Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:47 AM

909 posts, read 3,372,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
You're probably directing this question to seamusnh, but as a Hollis parent I can't help but comment on teen culture, consumerism, entitlement attitude, etc. In neighboring Hollis, it does exist among teens, however I would not say any of that is widespread - it is nothing compared to the teen culture in SoCal - which included some scary race wars as well. Remember that it is more rural here than your Houston suburb, agricultural communities which turned into bedroom communities, populated by the most serious sports fans I have encountered, a huge emphasis on kids sports.

The teen attitudes you describe are a function of the immediate environment - which is created by parents too lazy to impose responsibility on kids while providing a constant flow of stuff. Don't mean to turn this into a rant but parents create these spoiled kids. I can say that my son's nicest friends have chores and responsibilities at home, but none of my daughter's friends have any...I suppose this happens in many communities, but the more urban/commercial, the more rampant. Many families here live on large properties, some with barns, which require good old fashioned hard work to maintain through the seasons - probably more kids here get their hands dirty than in an urban suburb. At least I am hoping so.
This is one of the reasons we left SoCal and came here. Looking for a different culture. I guess that means different parenting culture. So far we are pleased to see kids that are learning to do hard work, although our sampling is admittedly small still. But it does feel as though there is a lot more diying here instead of buying. Maybe the location makes things less accessible? I don't know. But it feel more to our liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:55 PM

56 posts, read 125,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Teens are exposed to the consumerism and entitlement culture via cable TV, the internet, etc. so that is a given everywhere. It comes down to parenting.
You're absolutely correct -- it does come down to parenting. But every now and again I find myself wishing parents were all on the same sheet of music, generally. My feeling is that the damage done to our culture via last 10 years or so of rampant credit / spending is really showing up with a vengeance in our kids.

I went ahead and talked to SHS today, btw (or at least, their athletics dept). They were extremely helpful, and I'm very encouraged! And the more I think about their philosophical approach to educating high-schoolers, the more I think it would be a good fit for my kiddo. Still needing to talk to the district curriculum director, though, to determine whether it will help or hurt to come in front of 8th grade (as opposed to 9th). The math is the stickler.

You've been incredibly helpful, seamusnh -- thank you so very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
This is one of the reasons we left SoCal and came here. Looking for a different culture. I guess that means different parenting culture.
maestramommy, thank you for your response. You've nailed it. I'm looking for a different parenting culture.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:28 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,868,664 times
If you ever get around this way, let me know. My youngest daughter will be going into 8th grade at AMS this September.

AMS and SHS can certainly teach Math. My oldest daughter did very well in Math taking AP Calculus the past two years. She really did well on the SAT and ACT and is off to college next year to study biotech...

Old 05-27-2009, 07:46 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,463,300 times
If it is math curriculum which concerns you, you can always consider math tutoring to fill in gaps you may be finding in the public curriculum...but maybe it's the curriculum all the way through 12th which has you concerned? There may be extracurricular math groups like Math Olympiad and/or Math Counts for your daughter to get involved with - not that it makes up for math curriculum you may not be thrilled with, but it is something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire