Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,250 times

Advertisements

I am a young woman in the process of moving to Manchester for a job opportunity. I went to college in western NH and am eager to get back. My biggest concern is that I am going to have trouble meeting other twenty-somethings. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm hoping for ways other than just bar-hopping, if that is even an option...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
My wife and I are actually in the same situation (moved here from VA, having just married) and are finally having some success at meeting folks/making friends. We basically just have been going out of our way to attend community events, look up groups that do hobbies we enjoy, etc...while not all of the folks will be in our peer group; we have met a few that are now friends.

Meetup.com has also been gaining popularity- basically people sponsor groups and then do activities with a group of people who all signup to go (for example- scrapbooking, winetasting, toastmasters, movies, historical/photography, hiking, young professionals, as well as some stranger hobbies, etc).

I was also once told that it takes 3 years to really get settled into an area/start making "real" friends...we've been here for 2 in August...and that seems to be about right. Things are on a dramatic improvement slope socially.

Manchester & Nashua have a good bit going on & Boston isn't that far away...

Its not "easy" like college...but there are definately folks out there you will get along with...just hang in there.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:38 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I've been looking into volunteering opportunities and things like that, and I will definately check out Meetup. I'm not expecting it to be an overnight thing, but it's good to know that people aren't generally wierd about 'outsiders,' which is the case in some places.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:48 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
They can be...and while I've heard some awful stories (there is another post on here running right now); it's not the norm at all.

Oh- also checkout the Red Arrow Diner while you're up there...great little diner.

If you're into the outdoors at all- I've noticed a lot of organizations sponsor outdoor hikes/snowshoeing, etc...and these events are generally (depending on the event of course) attended by younger folks as well. I know many of the "Full Moon Snow-Shoe hikes" at Beaver Brook were attended by younger folks.

Last edited by BF66389; 04-23-2009 at 05:59 AM..

Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,438 times
I would check out the bulletin boards in the colleges. Hesser college, Southern NH etc. Of course there is the Hippo press, the free paper.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:16 PM
SFT

79 posts, read 207,354 times
If you find out let me know. I'm from the area and in my last years of college, but trying to meet people outside of parties/bars/ and other activities that involve dealing with drunk people.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:33 AM

Haha, ya same here. It works when you're at school but gets a little sketchy out in the big bad world ;-) It's fun to get drinks and go to parties when you are with people you already know, but as a way of networking and former a whole new social circle it doesn't work too well.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:33 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,438 times
Check out the library and see what groups use the meeting rooms. Sit in one one or two. Look in the papers for service organizations having spaghetti dinners or even church meals. Pancake breakfasts etc.
If you have an interest or hobby you can find organizations and go to their meetings. You will be surprised how friendly people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire