Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 05:02 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,086 times

Advertisements

Retired vet from the northeast, been away for years, currently on west coast, struggling on where to relocate to, as I want to live out in the country and in peace, want to buy a home with a little acreage, I would put NH number one on my list if it weren't for the high property taxes. When I lived up in Littleton some years ago, I was renting and I remember my electric bills were twice as high as they ever were here in WA state. Just curious, and I am sure I am out of luck, but is there anywhere in NH with low property taxes? Looks like there are no tax exemptions for veterans either anywhere in New England. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 05:32 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Retired vet from the northeast, been away for years, currently on west coast, struggling on where to relocate to, as I want to live out in the country and in peace, want to buy a home with a little acreage, I would put NH number one on my list if it weren't for the high property taxes. When I lived up in Littleton some years ago, I was renting and I remember my electric bills were twice as high as they ever were here in WA state. Just curious, and I am sure I am out of luck, but is there anywhere in NH with low property taxes? Looks like there are no tax exemptions for veterans either anywhere in New England. Thanks
Yes, a number of towns have low property taxes if you don't mind living in a more rural area like the Lakes Region. I would look in places like Alton, Wakefield, interior parts of Tuftonboro and Moultonboro (away from the lake), and Freedom. These towns have a good number of smaller ranch houses with annual property taxes in the $2,000 range or possibly a bit less depending on assessed value.
Electric rates: tend to be higher than the national average. Look closely at the type and number of heating sources that a house might have and the level of insulation it contains.

http://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/m...2013-local.pdf

Old 05-20-2014, 05:43 PM

yes I m finding a ton of houses with w acreage in my range in Maine by far. I see from CD the avg property taxes in towns like Paris ME, and Poland ME, which according to CD, are cheap, per avg. Starting to look at NH towns as well. Concern then would also be the heating costs and electric in both states. yea both NH and ME have high electricity rates, way above US avg looks like..

http://www.neo.ne.gov/statshtml/204.htm

Old 05-20-2014, 09:32 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Rural dwellers often heat with wood they find for free and drag home as they find it. Or buy a truck load of 5 to 15 cords (2) trucks and saw split and stack. Back up heat tends to be oil or gas. I have to wonder if Tuftonboro really is lower in taxes. There is nearly no business there, and many homes built cost 5 million dollars now. Effingham and Freedom have lower rates. These rates are do to being over run from Democrats from away. That and Bill Clinton's Housing bubble. Between Aug 04 and Jan 05 every place in the state was re-evaluated to lower taxes. Sounded good. The tax rate even fell. But then every single tar paper shack in the state instantly became at least 100,000 dollars in value more than it had been.

A good part of How i know is i was pre approved for a 33,000 dollar loan for a cottage on 2 acres. I got sick really bad and when i came too that same place with out so much as 1 new nail had a asking price of 165,000, was sold to a fool for 133,000 and he's lost his shirt. (no brainer)

Still asking prices are way out of line while they have come down. I think this is Nation wide.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:10 PM

I think need to focus more on Maine....thanks for info

Old 05-21-2014, 05:39 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Looks like there are no tax exemptions for veterans either anywhere in New England.
I know of two towns with vet property tax credits ($400-$500), Barrington and Somersworth. There are probably many more.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:12 AM

383 posts, read 397,431 times
As pointed out, each town has it's own tax rate and they vary greatly so picking the right town will have a significant impact on your overall tax burden. However, you need to balance ALL the taxes you will be subjected to, not just the property tax. We found that once you include the fact that NH has no income (except on interest above a min. value), no sales and a reasonable gas tax (to name a few big ticket items), it is one of the least expensive places to live in New England. We found several towns in the Lakes Region with a reasonable tax rate and recently closed on a 6.5 acre property.

We currently live in CT and were originally looking in Maine for a place to build our retirement home, but overall found the cost to live in Maine would be significantly more than NH. I keep hearing about high property taxes, but compared to CT, NH property taxes are reasonable and we will not have to deal with a 5+ % tax on income, 6.35% on sales and our gas is at least 0.25 cents/gal. higher. All this adds up pretty quickly. Good luck with your search.

Lou

Old 05-21-2014, 05:23 PM

Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2011: $4,922 (2.2%)

......this is for Somersworth, I had a friend who lived there some years ago....that is one high avg property rate..

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 05-21-2014 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire