Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:55 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times

Advertisements

my we're going off topic again. <sigh>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
The 1992 GAO study that declared seat belt laws “work” reviewed only 44 of 2,500 available studies.
No, that 1992 GAO study found 2500 CITATIONS of documents of potentially relevance to the questions GAO was asked to answer. They eliminated all but 85 from consideration because they

* did not directly address at least one of the three questions they were asked
to consider;
* were published before 1980;
* did not contain original data or analyses;
* studied only a selected subgroup of safety belt types rather than all safety
belts in general use during the study period;
* were based on foreign experience;
* were editorial or policy discussions rather than actual descriptions of
research performed; or
* were duplicate citations, interim reports superseded by final reports, or
the same research published in different places.

Of those, all buy 44 were eliminated because of issues with the quality of the anaylsis or data.

For those interested in the actual report, rather than the Freedom Alert's review of the report that Crazy Dave cited, you can google the report # itself -- GAO/RCED-92-106. You'll find the scope and methodology of the report on p. 16.

I also didn't really hear anyone in this thread arguing FOR an adult seat belt law in NH. I'm certainly not in favor of one. I just think that if someone isn't going to choose to protect themselves as best they can, I shouldn't have to pay for their medical care and upkeep with my tax dollars.

As for abortion rights and gay rights...what does that have to do with this thread -- other than to make assumptions about whether people supporting the former also support the latter?

Old 03-01-2009, 05:56 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post
No, that 1992 GAO study found 2500 CITATIONS of documents of potentially relevance to the questions GAO was asked to answer. They eliminated all but 85 from consideration because they

* did not directly address at least one of the three questions they were asked
to consider;
* were published before 1980;
* did not contain original data or analyses;
* studied only a selected subgroup of safety belt types rather than all safety
belts in general use during the study period;
* were based on foreign experience;
* were editorial or policy discussions rather than actual descriptions of
research performed; or
* were duplicate citations, interim reports superseded by final reports, or
the same research published in different places.

Of those, all buy 44 were eliminated because of issues with the quality of the anaylsis or data.

For those interested in the actual report, rather than the Freedom Alert's review of the report that Crazy Dave cited, you can google the report # itself -- GAO/RCED-92-106. You'll find the scope and methodology of the report on p. 16.

I also didn't really hear anyone in this thread arguing FOR an adult seat belt law in NH. I'm certainly not in favor of one. I just think that if someone isn't going to choose to protect themselves as best they can, I shouldn't have to pay for their medical care and upkeep with my tax dollars.

As for abortion rights and gay rights...what does that have to do with this thread -- other than to make assumptions about whether people supporting the former also support the latter?

but you think you should have to oay for the uninsured who get injured by seat belts, or whose lives seat belts save but are severely injured due to other caftors in the crash? Ah I see. You will also note that I did put in a caveat in that post. Any argument has detractions and one can easily spend a good amount of thei time finding pros and cons on the same issue. One thing however, is the injuries resultant from seat belts are real. , If anything we should be arguing AGAINST child seat belt laws as they are the ones most likely to be injured by seat belts.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:32 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
but you think you should have to oay for the uninsured who get injured by seat belts, or whose lives seat belts save but are severely injured due to other caftors in the crash? Ah I see.
erm...no. I didn't discuss my views on either of those scenarios.

Jeez - this board ate a bowl full of nasty this morning!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post
erm...no. I didn't discuss my views on either of those scenarios.

Jeez - this board ate a bowl full of nasty this morning!
actually I feel I have been quite polite and civil, never once accusing anyone of being stupid simply because of their false belief they are safer with a seat belt on, despite the ovwerwhelming number of buckled in individuals who die everyday.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:42 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Default Call and Make Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
If yo live in Plymouth, Barrington, or Manchester, please contact your senator and express your feelings about mandatory seatbelt use!
There is an article in the Monitor about the state of the bill Seatbelt article (http://cmstage.sx.atl.publicus.com/article/20090226/FRONTPAGE/902260301 - broken link) Apparently it passed the house resoundingly, and is still due in the Senate. There are 5 senators who are currently undecided (otherwise it looks like the mandatories have it).
"Gov. John Lynch has declined to offer an opinion on the seatbelt bill. He has said he thinks seatbelts are important, but he has not said whether he thinks the state should mandate their use."

<sigh> what's the state coming to?! Why can't the insurance companies simply state in their policies that if you choose to not use a seatbelt (or wear a helmet), should you find yourself in an accident they will only cover up to $X - whatever would be reasonable for someone who did wear them. It's still your choice but the insurance isn't raising everyone's rates to cover the expenses.
We all have to get loud and tell the media, write letters and call your firends to help defeat this measure!!!!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:47 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
He's just honoring the tradition of governing by waiting for public opinion.

But wouldn't it be better for us if we were required to wear helmets all the time and tie a pillow to out butts so we don't get hurt if we fall down ?</scarcasm>
OMG you should have heard what motorcycle laws were being suggested in Britain back when I left! Limits on engine capacity, limits on HP, "leg protectors", 3 levels of rider examination, noise limiters, mandatory windshields, mandatory reflective clothing. And that was a CONSERVATIVE government!!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I wear a seat belt in my autos because it hold me in my seat when I am trail breaking into a 25 mph off ramp at 75 or so. All four tires are sliding and I do not need the distraction of keeping my butt planted. Seatbelts also help me stay in my seat when I am cut off at a tool booth by some distracted jerk on a cell phone.

I wear a helmet, boots, gloves and a leather jacket when I am riding a motorcycle because my, admittedly, thick skull is not a hard as a steel guardrail and my skin is not as abrasive resistant as leather or polyamide. I do not want to die and I do not like pain.

I do not think a law is needed to enforce this level of common sense. Unbelted drivers can still put their heads through a windshield and helmetless bikers get killed from head injuries. If they do not have the sense to protect themselves it is no skin off my a**.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wear a seat belt in my autos because it hold me in my seat when I am trail breaking into a 25 mph off ramp at 75 or so. All four tires are sliding and I do not need the distraction of keeping my butt planted. Seatbelts also help me stay in my seat when I am cut off at a tool booth by some distracted jerk on a cell phone.

I wear a helmet, boots, gloves and a leather jacket when I am riding a motorcycle because my, admittedly, thick skull is not a hard as a steel guardrail and my skin is not as abrasive resistant as leather or polyamide. I do not want to die and I do not like pain.

I do not think a law is needed to enforce this level of common sense. Unbelted drivers can still put their heads through a windshield and helmetless bikers get killed from head injuries. If they do not have the sense to protect themselves it is no skin off my a**.
so you are saying that
A..you take off ramps at seventy five miles an hour
and
B..I have no common sense

Is that correct?
Yep You are the guy they made seatbelt laws for, and the guy that will keep those folks who operate the Jaws of life busy one day, and the guy who will up my insurance premium because you survived one of your stunts on the highway and lived but were left a total veggie.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:17 AM

Excellent Op-Ed
UnionLeader.com - New Hampshire news, business and sports - You will be safe: By order of the state - Sunday, Mar. 15, 2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire