Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 04:56 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I am taking a 30 day motorcycle ride from my home (VA) to New England this August starting Aug 1. I'll be driving thru all of the NE states and will be visiting friends in Portsmouth. I don't know my routes yet and what you post here may help me decide. If you were having family visit the state what are the must see sights you would take them to? The wife and I have been to Mt. Washington and I might even do it again on the MC. What else is in NH that I should see.
Also, in my area the humidity is unbearable in August. What can I expect up that way? Pretty much the same or more comfortable weather?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 05:25 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,169,472 times
Hi Bigfoot,

August in New Hampshire is definitely more comfortable than in Virginia! Granted, we do have uncomfortable humidity, but it usually only lasts for a couple days at a time. Expect average highs in the upper 70s / lower 80s, with cool, pleasant nights (perhaps a bit chilly later in the month).

The *absolute* must-see places:

• Franconia Notch State Park (esp. the Flume Gorge)
  • Crawford Notch State Park
  • Mt. Washington
  • Kancamagus Highway
  • Lake Winnipesaukee (Castle in the Clouds, Wolfeboro)
  • Portsmouth (Strawberry Banke), New Castle, Rye (seacoast)
In addition to these absolute must-sees, there are a lot of other wonderful places in the state more off the beaten path. The entire length of the Connecticut River between NH and VT is lovely country. If you can, make a stop at the Cornish-Windsor Covered Bridge between Cornish, NH and Windsor, VT. The Lakes Region is also a great place to explore; Squam Lake (from the film "On Golden Pond") is particularly nice, and Sandwich is my favorite village in the state.

To be honest, it's hard to go wrong no matter what little backroad you take through NH -- you're bound to find something interesting!

Old 05-03-2009, 06:53 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,589 times
if I was to spend one day in the franconia area it would be this... breakfast at polly's pancakes in sugar hill, then go towards twin mountain do a hike spelled something like this aerothusala falls (may start with an E) moderate hike about 2 hrs round trip . waterfall is imho the best in the state. look for moose along the road and then stop at the willey house for some ice cream.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:03 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,000 times
Cornish-Windsor

Castle in the Clouds

Mount Washington Auto Road

Cathedral of the Pines

This will give you some ideas in the Portsmouth area

History - -SeacoastNH.com

This is not meant to offend but I think the more famous part of route 112 is overated( possibly because of overuse on my part perhaps) Heading towards Lisbon is less travelled and you have three covered bridges in the area including Bath ( good pulled pork in the little eatery next to the Brick Store )

Last edited by CrazyDave; 05-03-2009 at 07:18 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
if I was to spend one day in the franconia area it would be this... breakfast at polly's pancakes in sugar hill, then go towards twin mountain do a hike spelled something like this aerothusala falls (may start with an E) moderate hike about 2 hrs round trip . waterfall is imho the best in the state. look for moose along the road and then stop at the willey house for some ice cream.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Please keep them coming. What a coincidence with you mentioning Polly's. I'm reading a book on New England touring for motorcycles and the writer mentions this place. Says it expensive but worth it.

And no, I wasn't drunk when I came up with the title. Just typing too fast.

Last edited by Bigfoot424; 05-03-2009 at 10:56 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 05:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
If you don't want to pay the bit extra for Polly's and equally good b'fst is available at the Littleton Diner. If you would like to see some near wilderness NH and don't mind a gravel road look for Hall's Stream road north out of Stewartstown. Further up Rt 3 you could stop at the Black Lake Lodge on Black Lake. I strongly suggest getting a Delorme Maps NH Atlas. Also pick up a copy of the Delorme Highway Map of New England. These can be found at neatly all grocery stores once you are in the State and on the Delorme website.

On the way here, and if you don’t mind some small cities, take I-84 into Connecticut then get on Rt 7 North in Danbury and follow it all the way to Vermont. Then take Rt 9E out of Bennington, maybe visit the Bennington Battlefield, and cross into New Hampshire west of Keene. Then take Rt 10 north along the Connecticut River.

Bring enough cloths for summer to fall weather along with some rain gear. We can get some real gully washing thunder showers in August. I also suggest bring a camera and stopping at the Green Roadside Historical Markers. You can come up with some interesting information. For instance, just south of Exeter, NH there is a sign noting the “Mast Tree Revolt”. In 1734 the King sent timber surveyors to mark all really big pines as Mast Trees belonging to the King. As there, were a lot of these, the local timber men that were cutting the trees for a living held a small armed revolution and drove the Kings surveyors out of the area. All this is on one small green roadside sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire