Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:58 AM

497 posts, read 956,880 times

Advertisements

I'm 200 yards from a 142 acre pond.

Mi septic on one side of my home, well on the other.

my well is 125feet deep.

Water taste is outstanding, tested slightly high for magnesuim, but nothing to worry.

Soooooooooooooooooo better than chlorinated city water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 09:02 AM

18 posts, read 93,257 times
My real estate agent just added to our adendum that he is installing a state of the art $3,000 water filtration system... I'm wondering if this is good or bad....

It is a dug well, but has been dug within the last 20 years.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,172,239 times
depends...how much does it cost to maintain the system? How often do you have to maintain it?

I have a water softener, not a $3000 dollar system. My water is high in iron. The softener cost $300 to install and I have to replace the filters every 6 months.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 AM

4,643 posts, read 14,002,633 times
From everything that I've read on your recent posts, it sounds like you might want to step back and re-evaluate your situation. New septic (even 50/50) is expensive. You also mentioned a 3K water filtration system (which will need to be maintained, at what cost?) If you are serious about barely being able to afford the price of the house, what happens when something unexpected comes along....

Also, I've seen you mention 'my real estate agent' more than once. Hopefully YOUR real estate agent is working for you and only you in this transaction (and not for the seller!) I'm late in arriving to this thread, but I don't consider it normal to be unable to drink your well water due to contamination...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21mike View Post
My real estate agent tells me that its normal for people who live on the water to not drink their well water due to contamination.... This sorta sounds ridiculous to me. What do you guys think?

<snip>

this would end up costing WAY too much, as it is I can barely afford the price of the house.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
From everything that I've read on your recent posts, it sounds like you might want to step back and re-evaluate your situation. New septic (even 50/50) is expensive. You also mentioned a 3K water filtration system (which will need to be maintained, at what cost?) If you are serious about barely being able to afford the price of the house, what happens when something unexpected comes along....

Also, I've seen you mention 'my real estate agent' more than once. Hopefully YOUR real estate agent is working for you and only you in this transaction (and not for the seller!) I'm late in arriving to this thread, but I don't consider it normal to be unable to drink your well water due to contamination...
The real estate agent is the same man who is in charge of selling the house for the bank.

I know I am very weary of all these problems, but the fact is I am getting the house for about 60% of market value right now, as it is a forclosure and owned by Fanny Mae. The next door neighbor told me that "ray" (the man who previously owned the house) passed away less than 2 years ago. Appahrently he still owed money on the property, and the bank took over. Now the real estate agent is trying to sell it.

I wish I had someone who knew what they where doing who could help me.... Fact is, even if it does need a septic system, I'm getting the proptery and house for less than even the land is worth...

Old 05-19-2009, 11:08 AM

The real estate agent is the same man who is in charge of selling the house for the bank.

RUN the other way!

a good deal is not a good deal if you can't afford it and it sounds like this property has numerous problems....don't forget the cost of owning a home goes up every year. Rarely is there ever a drop in tax rates and as soon as you make improvements to the property, the taxes WILL go up.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:29 PM

so how do you guys choose a good property without having a real estate agent who is biased ?

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,971,683 times
My well is high in iron,magnese and hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) fixed problem with 3 20 inch filter housing's.The filters are 0 micron sediment filter from well into 2 Carbon Block filter housing's,change sediment filter every 2 weeks,carbon block every other month.Water now very palitable,no stains,very clear.Bought these on ebay,buy carton at a time.Have shut off each side of filters,makes for easy servicing also water faucet for relieving pressure and for flushing after servicing.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21mike View Post
so how do you guys choose a good property without having a real estate agent who is biased ?
choose a realtor that is working solely for the buyer and not for the seller AND the buyer.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
My well is high in iron,magnese and hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) fixed problem with 3 20 inch filter housing's.The filters are 0 micron sediment filter from well into 2 Carbon Block filter housing's,change sediment filter every 2 weeks,carbon block every other month.Water now very palitable,no stains,very clear.Bought these on ebay,buy carton at a time.Have shut off each side of filters,makes for easy servicing also water faucet for relieving pressure and for flushing after servicing.
how much does this cost ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
choose a realtor that is working solely for the buyer and not for the seller AND the buyer.
Do you end up paying 2 commissions ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire