Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:50 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times

Advertisements

steveUSAF, I can't even imagine living with the bone-numbing cold of North Dakota. We lived in Missouri for 5 or so years, and even that far south, I have never felt such a cold wind as out there in winter. Granted the winters started later and ended earlier, but on the days when the wind came out of the north, it was brutal cold like we very seldom see in NH, and the weatherman would say "Bundle up--the cold is coming straight down from my old stomping grounds in North Dakota"... That's how my kids learned where North Dakota was on the map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,715 times
I keep struggling with the winter myself. As I get older I am less tolerant of the cold and admit to fantasizing about balmy beaches. Yet how can one describe the abilty to take in the mountains, lakes and beach all in one day. Add to that the scenic beauty of our neighboring states of Maine and Vermont ( and Mass to a lessor extent) and we have a three season paradise.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:58 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
I keep struggling with the winter myself. As I get older I am less tolerant of the cold and admit to fantasizing about balmy beaches. Yet how can one describe the abilty to take in the mountains, lakes and beach all in one day. Add to that the scenic beauty of our neighboring states of Maine and Vermont ( and Mass to a lessor extent) and we have a three season paradise.
You can always move to California and have it all.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
steveUSAF, I can't even imagine living with the bone-numbing cold of North Dakota. We lived in Missouri for 5 or so years, and even that far south, I have never felt such a cold wind as out there in winter. Granted the winters started later and ended earlier, but on the days when the wind came out of the north, it was brutal cold like we very seldom see in NH, and the weatherman would say "Bundle up--the cold is coming straight down from my old stomping grounds in North Dakota"... That's how my kids learned where North Dakota was on the map
When I move back to NH and build my house in 5.5 years, I will never complain about winter again. North Dakota has given me great perspective on winter!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:59 PM

407 posts, read 1,074,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
I would trade what you have in a 1/2 second for our "balmy beaches." Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's an acre or two left of unspoiled beach somewhere in Florida, but it's more than likely on a developer's hit list. The beaches that are frequented by folks here in Florida are forever ruined, littered with condos, business, and trash. It's really a shame. The times I've taken my family to the beach haven't been all that great; too many people, blaring music, traffic, & transients. I could never understand the need to lay out and literally "bake" in the blazing hot sun with sand entering every orifice of my body. I really don't have any desire to go to the beach anymore because I know what awaits me. Besides, it seems each year the number of shark attacks rise; it's a frickin' buffet out there for them. No thanks, but I'll take the mountains, cold, crisp air, and hiking over this.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:53 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51
You can always move to California and have it all.
Don't forget to add the earthquakes, wildfires, and mudslides. Oh and the EXTREME cost of real estate. And the high cost of groceries and gas and everything else.

No thanks. I know when snow is coming and can prepare myself. No one knows when and earthquake is coming. I'm not a fan of the itty bitty ones we get in NY ....FORGET the ones in CA. I have family out there and have heard about many broken plates and things.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Just tell her most folks lose 20 LBS when they relo to NH.
I surely did. But that may be due to not having a snow blower and having to hand shovel a long drive way all winter. LOL

And....I can't stop eating fish up here. Nom nom!

Old 05-15-2009, 05:37 PM

5 posts, read 10,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
Help!!! We're less than two years from leaving Orlando, FL (thank God!!), and I need all of you to help me convince my wife to move to New Hampshire. The biggest hurdle: the weather. It's no secret that your winters are cold and brutal. I have lived in Florida for over thirty years since moving from the Northeast, but I'm ready to go back. My wife was born and raised here, so, although she's used to the weather down here, she absolutely hates the heat and the hurricane season. She's all with me when it comes to leaving Florida, but where to go is the issue. We currently have land in Virginia that's up for sale. Initially, we planned to move there, but over the years, my heart and mind tells me New Hampshire would be the better place to raise our family (we have two young girls). I've been to NH a few times and reallly loved the place. Both of us want to move to an area to experience the four seasons, and, while Virginia offers that, it doesn't have the winters you all have (namely, the incredible amount of snow). Plus, Virginia seems to have too many poor areas and their taxes (overall) are too high. I've tried to explain to my wife that there are other reasons to move to NH (quality of life, natural beauty, low crime, quality education, etc.) but, it's always back to the cold, cold, cold. I plan to work after I retire from my job here, so she probably won't have to (unless she wants to). Without me sounding redundant and talking in circles, my question to all of you is: Is life in New Hampshire worth the months of cold and snow? Are there any of you living there now that were in my exact same position years ago and regret moving to New Hampshire? Is your spouse, initially opposed to moving to the cold, happy they made the move? Obviously, I realize that all of us are different and what applies to one may not apply to the other, but, I'm counting on your experiences to help guide us through this decision making process. Thanks for your input.

We love it! We moved here from Conneticut 10 years ago and have never looked back. We settled in a small town called Hancock which is the southern part of NH. It is a Norman Rockwell town. A great place to raise children.
The winter months do have a lot of snow but we have found it to be a wonderful chance for winter sports. We love to snowshoe, Ski, ice fish etc. Hancock has "Feb. Frolics" which gets us all out sled riding. What a great town. You might want to prepare your wife for the black flies in the spring. That takes a little getting use to. Fall is outstanding....the best in any state. If you haven't gotten to see the changing of the leaves up here, you are missing the most beautiful display of nature.
Hope you get a chance to experience it.

Also, great summer activities....Kyacking, hiking....all in this town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire