Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to New Hampshire: diversity, weather, four seasons, flood damage, tornado.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:10 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,656 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I've posted a few threads on this website and your responses have been very helpful and informative. The majority of you agree that New Hampshire is one of the better places to live and raise a family in the United States. We currently live in Florida and are seriously considering moving to your state. That being said, do the current weather conditions, that being winter, sometimes make you feel that "enough is enough," and begin to persuade you to move to a warmer climate? Are the cold temps, snow, icy roads, etc., make you feel that it would be better to move to warmer locations, and lose the quality of life you currently enjoy? I sometimes feel that we would be better off staying in Florida and not have to tolerate the winters in New Hampshire, but we would still be living in an area that is rife with congestion, crime, over development, HEAT & HUMIDITY, and too much diversity. I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Thanks and stay warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 08:26 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
We've been through two NH winters (first set a record for snowfall, second set a record for ice).

It's really hard to answer your question. I actually really like NH winters; they are white and snowy...which is what I think winter should be- I don't mind the lenght as long as the white snow is falling. What gets to be is NH's spring- it takes a LONG time for leaves to show up on the trees despite warming days because of remaining cold nights. This took a lot of adjustment...we were used to seeing the Cherryblossoms in DC in March, everything popping into life...when the snow stopped- but spring just kind of waited...it was a shock.

That said, we're adapting to it rather quickly (but remember- I grew up with "winter"; not warm all year round).

After reading your posts and your concern about cold/winter weather; I would be apprehensive about moving to NH if I were you- at least without spending some time up here. As much as you hate the other stuff- if you hate the cold more, you won't be happy here.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:28 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
I have lived in New England all my life, and I find this fear of winter overblown. Last week in much of New England it was close to 50 degrees for several days. Until this week we have had no snow for 3 weeks ! Jan & Feb are difficult, but even in those 2 months you get days on end of 35 degree weather. And, lol, I don't even wear a coat when it's over 30 degrees. You could not pay me to live in the kind of heat & humidity you put up with.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
First of all, my husband and I love the 4 seasons-we always have and always will. We are outdoors people and enjoy the 4 season outdoor activities that NH has to offer. We are originally from NJ and have lived here over 10 years. The outdoors and the weather are two of the things that originally drew us here. There were other factors as well- like quality of life.

The first winter that we lived here, we had a few storms that were 2.5-3 feet each. That did not bother us. We have lived through all kinds of weather. One year I believe the whole month of January we never got above 5 degrees and many mornings we would go to work and it would be 20 below. There have been winters with a lot of snow, a little snow, cold winters, mild winters. We have lived through all kinds of weather and actually enjoyed it for a while.

Since 2005, we have had precipitation record breakers of every kind. We have had three major floods, we have had a less major flood and tornado last summer. Last winter, my city had it's snowiest winter on record and with about another foot yesterday, we are right on target with last year. I would actually prefer a cold spell over all this precipitation that we have had lately.

I have to admit that the past 4 years with all this precipitation-rain and snow and a lot of cloudiness-especially last summer-we are starting to tire of it. I would never ever live in Florida, but we are considering moving back to NJ or maybe PA, especially if other changes occur in this state.

I have to say that if someone had told us 10 years ago that we would tire of this weather, I would not have believed them. I am even more surprised that my husband is tiring of this-never in my life did I think he would. Perhaps it is because we are older(not old, just older!), who knows. However, it is not the cold that bother us, it is the cloudiness and precipitation.

Last edited by nicolem; 02-20-2009 at 08:51 AM..

Old 02-20-2009, 10:26 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post

I have to admit that the past 4 years with all this precipitation-rain and snow and a lot of cloudiness-especially last summer-we are starting to tire of it.

However, it is not the cold that bother us, it is the cloudiness and precipitation.
Nicolem - thanks, that was insightful to me. "Grey" gets to me too...

How muddy does it get and when is the worst period of "muck"?

(There is a bit of "the grass is always greener" though.... the thought of rain now is so very appealing as we're in an area that hasn't seen significant rain since Sept 07. We're now classified as a "severe" drought, not long and we'll be "extreme". When you've got livestock, as I do, it's hell.)

Old 02-20-2009, 10:49 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Nicolem - thanks, that was insightful to me. "Grey" gets to me too...

How muddy does it get and when is the worst period of "muck"?

(There is a bit of "the grass is always greener" though.... the thought of rain now is so very appealing as we're in an area that hasn't seen significant rain since Sept 07. We're now classified as a "severe" drought, not long and we'll be "extreme". When you've got livestock, as I do, it's hell.)
Well I guess mud season is usually in full swing in April -depending on how the snow and snow melt is going. If you have to travel a lot of dirt roads then it can be a real pain. For me personally, the worst part is that it keeps me off of some hiking trails. Most of the roads that I travel are not affected by mud season. However those on farms and that travel dirt roads are affected.

I agree about the drought. However the floods that we have had since 2005 have cost people their lives and caused enormous damage and destruction to houses, roads etc. I hope the weather for you and us improves to enough rain to be drought-free but not to the extent that we have witnessed here in the past few years. I don't know how much more flooding some of these roads can take. There have already been many roads washed out.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Since 2005, we have had precipitation record breakers of every kind. We have had three major floods, we have had a less major flood and tornado last summer. Last winter, my city had it's snowiest winter on record and with about another foot yesterday, we are right on target with last year. I would actually prefer a cold spell over all this precipitation that we have had lately.
We've been planning a move up north for a couple of years now, and I don't think that snow per se would bother us too much .... we're retired, so we wouldn't generally have to drive in really bad weather. Figured as long as we had a snow-blower, and a wood-burning stove, and maybe a back-up generator, we'd be able to outlast a snow storm.

But I am concerned about the flooding. Maybe it's just been a bad stretch for NE, but it seems to me like there have been more floods than usual over the last few years. In fact, one of our trips up through NE - in May, 2006 - was cut short due to major flooding in MA, ME, and NH. We made it as far as my sister's place in southern MA and had to turn back.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times
Our drought has cost livelihoods, but not lives. The wildlife is hurting too as not only is there no water or forage, but a phenomenal number of trees have been lost.

I saw on a national map that NH (and a lot of New England in general) was at +4 inches over the normal amount of precip for 09 already. (It was just a "greater than", no actual amount given).

It's a conundrum.... and water is something we research very carefully when looking for where to live. Aside from rain/forage/grazing, I can't tell you how many places I've looked at in other states where the owner has disclosed that, yes, the well has run dry.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
Another key point is that how much mud season or even heavy rains affect you really depends on where you live. Obviously certain areas/properties will never have specific "flood" issues; whereas others will have it on a frequent basis. Likewise an area with good draining & plenty of foliage will have less "mud" issues.

It's one of those things most people ignore when they look at homes- which isn't good.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:27 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
Hello everyone. I've posted a few threads on this website and your responses have been very helpful and informative. The majority of you agree that New Hampshire is one of the better places to live and raise a family in the United States. We currently live in Florida and are seriously considering moving to your state. That being said, do the current weather conditions, that being winter, sometimes make you feel that "enough is enough," and begin to persuade you to move to a warmer climate? Are the cold temps, snow, icy roads, etc., make you feel that it would be better to move to warmer locations, and lose the quality of life you currently enjoy? I sometimes feel that we would be better off staying in Florida and not have to tolerate the winters in New Hampshire, but we would still be living in an area that is rife with congestion, crime, over development, HEAT & HUMIDITY, and too much diversity. I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Thanks and stay warm.
I don't think that the winters in N.H. are nearly as bad as the warmer months down here. It's relitivley easy to put on some heavier clothing and go out and enjoy the colder weather.There's a awful lot of neat stuff to do in N.H. in the winter if your able to adjust. If you can't it's probably just as unbearable as the summers down here. I truley feel that what you have to put up with to get thru the winters up there is a small price to pay to get everything that living in N.H. has to offer. I know that no place is perfect but after living in N.H. for 47 years and down here for 8 it's more than obvious where i belong. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire