Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 06:31 PM

63 posts, read 223,313 times

Advertisements

and how would we do it. We are thinking of moving to New Hampshire and will be visiting this summer if we like it we are prepared to stay.We would be looking for a small type of town with great schools and low crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:14 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
Probably the best way is to get a NH drivers license. Check nh.gov for the process.
Where in NH do you want to be? If you state a general area, then people here can recommend towns to check out....

Old 04-05-2009, 08:36 PM

70 posts, read 385,644 times
you have 60 days before you need to declare residency...

i'm not 100% sure on if ur visiting and then decide to stay tho... like right now i've been living here since september n haven't become a resident b/c i can claim temporary "student" residency... tho i will be taking care of it this month b/c FH got a job in NH and we'll be here permenantly... so i figured i'll have 60 days frrom when we have our "permenant residence" but i could be wrong...

Old 04-06-2009, 09:56 AM

564 posts, read 1,880,318 times
I applied for political refuge status after being there for a month.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Check with the town clerk and/or the supervisors of the checklist. In order to register to vote you must prove:

You are who you claim to be
You are a citizen
You live in town

Factiously,

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-07-2009 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-07-2009, 03:20 PM

257 posts, read 619,534 times
Many cops, unfortunately, think that it's ten days. They are usually thinking of how long before you switch your tags on your car, and I think even that is ten days AFTER establishing residency.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:57 AM

497 posts, read 953,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Check with the town clerk and/or the supervisors of the checklist. In order to register to vote you must prove:

You are who you claim to be
You are a citizen
You live in town

Factiously,
Just a question

How do you prove you live in town?

Tax bill?

Here's my scenario;

I bought a house in NH, which, right now, is a vacation/weekend home. I have a PO box, pay taxes in the town, have the Transfer station sticker, Bills to the house for utilities.... yada, yada, yada...

How does the town PROVE I live there, short of a Driver's licence?

In two years I planned on declaring residency at said home, as my daughter wishes to attend UNH. Resident rates are better than non, and she can live @ the house, rather than campus.

so let's say in two years I declare that NH is my home, switch all my stuff, but continue to live in my [now] NJ vacation home. What's the diff?...short of where I declare residency....

So how do you prove you live in town???
for all intent and purpose, the town Tax Office thinks/assumes/bills me as if I live there now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire