Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:07 AM

34 posts, read 26,726 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My hubby and I are in our mid-40's and have been here just about a year. We've "met" a couple of our neighbors, went out to dinner with one couple and did have a nice time, but properties are acres apart and in very rural area which we love and everyone seems to be so busy these days. However, now that it's been a year, I am missing my friends and family back home and yearning for a more active social life. We are in an equestrian group and I have done some reaching out finding a church, trying a few "meetup" groups in area, etc., but still haven't really begun to build a network. Thinking about throwing together a coffee/cocktail type of meet and greet for neighbors. We are horse people, and plan to have a true "open house/open barn" party when the weather gets better. I have lots of ideas, but a bit reluctant (hate rejection....hahaha) and hubby works weekends which can make it a challenge to get together with others. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 AM

817 posts, read 2,189,216 times
I'm starting to think people in NH are mostly hermits, like me.

What kind of stuff do you like to do? Maybe you could try some new hobby or interest that tends to appeal to more sociable types. Like joining a hiking or snowmobile club or something. If you're near the Lakes Region and you like guns, you could come shoot with me at the range, so I don't have to go alone.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:35 AM

Well actually I quite hermit-ish as well, but I do like my social life. We have horses, so that's a big part of our life. I've "met" people but haven't really "clicked" with anyone, which is a bummer. I'm in Southern Mid NH, but LOVE the Lakes. I'm thinking that over the next year I'll have to search out some interest related groups, like you mentioned. I'm going to start partaking in some yoga and hopefully some kickboxing classes soon. Unfortunately, the economy and $$$ play a part in how much I can get involved with. Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 AM

817 posts, read 2,189,216 times
Just out of curiosity, I googled "southern nh +groups" and it brought up 328,000 results. Maybe there's something there that will give you ideas.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
It has always taken a longer time for rural people go get to know their neighbors. You seem to be doing about all you can. Don't forget socializing at the local diner on Saturday morning. I'll bet the barn party will help.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:13 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,733 times
Try the website meetup.com You put in your zipcode and all local groups that are registered come up. If you don't find a group that sparks your interest, you can create your own and wait for others to join, then MEET-UP!! The groups are mostly interest-based (i.e., walking group, spanish-speaking, comic-book collectors, newcomers, etc.) I haven't had the time (yet) to join a group, but I know others that have and found it a great way to meet people.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 AM

141 posts, read 282,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondgrl View Post
Hi all. My hubby and I are in our mid-40's and have been here just about a year. We've "met" a couple of our neighbors, went out to dinner with one couple and did have a nice time, but properties are acres apart and in very rural area which we love and everyone seems to be so busy these days. However, now that it's been a year, I am missing my friends and family back home and yearning for a more active social life. We are in an equestrian group and I have done some reaching out finding a church, trying a few "meetup" groups in area, etc., but still haven't really begun to build a network. Thinking about throwing together a coffee/cocktail type of meet and greet for neighbors. We are horse people, and plan to have a true "open house/open barn" party when the weather gets better. I have lots of ideas, but a bit reluctant (hate rejection....hahaha) and hubby works weekends which can make it a challenge to get together with others. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? Thanks everyone!
Hi Dimondgrl!

We will be in the same boat you are in when we hopefully move to Littleton or somewhere in that area! I find this forum to be a wonderful place to meet people who may have the same interests as you do.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:29 AM

18 posts, read 59,225 times
Well, if you are into horses you may be into dog sled racing. In mid february they have dog sled races in Laconia, which is in the lakes region and you seem to like that area. I used to live there and I loved it. Anyway, people stand around and watch the races and people are more likely to walk up to you and just start talking. Also if you go into downtown Meredith there are a lot of friendly people. I'm not sure where you live. Also go to Weirs Beach in Laconia. Its a nice area, and there is a cruise you can go on which is pretty nice. There is a lot to do in Laconia, I have met many people just hanging out in that city and people are really friendly there.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:32 AM

18 posts, read 59,225 times
Oh and I know you're a hermit, but you might want to check out Bike Week this summer, even if you don't ride. Its a huge thing, and you're gonna have to deal with all the motorcycles that week anyway. You should just check it out.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:54 AM

I have checked out Meetup and actually tried to initiate a southern nh couples group. There was interest but no responses for a first meeting, and you have to pay monthly which we just can't afford right now. We'll have to check out Laconia and Meredith; dog sledding sounds pretty cool. And, we have a bike ourselves, but never been to bike week. Maybe this year. Hubby works every, yes, every weekend, so that places some difficulty on our recreational time. Good to know there are others out there interested in connecting. Thanks for all the responses. I'll just keep pluggin'!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire