Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 10:58 PM

407 posts, read 1,075,026 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. We'll be visiting your state in June and I was hoping you all could pass some information on to us on areas to visit and things to do. We'll be staying in the Jackson area, but I was planning on taking trips to Laconia and Meredith (including some other areas in Belknap County). New Hampshire is high on our list on places to move to and this trip will be part vacation, part fact finding and home search. Although on this trip it'll just be my wife and I, we do have two small children, so the communties we would like to visit and concentrate on have to be those with lots of families so that my little ones can make new friends. We would like to find a home with a decent amount of real estate (1-2 acres), but not in the middle of the woods, far away from everybody. To give you all some perspective, we're currently living east of Orlando, and this area has gotten to be too much for us to tolerate anymore. Thanks in advance for any information you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 03:35 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,175,427 times
Hi touretteboy,

Nice to hear about your upcoming trip. It sounds like you've got some good towns in mind already for moving, so I'll give you some advice on the more "touristy" things you can do in the Lakes and Mountains.

• Scenic drives in the Mountains: Kancamagus Highway (112 between Conway and Lincoln), I-93 North through Franconia Notch State Park, Route 302 through Crawford Notch State Park, and the Mt. Washington Auto Road off Route 16 in Pinkham Notch (if the weather is clear).
  • Depending on what time of June you're visiting, you might want to check out the Fields of Lupine Festival in Sugar Hill. This a beautiful area, made even more beautiful by the fields of purple flowers. The peak blooms are usually around the 3rd week of June.
  • Walk through the Flume Gorge in Franconia Notch State Park.
  • Stop at Echo Lake and Cathedral Ledge in North Conway.
  • Go to Weirs Beach and walk along the boardwalk or go to the drive-in (I just hope you're not there during Bike Week!)
  • Make a stop in Sandwich to enjoy this picturesque traditional New England village.
  • Hike Rattlesnake Mtn. off Route 113 between Sandwich and Holderness for a great view of Squam Lake.
  • Visit the Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough.
Those are some of the must-sees that come to mind.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Take the Cog Railway or Drive to the top of Mt. Washington (now there is an exciting road for a flatlander). Stop at the Country Store in Bath and pick up some real NH maple syrup. Most of all enjoy your trip. NH packs a lot of interesting things into a small space.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:27 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,331,280 times
As Verseau mentioned when he suggested Weir's Beach, are you visiting during Bike week? If so, you may have to adjust your plans in the Laconia/Weir's Beach area. Bike week is June 13-21, with the real congestion being the last 4 days-that is when they close roads etc.

While I think everyone should visit bike week at least once-even if they don't ride-not sure you want to take two small children there-especially during high traffic hours. I have seen only a few kids there.

If it were just you and your wife, I would suggest that you check it out-we go every year(we are within walking distance) and we don't ride but we love to go for the food and people watch.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the info. We'll be there on the 8th and stay thru the 13th. We're pretty excited about seeing some of the things you all mentioned. What kind of weather typically exist during that time? Warm days and cool nights?

Old 04-28-2009, 03:55 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,175,427 times
Basically. I'd expect highs in the 70s with the possibility for a couple days of hotter, humid weather. Nighttime lows will probably be around 50 in the mountains, so you'll want to pack the shorts *and* a sweatshirt.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Basically. I'd expect highs in the 70s with the possibility for a couple days of hotter, humid weather. Nighttime lows will probably be around 50 in the mountains, so you'll want to pack the shorts *and* a sweatshirt.
Cool . Can any of you advise of communities that are family friendly, that being, resided by moms and dads with children? If we do move, it'll be tough on our kids and I would like the opportunity to be there that gives them the ability to make new friends. Also, know of any nightclubs that are geared towards friendly folks and live music, particularly Bruce Springsteen style music and the like? Thanks again for all your hep and suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire