Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:31 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,705,301 times

Advertisements

Well as we all know the U.S economy is horrible, getting worse daily and we havent hit the bottom yet.

I'm living out here in Las Vegas, while i'm doing ok, others here are suffering real bad. Lots of lay offs, salaries cut, no more bonus checks, more and more people losing their homes.

So i ask overall how is the NH economy right now, as of 1-09? We were considering a move to suburbs outside of Manchester, Nashua possibly concord. Are many people losing their homes there? Are lay offs common?

Any job growth?

Please fill me in.

Thanks -T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 07:32 AM

452 posts, read 1,736,313 times
Over all, it certainly isn't great. We have experienced a number of layoffs from companies, both large and small, recently. As usual, the housing industry has taken a pretty big hit around here. Most related business are showing the signs of this recession.

If you have employment lined up before you arrive, you'll be doing fine. It truly depends on your field of expertise. And, with cash in your pocket, housing shouldn't be difficult to find either. As most would agree here, do your home work before you move.

Best of luck with your relocation, Positiveone.....

Old 02-02-2009, 05:30 AM

909 posts, read 3,368,262 times
Dh had a great job when we moved here, and he still has it. But we are now living in potential crisis mode, in case he gets laid off. His job is tied to the auto industry, rather than the state/local economy. The way things are going right now, we wouldn't be surprised either way.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:30 PM

6,590 posts, read 6,766,772 times
NH does better than any other New England state in bad times. Our unique tax set-up allows for more stability.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 PM

26,448 posts, read 46,714,863 times
I would say that NH economy is in a rough patch right now. I hear that it is fairly tough for the younger College graduates at the present time. NH is doing fairly well compared with ME and VT right now, though.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,881,729 times
As far as I can tell there are not that many layoffs but nobody is hiring either. The mall stores were fairly hard hit by a slow holiday season and lots of merchandise is in the half price range. Local Resturants do not seem to be doing very well. We have has supper in a couple where we were the only customers around 6 - 7 PM.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:08 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,967,906 times
Nice to see a post from you, Positive One Things here are much the same as every other part of the country. We don't have the huge employment centers here in NH, but over the MA border, I hear Raytheon has had more layoffs, many companies along the 128 corridor have laid off thousands more. My husband's company has been hit, and every month we hold our breath hoping that he's not the next one Greg mentioned mall stores & restaurants, right here in town, the Marshalls (dept. store) closed a few weeks ago. People are holding on to their $$ for necessary purchases only. I've noticed a HUGE increase of people at the grocery store that I shop (and my friend who only shops at the more expensive grocery in town reports that the store is practically empty when she shops now!)

I'm thinking it's great time to buy Christmas gifts for next year...

Old 02-03-2009, 11:53 AM

15 posts, read 32,307 times
Some new stats came out last week from the National Assoc. of Realtors. December unemployment rate for New Hampshire was 4.3 as compared to 6.7 nationally, and 6.2 in New England. Job growth rate for New Hampshire was up .06% for the same period - Nov. 07 - Nov. 08 compared to -1.4 nationally and -.6 for New England. New Hampshire's median family income in $74,600 - 5th highest in the nation. So overall, things are not as bad here as they seem to be in other parts of the country.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:01 PM

452 posts, read 1,736,313 times
I highly question the unemployment rates. I honestly believe there are a heck of a lot more people unemployed in this state beyond the 4.3 percent at this time. However, I will believe that 4.3 percent of the work force who are covered by workers compensation are receiving unemployment benefits. This number usually does not include most of the self employed or sub-contractors, nor anyone who has received benefits over 26 weeks. And, now that the Christmas shopping season is over, you can send that job growth rate of .06% into the tank.

Sorry, those number don't excite me much at all. it's Kind of like that "Stimulus Package". The numbers sound great but, I feel the only area that will get stimulation for us tax payers, is located in the lower posterior, if you catch my drift.

Remember, the difference between a recession and a depression, for most folks at least, is the simple fact of having a job.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 PM

247 posts, read 538,968 times
There are a lot of self employed people here and people emplyed in MA, that is why the unemployment % number has not risen much, because they dont collect umemployment.The economy here is the has been slowly declining for the last year and has gotten noticebly worse the last few months.There are more independently minded small businees people here and a small union presence and also a lot of people that work in Mass which i think contributes to the overall low unemployment figures but it is here.They are talking about an economic stimulus package now and they just said on the news NH is supposed to get about 680 million if it passes, but much of this i bet will go towards welfare,govt programs, assitance and things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire