Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:06 AM

9 posts, read 13,162 times

Advertisements

I would be coming from Southern California with my girlfriend. I.e., we're lesbians. What is NH's general mentality towards LGBT? We are registered libertarians but, obviously, more liberal with our personal lives. We believe in self responsibility, low taxes, live free or die! All of that... so, it seems our political beliefs conincide with NH, however, what about us as lesbians?

I've never been to NH and would like to make it our home. We want to live in a free state, but are concerned about how our lifestyle is accepted in a state such as NH.

Sorry if this seems like a naive question.

Thank you....

Eileen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 11:10 AM

Supplemental to this question, we are also very big with ou 2nd amendment rights, we have our fair share of guns, we love to shoot, ride dirt bikes and what not. How's the OHV over in NH? Looking at the weather, it never seems too hot to go riding

Old 04-25-2009, 11:33 AM

6,574 posts, read 6,743,789 times
NH is more libertarian than conservative, and most people leave you alone up here. There are "civil unions" in NH. We have no sales or income taxes. The "Libertarian Party" itself is not as strong as it once was in NH; so if you want small government and low taxes you are stuck with the NH Republican Party.....and they are not always for that either You guys should be fine up here. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:35 AM

Ah, awesome, thank you so much!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenwilson47 View Post
Ah, awesome, thank you so much!
What part of the state interests you most? The current housing supply in much of central and northern NH is not that great in the under 400K range. I think lots of people are not selling at the moment.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:06 PM

Well, we were looking towards Hampton/Portsmouth area. But Manchester, from what I can tell, would have the most jobs etc...

We are going to plan a visit and rent a car and drive around, talk to real estate people and such.

How's the job market there? Is it as hard as it is here in CA? We both currently are working and I'm not in danger (i'm pretty sure!) of getting laid off. I work as a billing administrator in an IT company.

I've heard there's a lot of tech jobs in NH, is that true?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:14 PM

It makes sense to rent until you get a feel for the state, lol, house prices are NOT going up anytime soon. The job market is not great, but NH still has the best job market in New England because of the low taxes and quality of life. I suspect your biggest challenge will be the weather coming from S. California than any social issues

Old 04-25-2009, 12:16 PM

LOL you're so right! It's 63 degrees here and I'm cold! We were just talking about how to adjust to the weather. I guess people just do, and I think we could too. I think snow would be my biggest challenge, I think I've driven in the snow .... well once... and it wasnt snowing, it HAD snowed. lol

Old 04-25-2009, 12:27 PM

The weather is not bad until about early December......and then you still get many days in the 40 degree range even in Jan & Feb. I like the cool weather, so I enjoy New England, but it's not to evveryones' taste. Part of any adjustment is just mental. Also part of adjusting to the weather is dressing right in the cold

Old 04-25-2009, 12:29 PM

Very true... I think we'd adjust for sure. You just do if you want to.

Thanks again for the info!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire