Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 AM

161 posts, read 645,282 times

Advertisements

In other states it seems it's typical for the seller to pay the buying and selling agent's fee completely. In NH is it typical for the buyer to be responsible for their agent's portion (usually half?) of the fee? If so, it would seem that you're just displacing that portion into the price anyway, since the money is fungible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 07:56 AM

680 posts, read 2,439,854 times
If I understand what you're asking, no, that's not normal.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:22 AM

Well what is normal in NH? And does it really matter? I mean if I'm responsible for the buying agent's fee, I'm just going to either offer less money for the property, or I'm going to ask for cash back.

My understanding is that in NH the seller doesn't have to disclose what they're paying their selling agent, but does set the minimum fee for the buyer's agent.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:57 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
When you sign a contract to hire an agent as YOUR exclusive Buyer's Agent, you discuss their expected commission at that time. Nothing is carved in stone, as this would be considered price fixing. Some agents agree to accept whatever the listed co-broke in MLS. Others have a set percentage that they are willing to work for, and the Buyer would responsible to pay any shortage between what the Listing Agent is offering, and what you have agreed to pay. This is a standard part of EVERY Buyer Agency contract, and you and your agent (asuming that you have one) need to sit and discuss to a solution that works for you both.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
When you sign a contract to hire an agent as YOUR exclusive Buyer's Agent, you discuss their expected commission at that time. Nothing is carved in stone, as this would be considered price fixing. Some agents agree to accept whatever the listed co-broke in MLS. Others have a set percentage that they are willing to work for, and the Buyer would responsible to pay any shortage between what the Listing Agent is offering, and what you have agreed to pay. This is a standard part of EVERY Buyer Agency contract, and you and your agent (asuming that you have one) need to sit and discuss to a solution that works for you both.
That makes perfect sense.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:33 PM

680 posts, read 2,439,854 times
I did interview one exclusive buyer's agent who said I would have to make up the difference between what was offered by the listing agent and what she desired. I said no way. There is no shortage of real estate agents looking for clients right now and I wouldn't pay for the privilege unless you have interviewed all the other agents first and know that they're incapable of getting the job done (unlikely).

Yes, you could offer less and pay the agent's fee directly, but there are so many other negotiation points to haggle over that I just don't see the point.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:11 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,934 times
Valerie can probably give you more detail as she is a realtor...however, the buyers used to pay the entire fee and then the laws/rules were changed roughly a decade ago, maybe more. Now it's 50/50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire