about getting our own house! Our garage isn't insulated or heated, but it's still warmer than the outside. A wonderful thing when you're trying to load two toddlers into their carseats!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:13 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,961,138 times
Stops the older one from running too far when you're buckling the younger one into place, does it? Unless of course they're twins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
Ayup! Single best thing about getting our own house! Our garage isn't insulated or heated, but it's still warmer than the outside. A wonderful thing when you're trying to load two toddlers into their carseats!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:14 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,385,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
If only I had covered parking at work! Then I'd never have to brush snow off the car and scrape ice! Can't have it all, I guess. I'm just glad the AF is moving me to a house on base with a 2 car garage as opposed to the 1 car garage I have now. It will make going to work in the morning more bearable. No more fighting with DW over the garage (guess who always won that one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire