Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 04:54 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,200,973 times

Advertisements

I was curious about this....The daughter of a good friend of ours in NY basically died on the ballfield 2 or 3 years ago, now and was able to be resuscitated because of the presence of the AED (automated external defibrillator) that was on the premises. I was wondering if NH schools have them.....or if there are any where the "citizens gather"? After Kaitlin had her experience, her friend was not as lucky......

This is a link to our friends' experience:
Kaitlin Forbes was "safe at first." (click on the testimonial video).

Kaitlyn and her mother are going to be on the Bonnie Hunt show this Thursday, April 8, 2009 - to "get the word out."......A quote from the website:

"Kaitlin & Linda Forbes: Imagine being a high school student, perfectly healthy -- and going into cardiac arrest. As if that weren't bad enough, now imagine it happens to your best friend as well. Meet Kaitlin and her mother, Linda, who lived this amazing story. Also, tune in to learn what you can do if you (or someone you love) find yourself in this situation. " http://www.bonniehunt.com/promos/wed...any_murphy.php

Anyway - I was just curious if the schools, town halls, etc. have them in NH..I haven't seen them around town here, but I will be asking the next time I visit places.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 08:13 PM

53 posts, read 131,589 times
I'm not sure about Littleton, but the elementary school in Franconia definitely has one, and I'm pretty sure that the elementary school in Bethlehem has one too.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
I'm not sure about Littleton, but the elementary school in Franconia definitely has one, and I'm pretty sure that the elementary school in Bethlehem has one too.
Thanks Slalom - We don't have kids in the school system, but I was curious how widespread they are in NH.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:03 PM

142 posts, read 575,069 times
Hi Dare,Littleton HS has one I don't know about the lower grades. My does cross country and they put heart monitors on the kids so they can watch their heart rate and then when they get back the coach can hook up to the computer and read it to see if there is a problem.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,467,498 times
Roe, how cool!
The nurse at Hollis Brookline Middle School told me that she just ordered an AED!

Old 04-08-2009, 05:25 AM

Roerinaci and Lisa - That's great news for both areas! After seeing the postive results for Darren and Linda's family and reading more on the subject, I'm really convinced schools should have them.....

Old 04-09-2009, 08:30 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,172,239 times
I'm not sure how many are in schools, but from 2002-2005, 758 AED's were placed within NH communities under the federal program, Bureau of Emergency Medical Services (a division of the Health & Human Services Dept.).

there is a lot of discussion on how much these AED's are actually needed for children....in addition to the cost of the device, every staff member must be trained in how to use it. It doesn't do any good to have a device if nobody knows how to use it.

In 2007, a law was passed in New Hampshire encouraging all schools to have automated external defibrillators.

As part of the law, a commission was created that is responsible for collecting donations and using that money to provide funding to schools to purchase defibrillators. (approximately $1,200. each).

Nashua, for example, has 9 AED's covering the two high schools.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:42 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,076,337 times
trained in how to use it??? the things are designed for just anyone off the street to use! Sure you can have training, but there are pictures on each piece that shows you where and how to place them, plus the thing talks to you and tells you what to do. All you have to do is press the big green start button. And if you don't have the pads in the right place, it will keep telling you to put them in the right place, it won't allow the shock. And it tells you to get clear. It's pretty dang simple.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:50 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,172,239 times
agreed - even a caveman can do it...lol
NH AED statute RSA 153-A:30 states, “Every person, association, corporation or other organization that acquires an AED shall require anticipated responders expected to use the AED to receive training in CPR and AED use. This section shall not limit the use of the AED to the anticipated responder nor shall this section limit the provisions of RSA 153-A:31.”

therefore, CPR training is required for AED use at ALL locations. Also, schools are required to know how to MAINTAIN the devices. The pads and the batteries need to be replaced every couple of years and temperature extremes must be avoided.

the Food & Drug Administration consider the AED's to be a Class III device and a prescription or a doctor's note is required before one can be purchased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire