Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:10 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times

Advertisements

Hi Dee What in particular brings you to New Hampshire? As you are by now realizing from the answers posted so far, finding public water & sewer, great schools, trash p/u, etc. may be a difficult mix, but not impossible.

Your housing budget would work well for much of the state, but I'm concerned with your next words "reasonable taxes". Define reasonable In some towns a 500K property will run 10K in property taxes, other towns could be substantially higher or lower. In general, the better the school district, the higher the taxes...

Because you don't sound like you're looking for a sleepy little town, you might consider the city of Nashua or Manchester, or toward the coast. Or, have you considered Massachusetts? There are some small to mid-size cities that might have a bit of the conveniences that you are wanting to be near. I get the feeling that driving 30 minutes to the grocery store would get old fairly quickly

You found a great place for advice, and already have some good info to go through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee3472 View Post
I am moving from busy Staten Island NY to NH within 2yrs. I am looking for an area with a great school system - middle and high school. Looking to spend about 4-500k with reasonable taxes on the home. But still need a bit of the city life, grocery story not far away, mall close by. I want public water, trash pick up, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info, please let me know. Thanks, Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:55 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,558 times
Hi Dee,

I'm a native long islander (sorry) and spent many years in the DC metro area. We just relocated to NH from there 6 months ago. My kids are 9 and almost 5. A lot of my family is still on LI and in NJ so I am there frequently.

Base on how you described what you are looking for, my $0.02 would be to head to the Seacoast in some of the towns folks mentioned, and add in Durham (college town) and whatever else folks come up with here. Coming from areas where we come from, Portsmouth is, I think, one of the best choices to be in or near (depending on their schools, which I know nothing about.)

I was very skeptical about no public water and the lack of trash pickup. After 6 months I can say that, for me, it's not at all a big deal - I had waaaay overblown that in my head. You can pay someone $5/week to do your trash if you want but we just take ours to the transfer station ourselves. The biggest changes for me in going from public water to a well are 1) use ridix once a month and 2) GET A GENERATOR because when you lose power you will eventually lose your water (no toilet flushing, no tap water, no showers.)

Taxes - it's all relative. Almost anywhere you go it will appear cheap to you. You also don't need to spend $500k on a house, though you well could. People say all the time that where I live (Sunapee area) is horrendously expensive. I suppose compared to most palces in NH it is, but compared to where I came from it's a total bargain for what you get. Just make sure you don't overpay for the area you are in.

Traffic is another thing that will likely roll off you easily -- people complain about traffic on 93 all the time...to me, traffic is bumber to bumber on the Staten Island Expressway or the Belt at 1pm on a Thursday for no apparent reason. An extra 20 minutes to get to Boston during rush hour? Yeah - whatever.

WHat I did find was that when I go BACK to metro areas I'm near clasutrophobic! Not really, but you know what I mean -- I *really* notice the traffic, the speed at which life moves, how uptight people are, etc. I constantly feel like I am on vacation up here in NH.

If you like the outdoors and can find ways to enbrace winter activities I think you have a really excellent chance of loving it up here.

Good luck - Jackie

Old 01-17-2009, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,363 times
Thank you all for the advice. I have family in the Merrimack Area and in Dover. My family has been there for over 10yrs, they would say anything to get me and my family closer to them. Bow sounds like a good area with a good school system, and decent taxes. But, are there stores and shopping in the town, or do you have to travel? I will have to come there this spring and take a long drive around to see what stands out to me and my family. Thanks again, Dee

Old 01-18-2009, 08:25 PM

30 posts, read 158,357 times
Bow is right next to concord, so you can take advantage of evrything concord has to offer with an extra fiv eminutes or so of driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire