Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 PM
SFT SFT started this thread

79 posts, read 207,354 times

Advertisements

I'm a New Hampshire resident and have been for most of the twenty-four years of my life. Without making politics the subject of this post, I would like to get feedback from people in various New Hampshire communities. With discussions of the upcoming elections and "change" that needs to be made, I feel compelled to improve my community. It is my belief that change needs to start on a local level rather than merely complaining and not taking action.

What problems do you see in your communities? I will be candid in saying that I do not necessarily have a firm grasp on the challenges encountered by our state. I would like to educate myself and figure out where I might devote some of my time in order to improve my community.

I will be doing my own research regarding education, drug abuse, poverty, and other issues. My hopes are that some of you might expand my knowledge of challenges that face our state. I do not wish to turn this in to any sort of a political debate, but purely expose ways that our state can improve.

Thank you for your time,

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 10:31 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
A lot really depends on the town; if you have the time I think being involved with troubled kids as a mentor is very beneficial or even a free tutor for kids who are struggling with certain skills at school.

I also know that for people with little money buying bad-for-you food is often the best bang for the buck (calorie wise)...perhaps working with local farmers to get their excess produce to some of these individuals at a reduced cost would be nice; or even about-to-spoil produce to a food pantry/church, etc- donated. There is a BIG difference between produce that is sell-able at a farm stand and produce that is "good enough" for a soup or whatnot.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:29 AM

Thank you for the response. I was thinking about the first recommendation you make. My biggest problem is that I work late on weekdays. I was thinking about opportunities to work with kids on weekend mornings, but most organizations don't have much going on. Perhaps I could contact a Boys and Girls Club, or other organization for space to offer a program.

The second idea is great as well. Thank you for the responses.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Big Brothers/Big sisters perhaps as well?

Old 07-30-2012, 01:06 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
The Y can always use volunteers.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:10 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,327 times
The problem with our local governments is the same as those at the federal level. It's to damn big and in to much of our business. Generating more money is not the solution (as in taxes) Spending less is. Get rid of big government. Drastically reduce social welfare programs. No more free rides. I'm tired of carrying the load!

Revolution.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 AM

395 posts, read 458,557 times
Default Improvements are subjective

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT View Post
My hopes are that some of you might expand my knowledge of challenges that face our state. I do not wish to turn this in to any sort of a political debate, but purely expose ways that our state can improve.

Thank you for your time,

Steve
Thinking of ways to improve the state is a pretty subjective topic Steve.

For me one of the most important things is that our tax dollars not be wasted at the municipal level or state level on anything that is not necessary and beneficial to most of the population.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:59 PM

369 posts, read 964,581 times
I see too many entitelment programs, too many laws, too many nickle and dime taxes.
I could go on but then somebody might think I was being grouchy.

Wanna really make a difference ?
Embrace Libertarian beliefs, run for office and get the dang gubbermint out or our lives.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
Thinking of ways to improve the state is a pretty subjective topic Steve.

For me one of the most important things is that our tax dollars not be wasted at the municipal level or state level on anything that is not necessary and beneficial to most of the population.
I appreciate the responses. I know that the topic of improving the state is terribly subjective. When I mentioned avoiding politics, I was thinking more along the lines of improvements that can be made regardless of political affiliations. For instance, I don't think anyone can argue that improving reading, mathematics, etc. of children throughout the state would not be beneficial. The same would go for cleaning up parks and recreational areas.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:02 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT View Post
I appreciate the responses. I know that the topic of improving the state is terribly subjective. When I mentioned avoiding politics, I was thinking more along the lines of improvements that can be made regardless of political affiliations. For instance, I don't think anyone can argue that improving reading, mathematics, etc. of children throughout the state would not be beneficial. The same would go for cleaning up parks and recreational areas.
I 've heard that Concord usually has a monthly trails meeting that people attend and they have many trails that people "adopt" and clean up trash when necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire