Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:45 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,083,075 times

Advertisements

Hollis NH has TDS Telecom (bought "Hollis Telephone Company" a few years ago); likewise they also have Charter Cable.

While I only had TDS for a short while for basic landline service before switching to VOIP they were fine, likewise Charter has been fine as well. I REALLY like that at the very beginning of their Cable Tech Support chain you can press a button to send a re-authorization signal to your box...it fixes the issue most of the time and the signal has always been sent instantly (they say up to 45 minutes though). They have also been good about pushing firmware updates to our cable modem and cable box over the network vs "bring the box to us and exchange it".

I know that some residents were unhappy with Charter so the town sought bidders to service the town...and no-one bid...go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,074,374 times
I dunno which company it is, but whenver I would bring my laptop up to my parents and dial-in to my ISP.. it was excrutiatingly slow (and I'm used to dialup!). It was so slow, I've decided never to bother again, I just couldn't stand it.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:42 AM

369 posts, read 967,404 times
Default UNfairpoint's Final Chapter

If you ever want to exerience the good feeling of dealing with UNfairpoint (...and Dirsct TV), go bang your head against a wall for a couple hours.

The good feeling will be what you experience when you stop.

What everything came down to is :

We got tired of both companies stonewalling us and treating us like dirt.
Each vendor claimed it was the other one raising our rates, the service associates refused to let us speak to their supervisors - although we finally were able to...

THEN both companies tried to wack us with early termination fees !
One vendor folded when we had an attourney contact them and the other is is still ongoing.

Comcast arrived yesterday and installed TV, Internet and Landline services to our place. Their installer noted the old equipment and related some horror stories which made our debacle look like a walk in the park.

Better service, better product, faster internet, beter picture on the TV.
Even if we end up paying the early termination fee we'll still come out ahead.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,356,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
If you ever want to exerience the good feeling of dealing with UNfairpoint (...and Dirsct TV), go bang your head against a wall for a couple hours.

The good feeling will be what you experience when you stop.

What everything came down to is :

We got tired of both companies stonewalling us and treating us like dirt.
Each vendor claimed it was the other one raising our rates, the service associates refused to let us speak to their supervisors - although we finally were able to...

THEN both companies tried to wack us with early termination fees !
One vendor folded when we had an attourney contact them and the other is is still ongoing.

Comcast arrived yesterday and installed TV, Internet and Landline services to our place. Their installer noted the old equipment and related some horror stories which made our debacle look like a walk in the park.

Even if we end up paying the early termination fee we'll still come out ahead.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Good for you-Fairpoint is terrible. If I had another option I would have left them months ago. Everything people from other states warned our incompetent PUC about came true. In my opinion, every member of the PUC who voted for this needs to be bounced out.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:45 PM

155 posts, read 306,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
Comcast arrived yesterday and installed TV, Internet and Landline services to our place.
[...]
That's interesting. I'm not in NH yet, but I assume Comcast's basic infrastructure is similar all around -- except if they've got fiber in some places and copper elsewhere. I just got Comcast HDTV installed. At first I had an HD box that only output component. That didn't work for all my hookups for the long term, but I had it for about a week before I had the chance to exchange it for an HD box that output HDMI.

The component output system showed really poor encoding problems (my job is video encoding programming) that worried me about whether Comcast was using a lower bandwidth than the codec could handle to cram more data in.

Now, the HDMI unit does better, so I suspect that some of the problem was an older, poorer quality box and a bad component interface, now replaced with the newer box & an HDMI interface that shows better than the component.

My question for you is have you noticed any picture breakdown (e.g., pixelization or heavy macroblock visibility) in your Comcast viewing?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreznick View Post

My question for you is have you noticed any picture breakdown (e.g., pixelization or heavy macroblock visibility) in your Comcast viewing?

None that I've noticed, but then again, I don't have HDTV.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:24 AM

Default On the news this morning...

Fairpoint going bankrupt !

Old 06-29-2009, 04:59 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,987,513 times
I knew the entire point of the (un) Fairpoint take over was just another Wall Street funny money game and the subscribers and service were irrelevant to the deal.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:48 AM

8 posts, read 19,991 times
We also have TDS telecom, I knew they served Hillsborough, Henniker and Weare, didn't know they were in Holis. They've always been fine, no major service interruptions and no billing problems. Keeping my fingers crossed.
We have Comcast for internet and TV and while they were deceptive in the "special offers" they use to lure you in, - I called them for a special combined rate offer i saw on their website and got cut off when I asked about it, I called backed and this happened twice more, each time I had to talk to a different sales rep who didn't know anything about the offer the last one had talked about and the new rate kept getting worse every time I called.
I wouldn't have bothered but they're the only game in town for high speed internet and they did finally settle on a rate.
Once we had them (or they had us) the service has been fine.
I had a problem with my internet connection and they came right out and fixed it (squirrles had chewed through the cable). The only thing that bothers me about them is the price increases, they have you over a barrle and they know it.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:10 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,987,513 times
We have Comcast for the TV and they lost the video signal for the Weather channel over the weekend. The weather channel provides little information without a picture. We were watching a PBS show last night and they messed up the sound (the show was about music) and the video feed pixilated and macro blocked a couple of times.

Thanks for the advice about the Fairpoint billing. We will be more careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire