Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:36 PM

161 posts, read 647,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post
Most people who are looking for a home in this area probably search both Exeter and Stratham, if they are looking to stretch their dollar they probably include Brentwood and a couple others as well.
Well that's what I've been trying to get to the bottom of. Can being only 3 miles further from downtown Exeter really be the reason the real-estate is somewhat less expensive? I'm just trying to figure out if there's anything more to this and whether housing the county services buildings somehow diminishes the town's desirability in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 06:33 AM

371 posts, read 1,166,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingover View Post
Well that's what I've been trying to get to the bottom of. Can being only 3 miles further from downtown Exeter really be the reason the real-estate is somewhat less expensive? I'm just trying to figure out if there's anything more to this and whether housing the county services buildings somehow diminishes the town's desirability in any way.
There is nothing more to it.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:21 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,171,789 times
That person obviously doesn't live in the area.

wrong, I grew up in the area. I graduated from Raymond High School, and my 25th class reunion was held in Brentwood.

as I said before, there really is no difference except for pricing, but the prison location scares people from settling down there.

The good thing is you can register to be notified automatically when an offender is released, transferred, or escapes.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
That person obviously doesn't live in the area.

wrong, I grew up in the area. I graduated from Raymond High School, and my 25th class reunion was held in Brentwood.

as I said before, there really is no difference except for pricing, but the prison location scares people from settling down there.

The good thing is you can register to be notified automatically when an offender is released, transferred, or escapes.
I'm not going to argue with you, because this poster or anyone else for that matter can go into each town an see with their own eyes the differences. To say that the only difference between Brentwood and Exeter is the prison is misleading on its face.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:46 PM

9 posts, read 23,661 times
Default Love living in Brentwood!

Hi, there, Moving Over.
Just wanted to put in my two cents since I"m a Brentwood resident.
We moved here 3 years ago, and shopped the SAU 16 school district which includes Exeter, Stratham, Newfields, Kensington, E.Kingston and Brentwood.
Yes, Brentwood is the most east in regards to distance from the coast, but
it only takes me 12 minutes door to shore (Hampton Beach). We settled here because you do get more value for your money. Many of my new friends lived in Exeter but wanted either more house or more land, and so moved to Brentwood, and are happy here.
Brentwood has some lovely neighborhoods...I'm not sure what your price range is, but if it is in the 350K-500K ish range, I can name some great streets/neighborhoods: Amanda's way, Peabody, Robinson, Lyford, Deer Hill Estates, Fellows, etc.
The people here are very friendly, with a very small-town, we bump into each other often, and are quite welcoming. There is an active rec department, seniors, and the library is wonderful! We have our own little 4th of July Parade, etc.
There is not a downtown here like Exeter, but neither does Stratham. Just a couple miles up RT 125 is a super Wal-Mart, Lowes, some restaurants, etc. or you could drive the 5-10 minutes (depending where you live) to Exeter's Portsmouth Avenue to get to Stop and Shop or Shaws and more restaurants.
The prison is located here, and I will admit that we were wary of purchasing because of that, but really, if you do not drive by it, you dont even know its there! There is a development across from it on Washington Drive, and I personally wouldnt want to live there and look at it out my window, but I do know some lovely families that do and it doesnt bother them.
The people on my street range from empty nesters to young families, and let me tell you that every major holiday we get together and have a cookout or an ice cream party. I know friends from other neighborhoods, and they have similar experiences.
I agree that the towns are all so close to each other, that you dont really know where one ends and the other begins.
We do use Exeter as our "downtown", and so if you like to be able to walk to downtown, Brentwood is not for you. But if you dont mind a 5-10 minute drive, then it's worth looking into!
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 AM

793 posts, read 1,350,151 times
The jail is nothing. Wait til you hear the lovely sounds of the dragway on a Saturday evening.

Also...if you have middle school kids, they will be attending school in Stratham and it's a fairly long bus ride.

Two issues to ponder when considering Brentwood.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:48 AM

Unless you live with a a mile or so of 101, you won;t here the dragway - and if you live that close, you'll probably here the highway too. Most of Brentwood is far away from the Dragway.

Unless you live in stratham or Exeter, the right to Middle School could be considered "long" but it's relative.

true.enough had the best post on this topic

Old 06-06-2009, 11:50 AM

793 posts, read 1,350,151 times
No. My post was the best.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:25 PM

9 posts, read 23,661 times
Thanks for the vote, dognh. That was my first post. I realized I didnt answer the question re: schools. I am very happy with the quality of education in Brentwood's K-5 Swasey school. Yes, the bus ride to Stratham will be long for middle school, but the brand spankin' new highschool for SAU 16 is on the Brentwood line. So, every town in the SAU gets a turn haulin whether it be for middle or high school. There is a lot of parent volunteering involved at Swasey, and that is how I know first-hand that I am happy with my child's experience.
I live about a mile from 101, and I honestly can count on one hand how many times I can hear the dragway in the summer. And even then, it is a faint drone that I forget what it is and think it is an appliance running!
Brentwood also has a coop organic farm with a waiting list with residents from neighboring towns, since it is the only one in the area! It's a great way to take part in the food you eat, without the committment of your own garden!
As mentioned before, it is the most west of the Seacoast towns, so here are the pluses: only 20 minutes to Manchester via 101(for an alternative airport to Boston) and more major shopping, hop onto 125 to go towards Boston and it is only 55 minutes door to Logan! or spend the day in a big city, then 125 north leads you to UNH area also only 20 minutes.
I'm sure I would have been happy in any of the towns already mentioned, but my point is that, there are many ways to view things.
All in all, a great quality of life!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:14 AM

72 posts, read 196,223 times
How are the schools in Exeter/Stratham? My wife and I are considering relocating from Long Island and are curious to how the education system rates in these towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire