Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 05:16 PM

28 posts, read 112,258 times

Advertisements

We are still looking in Derry and Londonderry but DH is on the verge of a hopefull new job which would allow him to work out of the house. He will be traveling about 20% of the time or so. We would need to be within 45 minutes of a decent airport (Manchester would probably be fine.)

What towns would you suggest? Since we don't have to be within a comfortable commute to Boston or the North Shore we want to move a little further outside that zone to get more bang for our buck!! We have a 2 year old and hopefully will have another baby in the next few years. We would like a smallish town but with the large town/city ammenties within a reasonable distance for shopping. We would like something safe with a good school district and a good rec department for the kids.

We want a min. 3 bed 2.5 baths with at least 1600 sq. ft. with mature trees. We would like to keep it under $300K and more towards $250K if possible, especially with the new job idea.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 05:30 PM

371 posts, read 1,163,380 times
If I could work out of my house and didn't have any other connections (family or otherwise) to a particular geography than I would take Manchester airport and draw a straight line 45 minutes north and start looking there.

Only problem is that your post states "large city amenities and close to shopping. In that case you need to live Concord south

Old 05-14-2009, 06:03 PM

My large city amenties, I mean shopping. BJ's, Costco, Targe, Walmart and the like. Home Depot, Lowes ... the big box stores.

Also, all our family lives between Bellingham, MA and Cape Cod. We don't mind being upwards of 2 to 3 hours from them but not much farther. We have been living over 1500 miles away for 5 years so we are excited to get back but don't need to be in their backyard!

Old 05-14-2009, 06:30 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,049,651 times
That's pretty much what DogNH means, too!

Most of the towns are too small for decent grocery stores (regular shopping, not just mom & pop/convenience shopping), clothing and other assorted necessities. You need the larger places for those, like Derry, Nashua, Bedford, Milford.... and of course Manchester and Concord (not an exhaustive list, but you get my meaning)

Old 05-15-2009, 07:43 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,965,905 times
While you can certainly find a 3-br house under 300K in Londonderry, if you want more bang for the buck in your house shopping budget,you might consider some of the towns just north or west of Concord. Towns like Hopkinton or possibly Henniker. Nice communities, schools with good reputations, and you have the benefit of being under 30 minutes to Concord with all the big boxes you might need (BJ's in Hooksett, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, etc, etc, etc) And less than 45 minutes to Manchester Airport as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMickey28 View Post
My large city amenties, I mean shopping. BJ's, Costco, Targe, Walmart and the like. Home Depot, Lowes ... the big box stores.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:20 PM

How is Merrimack? Gofftown? Epsom? Epping? Anything in those areas decent?

Old 05-15-2009, 01:38 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,256,250 times
I lived in Epsom for a few years and really liked it. Not to far for shopping in Concord or Manchester. Right up RT 28 a ways is Alton Bay and Lake Winni and RT 4 will get you down to the ocean in no time. A nice little town where people seem to mind their own business.A nice town to live in with everything you need within a short ride.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:05 PM

Thanks Ken. I just feel so overwhelmed in looking at places, especially without a commuting restriction!

We have lived in S. Florida for three years and a Chicago suburb before that. We are craving the small town feel that we felt when looking around Derry and Londonderry but from a logical perspective I need to be able to get to the big box stores for my weekly shopping and stuff. I just can't fathom how to pick a small town ....

Old 05-15-2009, 03:12 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,256,250 times
I lived in a lot of small towns up in N.H. my whole life excpt the last eight years i've been down here. I'm headed back to N.H. as soon as i can sell this place here. You'll love it in NH

Old 05-16-2009, 05:50 AM

497 posts, read 954,339 times
head upstate more north....you will not regret it.

There are still ammenities, despite what the 'city folk' would tell you. The ride to the stores might take 5 minutes more, but the lack of congestion is worth it.

My nearest neighbor is 250 yards away, can't hear em, see em.....
I'm 8 miles to Conway, where the stores and 'civilization' are located

Properties abound, town services are great.

Madison, NH

Consider the northern territories.....you'll never look back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire