Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 05:02 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,180,700 times

Advertisements

I believe we have new members here on the NH forum who served and I believe family member of those who are serving or have served, so I'm "bringing back" a post I made from last year, as it still hold true......

This weekend brings the start of the "summer season" for many, and we get "caught up" in the parades, BBQ's and such......but let us also take time to remember those who served and are currently serving our country.

My Dad and 2 uncles served in WWII - Thank you. Another uncle served in Korea - Thank you. My husband served in Vietnam - Thank you. My cousin's 3 sons are serving in Iraq - Thank you. My husband's great-great (?) grandfather trained Minute Men - Thank you. My father-in-law served in WWII - Thank you. My husband's cousin's son served in Iraq - Thank you.

For those who are still on active duty and their familes - Thank you. For those who served in in the past and made it back - Thank you and Welcome Home!

For those who lost their lives in service to our country and their families - Thank you and we will not forget you and what you sacrificed for us.

Please take time this weekend to remember those who lost their lives protecting us....and take the time to thank a Veteran who made it home and say to those men and women, "Thank you....and Welcome Home!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 05:17 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,218,358 times
Good post and reminder. We enjoy a high quality of life because of those who have served, those who are serving, and for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

Quote:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Old 05-23-2009, 05:56 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,333,738 times
Absolutely-I am thankful for all in our military-past and present. Thank you and God Bless them all!

My family members/ancestors have fought in every war from the American Revolution on up to the Iraq -I am proud of those who I knew and those who lived and died before me. My grandma was a Wave in WWII and she died in 2004 but I always think of her-especially on Memorial and Veteran's days. My uncle was in Vietnam and we lost him earlier this year-he was such a good man. We currently have a close friend who is in Afghanistan who I am so proud of and whom I miss terribly. God Bless the best military on earth!

It is very important that we remember the only reason we are the most free nation on earth is because of our military-past and present. I think too often many people forget that.

Great quote sgthoskins! I wish more people would truly grasp it.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:35 AM

6,575 posts, read 6,750,656 times
Thanks for posting this reminder My late dad served in WW2 and carried a bullet around in his body the rest of his life. He could have taken a partial disability pension but would not hear of it. He came home and worked his job for over 50 years ! No crying, no complaining from him.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:40 AM

586 posts, read 1,507,157 times
Great post, and great reminder. My great-uncles were in WWII. One of my best friends was in the USAF in Iraq I; another of my best friends is in the Army and in Afghanistan and Iraq. He's in Kabul right now, actually.

Please also remember the men and women in the intelligence community that serve and sometimes die to protect what America stands for.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:45 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,454,296 times
Thank you for the post, Dare, and to everyone for sharing the pride they feel, and for the stories of their brave - our brave - armed forces. My dad was in the Navy, served in the Atlantic and Pacific during WWII, along w/my uncle. He had to have an appendectomy and nearly died on the ship but chose to stay onboard rather than go home. My grandfather was mustard gassed in WWI. Both friends and family members are currently on active duty, one just returned home. My deepest thanks to all of those who have served or are serving to keep us free. I will never take their service for granted.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:14 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,042,312 times
Rolling thunder is in town. Just coming back from dinner and passing one of the hotels nearby (and I'm 1/2 hour outside DC?) it was amazing seeing that sea of motorcycles in the parking lot! Very impressive, but I don't think my ears could handle it

Old 05-24-2009, 07:01 PM

885 posts, read 2,662,398 times
On Memorial Day each year, we remember the sacrifice of every service member who gave their lives or bodies so that we may be free. I am originally from across the pond, so I am particularly in debt to those from the Greatest Generation who laid down their lives to keep an island free and to those who traveled to that green and pleasant land only to take a final journey to Normandy, to Arnhem, to the forests of the Ardennes, and a thousand other places.

May our children never see war..
On Weald of Kent I watched once more
Again I heard that grumbling roar -
of fighter planes, yet none were near
and all around the sky was clear
borne on the wind a whisper came -
though men grow old, They stay the same
and then I knew unseen to eye -
the ageless few were sweeping by.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:57 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,211,282 times
i aint complainin. i get paid time and a half to work tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:25 AM

369 posts, read 964,971 times
Thanks and a Tip O'the Stetsonâ„¢ to all who have served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire