Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:13 AM

6 posts, read 37,673 times

Advertisements

Can a landloard change a lease agreeement or change the usage of the home we are renting? Specifying designated parking, requiring renters insurance, or how the property around the home should be used.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-18-2009 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: Moved to new thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 08:53 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,715 times
Here is a partial answer
Leases and Rental Agreements New Hampshire - New Hampshire, legal attorney, New Hampshire lawsuit, New Hampshire landlord, New Hampshire tenant, New Hampshire legal advice, New Hampshire Property & Money (http://articles.directorym.net/Leases_and_Rental_Agreements_New_Hampshire-r935945-New_Hampshire.html - broken link)

In general a written lease is a legally binding document and the specifics are in force until renewal for both parties.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:19 PM

257 posts, read 619,534 times
I have seen landlords, banks, employers, etc, put people under duress or make assorted threats to get them to sign some new agreement. Depending on the circumstances (make sure that you get witnesses and/or write down the details the same day), courts have thrown out agreements that have made signed under duress, depending on the issues involved.

Fairpoint offered me a one year contract for DSL at $33.99 per month. They recently sent me a letter telling me that they are changing some fee, with approval from the FCC, that may change my rates. Is this something that could end up in court? It depends on whether you're willing to fight or not.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:15 PM

105 posts, read 357,947 times
Yes, the lease can be changed at the time of renewal, as long as it's not in violation of state laws. Not sure what you mean by the usage, but if it's allowed by town ordinances, they can do it. Plenty of large apartments complexes have assigned parking and have restrictions as to how your yard can be used, i.e. no car repairs, no unregistered vehicles, outbuildings, no clotheslines, etc. I don't think it's unreasonable for a property owner to want their property to look well maintained and if a particular resident has a yard full of junk or clutter that's never picked up, the owner has every right to require them to pick it up and keep it clean, but if you can't even enjoy the outside using lawn furniture or a table that might be over the top.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 13,622 times
My original lease agreement was made on May 1, 2007. We have given our landlord a thiry day written notice that we are moving out on April 30, 2010. My situation is that he said that we were liable to pay May's rent,because the lease that was renewed said a new date June 1. My husband and I never discussed anything about changing the lease,but the landlord said that the renewed lease had a different day. For me he made a mistake, when he wrote out the renewed lease and we didn't catch the mistake. Now, does this lease overwrite the original that we both agreed on. Eventhough, it was a mistake made by the landlord and we did sign it without realizing it. Please help, thank you.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:49 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times
Let me get this straight:
-You had a lease that was originally 1 year starting May 1, 2007 and ending April 30, 2008.
-You then continued to lease from the same owner the following year (May 1, 2008-April 30, 2009).

What does your most recent lease show? (May 1, 2009-June 1, 2010?) or something different?

Old 04-13-2010, 02:03 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
My advice is to tell him to bug off. Let him take you to court if he dares. As soon as you explain to a judge what happened, it will be thrown out.

I highly doubt he will bother trying to take you to court because he is trying to get away with something. Too many times, people are scared and pay when someone is trying to extort $.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:17 AM

817 posts, read 2,189,041 times
Won't he just be able to get a judgment in small claims court?

Since you signed it, I would think the court would say you're obligated. I'd just pay it, personally. I wouldn't want my credit rating ruined over something that small.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:10 AM

4 posts, read 25,807 times
Please someone give me advice! a week ago I signed a lease for a June 15th move in. I signed this lease at a broker's office and the landlord had not yet signed it. When I returned to pick up the lease and the keys, if they'd been ready, the date on the lease had been crossed out by pen and rewritten as June 1st. When I told them that i never signed a lease for june 1st and that I wouldn't have, they told me I had to either honor the lease as it is changed or loose my first months and deposit. the landlord is now threatening to take me to court!! What can I do? Am i still bound to the terms of the lease before they were changed?? Am I bound to the lease as it has been changed?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:18 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Generaly No, Most contract require you to initial (both parties) any changes to the printed terms. I assume you have your copy that show the original terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire