Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 11:44 PM

578 posts, read 2,099,076 times

Advertisements

In the next year I am going to be looking after school to move and begin full time work.
I am in mid 20s.

I attended undergrad at Northeastern in Boston.
I am in graduate school at UCONN Storrs.

Both areas had their pros and cons.
Boston was an area with a lot of young people, and things to do.
It also was expensive, and being such a big metro area, it had that I wouldn't say unfriendly vibe, but you could easily blend in and not be acknowledged.

Storrs, CT is pretty, and closer to my family in Northern VA.
However, it is rural, isolated, and hard to meet people.
There is very little to do.

I've got friends in Boston and the Seacoast.
I have been to the Seacost, and it struck as being a nice are.
It had a nice, established character yet seemed down to earth.
It didn't appear crowded, it was somewhat near Boston, but not isolated.

I like the town of Portsmouth.

I wanted to know, for a person in their mid 20s from out of state who knows a couple, but that's it, of locals, and is kind of an introvert, would this area be a good fit?
Is there stuff to do, are there a good amount of young people, is it an open, friendly area?
Or, being from out of state and introvert, is it more reserved for those who already have connections and would I have a hard time not being isolated?

I'd not want to move further from my family to have it be like Storrs, CT.

I'd like a place that was big enough to have things to do, a good amount of open, young people that would not be hard to meet, yet wouldn't be too small so everybody knew your business or too big where you could go pass by.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:40 AM

12 posts, read 40,975 times
Portsmouth is a fine town for a younger professional. I just recently moved to Hampton and have found the people to be nothing but extremely polite. Portsmouth is a nice town with a decent arts/shopping district that will allow you to delve into a number of different interests. I'd highly recommend it.

I find people from Boston to be much more exclusive and this is coming from someone who was Prep-school educated in Massachusetts. Portsmouth is a much more "down-to-earth" place.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:37 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,973 times
If you're an introvert, you might have trouble anywhere. Portsmouth, though, has just about everything you'd want socially, and if it doesn't, you can easily make a trip to Boston. The downtown and waterfront area is popular with everyone, including lots of 20-somethings. I would say you wouldn't have any issues meeting people if you're up to it - no one will shun you because you're not from the area. Portsmouth just ain't like that, at least when I lived there.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 AM

758 posts, read 2,890,034 times
I agree with what everyone else said. I moved here 2 years ago and have a great group of friends now. Portsmouth/Seacoast is definitely the place to be around if you're in your 20s. Dover is pretty popular as it's a little cheaper than Pmouth.

I have found though that a lot of 20-30 somethings that attended UNH stick around and pretty much stick to their own circle of friends from college. Almost all my friends out here moved from somewhere else and were in a similar boat as myself.

I'm not sure if you're into sports but this league is a lot of fun and a great way to meet new people. I've met most of my good friends out here through this in some way or another.

nhssc.com

Old 03-25-2009, 09:54 PM

5 posts, read 9,085 times
I'm really surprised...but Portsmouth is a good town for an out of state, young person with stuff going on?
How come...what seperates it from Amherst, MA or Storrs, CT?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
blue - I graduated from U-Conn in Storrs. I never had any problem meeting people. If I had been a batchlor, it was, and presumably still is, a target rich environment. The sea coast is highly variable including the University of NH within a short drive of Portsmouth. I think the NH seacoast is one of the real garden spots of the universe.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:40 PM
SFT

79 posts, read 207,409 times
As much as I love the New Hampshire seacoast during the summer, I find it depressing during the winter. Portsmouth is pretty cool, but I feel like it is more of a town than a city.

I personally prefer the Manchester area as there are plenty of areas around Manchester that are more rural and you still have the city within 15-20 minutes, or less depending on where you live. Also, Manchester is only like 35-45 minutes from Hampton and Portsmouth. If you are a skier/snowboarder, Manchester area is pretty close to some pretty decent mountains as well. Manchester is also a little bit closer to Boston, MA if you ever wanted to make trips down to that area.

Everyone will have a different opinion though so probably best to just make a few visits.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:51 PM

105 posts, read 208,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
blue - I graduated from U-Conn in Storrs. I never had any problem meeting people. If I had been a batchlor, it was, and presumably still is, a target rich environment. The sea coast is highly variable including the University of NH within a short drive of Portsmouth. I think the NH seacoast is one of the real garden spots of the universe.
Funny. I graduated from UConn too.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:19 AM

15 posts, read 57,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
Funny. I graduated from UConn too.
How did YOU find UCONN compared to the Seacoast.
I find Storrs (live in Tolland) as a graduate student to be isolated, depressing, and IMPOSSIBLE to meet people.

From what I have seen about the seacoast, I like it.
Would this place be a lot better and easier to meet people?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:29 PM

105 posts, read 208,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
How did YOU find UCONN compared to the Seacoast.
I find Storrs (live in Tolland) as a graduate student to be isolated, depressing, and IMPOSSIBLE to meet people.

From what I have seen about the seacoast, I like it.
Would this place be a lot better and easier to meet people?
Hard to say really. I went to UConn as an undergrad---lived in the dorms the first 2 years, spent the third in England, lived in a house in a rural area off 44 next to a gravel pit the last year. So, I knew a lot of people while there. That said though, I was really ready to leave after graduating, and I wouldn't have wanted to live off campus without knowing anyone. It is a pretty isolated area--especially if you don't have a car--which I never did.

I'm from NH, and never lived in the Seacoast area, but the area around Portsmouth is a lot more densely populated than the far NE area of Conn--and if you lived in Portsmouth it would be very different than around Storrs--and a lot more cosmopolitan. I'm sure you'd like it. I know I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire