Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:28 PM

107 posts, read 268,201 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a recent Statistics graduate, 22 yrs old, and offered a good internship opportunity from the US. Dept. of Agriculture here in the middle-south of the small city of Concord. While I didn't reach the negotiation phase yet, I assume from what I've read/told that it's not badly-paid, and that it brings benefits, vacation, insurance, 401K.

I am relatively liberal/libertarian and I love nature, so I already got two pluses. I am a bit saddened about the lack of diversity (95% white?) and higher-than-average cost of living.

The place of work is in the Pleasant St./South St. intersection. Is that a good area that isn't too expensive? Please note that I don't mind if the area has bad schools as I'm single and have no children. Compared to big cities like Miami (where I'm from), NYC, Boston, Chicago, how is the cost of living? (I've read that taxes are low-ish).

How are the roads and how do you handle snow/ice in a city like Concord? Note that I never lived in a city that snows. Are there skiing areas close to this city?

How secular is the area? is there a larger percentage of non-fundamentalists, liberal christians/catholics, agnostic, atheists than in a typical US location?

Recommend me a good and somewhat economical place to rent within concord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 06:56 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Quote:
higher-than-average cost of living.
where on earth did you get that? Or are you talking Concord specifically? NH is routinely rated as one of the lowest CoL states in the country. (and we like to keep it that way ) The only sales tax is on prepared foods/restaurants = 6%, hotels, and rental cars. You're average shopping is not taxed. There is no state income tax to speak of (there is, I believe, 5% on interest & dividends over a certain amount) but that's it. Property taxes, like everywhere, are whined about being high - but it's all about what you compare them too. Those prop taxes pretty much pay for everything (and renters don't get a free ride: it will be figured in to your rent) - like your road upkeep and snow removal.

How secular is the area? Hard to say. Most NH people tend to feel that religion is a personal/private thing and keep it to themselves - which has led some posters to think that NH folk aren't religious at al (not true)!. Unless you hit a 'hot button' and then it's right there. But normally, it's quiet; although there are quite a few churches of various faiths.

Can't speak on places to live as I don't know Concord specifically.

In general, the roads are handled very well during ice/snow. Each town is responsible for it's own roads, although the state, I believe, handles the highways. They are mostly handled promptly and cleanly. Much better than other states. Occasionally a town does run out of budget for snow removal an that's a problem, but it's not common. Mostly, when it's actively snowing really hard, stay off the roads and let the trucks clear it. Slow down your driving speeds when on snowy/icey roads - mostly common sense.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:03 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
The NH rooms and meals tax is 8% not 6%.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:29 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
my bad. thanks. It's probably wishful thinking.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:44 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
You should keep in mind that Concord is not a big city by any stretch of the imagination. It's the third largest in NH, but it only has 40,000 people. It's hard to talk about economical "neighborhoods" because it's not very large.

Just look on craiglist to get an idea for what's for rent.

Compared to the major East Coast cities, Concord is a much more affordable place to live. NH has a very low tax burden.

The New England states are very used to snowstorms and the roads are usually well-maintained in the winter. The plows get out quickly. That's not to say you don't run the risk of driving during a snowstorm, but there's really not a magic to driving in the snow: just take it slow! Even more true for ice, but usually the salt / sand gets laid down pretty quickly. Since it usually remains below freezing during winter, the risk for ice doesn't last long - typically early December and late March.

Granted, it takes some practice to really get used to driving in winter conditions. If you've never lived through a New England winter before, you should also consider the climatic adjustment you're making. It's not always easy, but personally I love winter in New England. Outdoor activities like skiing are really the key to getting through it -- the closest major ski slopes are a 30-40 minute drive from Concord.

As Wanna mentioned, New Englanders typically view religion as a personal and private thing. NH actually has the lowest rate of regular church attendance in the country. I definitely wouldn't describe the area as hostile to religion, but fundamentalists are few and far between.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
if you have the opportunity to snag a federal position - take it - they don't come along very often

I worked at the Concord Federal Building for years and it was great!

Concord has it's own weather that varies from the rest of the state - not sure why...

the closest ski area is about 45 minutes away - either Ragged Mt. or Mt. Sunapee

Concord is a city of professionals, due to the federal workers, Concord Hospital and the court workers. NH's supreme court is located in Concord.

The place of work is in the Pleasant St./South St. intersection. Is that a good area that isn't too expensive?

it's a residential neighborhood with the State Mental Hospital one block west. Not too many apts. there, (mostly private homes) but there are apartments available in other parts of the city.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:14 AM

Thanks for all the input.

Quote:
Not too many apts. there, (mostly private homes)
how about people who have a room for rent? My brother did that when he moved away (and married the lady )

How is public transportation there, especially to the area I just pointed out (pleasant St. South St. Intersection) is I end up living a couple of miles away?

Old 05-19-2009, 09:09 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitro View Post
Thanks for all the input.

how about people who have a room for rent? My brother did that when he moved away (and married the lady )

How is public transportation there, especially to the area I just pointed out (pleasant St. South St. Intersection) is I end up living a couple of miles away?
private homes renting rooms in Concord are rare

as far as the public transportation -
Concord Area Transit is the public transit system for the city of Concord, providing three distinct service modes.

The fixed route service provides service for commuters, shoppers, and the general public from Penacook to Manchester Street, Concord Hospital to the Steeplegate Mall, and St.Paul's School to Trailways and the Opportunity Corridor at Horseshoe Pond, as well as hourly service to New Hampshire Technical Institute.

I can't recall if there is a bus stop anywhere near the federal bldg.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:35 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitro View Post
Once again, craigslist is a great resource.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:08 PM

Excellent.

Quote:
Those prop taxes pretty much pay for everything (and renters don't get a free ride: it will be figured in to your rent)
How is property tax calculated when renting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire