Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 08:13 AM

3 posts, read 6,149 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are looking to move to the Nashua area. We have a 4 month old son and we wanted to know which neighborhood would have a lot of young kids with great schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 08:19 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,626 times
I've heard that the areas around the Bicentennial School/in that sending area are best (school wise); and given the price of homes/style of neighborhood- I imagine there are many young children as well.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:56 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,556 times
I grew up on Crestview terrace in Nashua from 1985-1993 when I graduated highschool.

I loved it here because there were trails at the end of the street (Crestview is a dead end street, very quiet), and the golf course / Nashua country club is behind the neighborhood. Great sledding, all the kids gather on the golf course to sled in the wintertime, its like a ski slope with tons of families each winter.

We even ice skated on the ponds near the holes out there.

There is a park with swings, basketball courts, and seasaws only a nice bike ride down a hill a few blocks over where we'd play too. I'm not sure if there are tons of kids that way, as neighborhoods change as people move on, but I used to babysit for at least 10 houses in that neighborhood each summer for ice cream money, so people enjoyed raising their kids back there.

The neighborhood is nestled up in the hills and when your kids are old enough to learn to bike ride, they'll be happy you chose such a great neighborhood. The trees are huge, shaggy, and it feels like you're riding through heaven down by the elementary schools. Sunset Heights is the elementary, Elm st. was the jr high, and it's near Rivier college and Haywards ice cream parlor. We used to play tennis at the college in the summer time by using their courts.

I remember the kids in the neighborhood would put a note on my door and go hide. I'd find a scavenger hunt list one night where you had until the street lights came on to find a list of item hidden in the neighborhood. The older folks would sit on their three season porches and point to help us out when we'd get lost looking for strange things like a broken fly swatter hanging in a tree!

We also played "jail" which was fun. We would dress in all black, you'd get the "secret code" on your door or taped to your window, signaling which team you were on. This meant you had 4 people placed in a "jail" or basically tied to a tree in the forest or hiding behind someone's shed, and you would have to rescue them before the other team tagged you out. It was huge suspense, tons of fun, and you could borrow anyone's yard back then for great jail spots, because the parents would enjoy watching the kids be sneaky like ninja's to play such a fun game.

Do kids even do this sort of thing anymore? I loved growing up here, the kids were so full of imagination, I have yet to compare NH kids to the other places I've lived. Magic I tell ya!

Last edited by Katlakat; 09-10-2009 at 04:01 AM.. Reason: memories!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:45 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
Do kids even do this sort of thing anymore? I loved growing up here, the kids were so full of imagination, I have yet to compare NH kids to the other places I've lived. Magic I tell ya!
You know there was something I saw the other day, that I saw teenagers doing and it amazed me...it was something fun that teenagers in other areas I've lived were "too cool" for. Made me smile and glad to live here. I wish I could remember what it was...

I also think more kids in NH still "play outside" than in many other areas. I had the same magical childhood you did (but in NJ) and want to make sure wherever I live has the same opportunities...

Old 09-13-2009, 01:55 PM

407 posts, read 1,074,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
You know there was something I saw the other day, that I saw teenagers doing and it amazed me...it was something fun that teenagers in other areas I've lived were "too cool" for. Made me smile and glad to live here. I wish I could remember what it was...

I also think more kids in NH still "play outside" than in many other areas. I had the same magical childhood you did (but in NJ) and want to make sure wherever I live has the same opportunities...
Sounds like my first seven short years in NJ before my parents moved us to Florida. Mom & Dad, I'll never forgive ya, but still love you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire