Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:47 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,867,962 times

Advertisements

My town is full of people who have come to NH from out of state (we moved from MA 14 years ago), especially those that have kids in the school system. I did not experience that same parochial attitude aunlanpo describes. I did get that in the town I lived in when we were in MA as most of the people had lived there all their lives and weren't too accepting of those from outside the town, even if they also were from MA....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:35 PM

132 posts, read 357,388 times
Thanks for the honest comments. It is always nice to hear from people who have some experience with the area- both good and bad.

Sounds like we will leave Bow out of our relocation search for now and NO...... my huband is NOT a doctor

We seem to be leaning towards Bedford at the moment but have not completely ruled any town in or out yet-so much more to do and think about.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:43 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,079,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy, CA View Post
Thanks for the honest comments. It is always nice to hear from people who have some experience with the area- both good and bad.

Sounds like we will leave Bow out of our relocation search for now and NO...... my huband is NOT a doctor

We seem to be leaning towards Bedford at the moment but have not completely ruled any town in or out yet-so much more to do and think about.
Hollis...Hollis...Hollis!!!

(I'm biased)

Old 04-22-2009, 08:46 PM

26,485 posts, read 46,825,990 times
Bow has INSANE property taxes. They keep going UP and UP and UP. I follow some of the local real estate listings in the county. If you can afford the taxes Bow is a good place to live. The location makes it convenient to either I-89 or I-93. The drive to Concord is probably 15 minutes while the drive to Manchester is around 35 minutes.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:49 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,867,962 times
And I am biased towards Amherst... Check nneren.com for house prices and tax rates. Here is a house in my area on the Amherst/Merrimack line. $419k; $8k/year in real estate taxes. Easy commute to Manchester or Nashua as it is 5 miles on a country road to exit 11 on Rt 3:

NNEREN

Maybe some more space? $499k and $10k/year in RE taxes:
NNEREN

Old 06-13-2009, 08:28 PM

71 posts, read 172,615 times
Default Come and check out Bow

We moved here over 15 years ago and it's a bedroom community, no malls, no town square, but the schools are good. My husband works for a large company and the last four transfers have chosen Bow and their kids are doing great in school. All of the kids have been accepted along with their parents. There are a lot of transplants here and there are plenty of nice people here.

Bedford's taxes are just as high as Bow and will surpass Bow with their new high school. Both towns have excellent school systems, it just depends on the type of town you want to work in. One of my best friends is a nurse in Manchester and she has commuted for years without any problem. I work at Concord Hospital and love my short commute. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2009, 11:53 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,162,507 times
I never understood why Bow taxes skyrocketed. They have the PSNH coal fired power plant in town paying the town a huge taxes.....where is this money going?

now PSNH wants to add a new scrubber to the fossil at huge expense.

The plant emits 3.4 million tons of carbon dioxide annually. Installing a scrubber will eliminate no carbon dioxide. Worse still, the plant will continue to produce dangerous amounts of sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides and mercury for two more decades.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:46 AM

132 posts, read 357,388 times
Don't like the idea of living so close to the plant. Thanks for the heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire