Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Inexperienced winter driver needs advice on road conditions in Keene, New Hampshire area, leaving for trip in December, no snow driving experience,

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:09 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times

Advertisements

I am so dissapointed, my family and I might not be able to make it out there in time for the foliage. My husband (who is currently ban to the dog house )might have a work schedule conflict. So if this trip doesnt happen, we are going to come out there in early Dec instead. I am sooo mad I cant even tell you. I wanted to see the foliage so bad. But anyway, can you guys tell me if there is usually snow the first or second week of Dec. Also, I have heard how bad the road is from Brattleboro to Keene during winter months, how bad is bad? Should someone that isnt experienced at driving in the snow make that drive? What makes it so scarey? So keep your fingers crossed that we can still make it out there in Oct!! If not then I will see you in Dec
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 08:55 AM

452 posts, read 1,734,092 times
Hi Suzet2262,
Well, if you visit the state during the early part of Dec. odds are you won't see a lot of snow. Just usually cold weather settling in. However it is possible to see snow at that time of year and have it stay for the rest of the winter also. The best driving advice I can offer you and those who are unfamiliar with driving in snow is SLOW DOWN! Your traction is limited and tires can break free of the road easily and, in doing so, no control. Roads covered in ice are even worse. Aggressive snow tires are a tremendous help. Snow tire studs help with ice but are not allowed except during winter driving. But don't let me scare you. On average, we get a snow storm a week of 2 to 8 inches to sometimes only one a month. Of course, there are exception like a 2 day storm that can dump 24 inches or better. Other than city driving where it's difficult to clean the streets, most road are pretty well maintained, especially school bus routes, and you'll find yourself usually driving on dry roads the day after.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:25 PM

562 posts, read 660,297 times
Hey I feel you. I would be hacked over not seeing the leaves too. However I am going at an even worse time - mud season. Right as the snow is leaving.... I hope the wife isn't turned off by that.

Anyway, rent a Land Rover or other SUV which has good tires and go for it

Old 09-30-2007, 07:01 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
oh no suzet I'm so sad !!! You were so excited to see the leaves... You'll have to keep us updated as to what happens.. I hope you're husband can work things out with his job and you'll be on your way in October!!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:29 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,410 times
A work conflict? For a job he won't have to worry about anymore once you move out here? Tell him you're going on your own and he can look after the kids and his job while your out here!!

My stress level at work in SoCal went almost to zero about February this year when we made the final plans to move in time for fall. I just didn't care anymore because I knew I was leaving. Of course, work stress was replaced by fixing-up the house and selling it stress, move planning stress, housing market stress, etc. Two days on Rye beach has fixed that though, I can tell you. Weather here has been early fall perfect for 3 days.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:59 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times
Well we arent going to make it out there in time for fall. Haha Rob I wish my daughter and I could make it out there and he could stay here. But it is supposed to be a family trip, so we will wait. My husband owns an advertising company with a partner, so he will actually be traveling back and fourth. He'll be building up his frequent flyer mileage for sure.

I actually got all teary eyed as I cancelled our reservations today. I made new ones though. We are leaving on Nov 27th. and going to Washington DC first, then up to Keene. I am really upset that I wont see the fall, but next year, we will be living in it, that is the only thing that keeps me still talking to my hubby. It is a good thing I guess that we put it off for a month. Now I will be able to go to The Ross Center in Washington DC. They are supposed to be wonderful at helping people with Anxiety/Panic. So for that I am excited. So when I come up to Keene, I will be feeling a lot better.

Rob I am so happy that you got out of So Cali!! You wont be here for "The Big One"...lol. I am so happy for you, and a bit jealous that you are able to walk along a beautiful beach and see the foliage. I cant wait to do the same. I absolutely hate it here. I am sure just getting out of the stressful way of life here would do wonders for me and my family.

Yes Tara, can you believe it!! I was really mad, but that does no one any good. So we will be there at the end of Nov and then Dec. Atleast I still get to look for homes and check out the town. I think we are going to be moving out there in Jan/Feb. I am just kind of scared about moving out there in the really cold time. But at this point I will take what I can get.

Torrey, we rented a Rav-4, I hope that will be a sufficant car for Nov/Dec. Atleast if we cant see foliage, maybe we will get to see a few snow flakes

Old 10-01-2007, 07:10 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Well we arent going to make it out there in time for fall. Haha Rob I wish my daughter and I could make it out there and he could stay here. But it is supposed to be a family trip, so we will wait. My husband owns an advertising company with a partner, so he will actually be traveling back and fourth. He'll be building up his frequent flyer mileage for sure.

I actually got all teary eyed as I cancelled our reservations today. I made new ones though. We are leaving on Nov 27th. and going to Washington DC first, then up to Keene. I am really upset that I wont see the fall, but next year, we will be living in it, that is the only thing that keeps me still talking to my hubby. It is a good thing I guess that we put it off for a month. Now I will be able to go to The Ross Center in Washington DC. They are supposed to be wonderful at helping people with Anxiety/Panic. So for that I am excited. So when I come up to Keene, I will be feeling a lot better.

Rob I am so happy that you got out of So Cali!! You wont be here for "The Big One"...lol. I am so happy for you, and a bit jealous that you are able to walk along a beautiful beach and see the foliage. I cant wait to do the same. I absolutely hate it here. I am sure just getting out of the stressful way of life here would do wonders for me and my family.

Yes Tara, can you believe it!! I was really mad, but that does no one any good. So we will be there at the end of Nov and then Dec. Atleast I still get to look for homes and check out the town. I think we are going to be moving out there in Jan/Feb. I am just kind of scared about moving out there in the really cold time. But at this point I will take what I can get.

Torrey, we rented a Rav-4, I hope that will be a sufficant car for Nov/Dec. Atleast if we cant see foliage, maybe we will get to see a few snow flakes

Ohh nooo, well you're right being mad will do you no good!! Look at it this way, you'll get to see some christmas lights! Those should be pretty.. And who knows,farmers almanac is predicting a snowy winter in the NE.. you might get lucky for sure!! Weather up here is crazy, like 3 days ago it was almost 90 yesterday I don't think it made it much out of the 60's.. Nuts I tell ya!!! Plus you're gonna get to wear those winter clothes you wanted!! Coats and gloves and hats.. Average highs in the low 40's and low's in the low 20's to teens. Definetly gonna get that taste of winter... it'll feel great!

Last edited by Tarastomsgirl; 10-01-2007 at 07:29 AM..

Old 10-01-2007, 07:37 AM

450 posts, read 558,221 times
and yet florida has been colder

Old 10-01-2007, 07:41 AM

885 posts, read 2,661,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Well we arent going to make it out there in time for fall. Haha Rob I wish my daughter and I could make it out there and he could stay here. But it is supposed to be a family trip, so we will wait. My husband owns an advertising company with a partner, so he will actually be traveling back and fourth. He'll be building up his frequent flyer mileage for sure.
Well, as a business owner, you can't just check out early like a salary job. Hopefully you'll get some of those beautiful crisp frosty days with azure sky's and water. Bring a thermos for hot chocolate, and remember not to breath that fresh air in too deep when it's 10 degrees below freezing (it hurts!).

Old 10-11-2007, 11:26 AM

178 posts, read 801,338 times
rmcewan-- I see you moved to rye,NH. I'm interested in Rye and other towns in the area and also western NH . How did you decide to move to Rye, or is that just where you found a house? Is flooding there a problem?. i saw on this site that the seacoast area had a lot of flooding in may of 06.
What is Rye like, does it have a nice town square or "downtown" area?. What's the housing market like? I noticed there a a LOT of houses for sale in so. NH generally, many of which have been on the market a long time. Are the prices coming down yet? Any disappointments in the new town, and what do you like best?
hope I haven't overwhelmed you w/ questions, but this is the only place to get the real lowdown on a given place. Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire