Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:05 AM

132 posts, read 356,342 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
As we get ready for our move to NH and I scour real estate sites, I was wondering which would be better- a basement or an attic?

We want the extra room to be finished so we can use it for an extra area for our 4 children. Probably a play area originally and then as they get older we can use it for a game/tv area. If we could have a small bedroom/bathroom in that area it would be ideal but that isn't a must. The extra storage will be great too.

So being in NH, are there any pros/cons/considerations to one space over the other? I'm thinking flooding/water in the basement? Radon(which by the way we know nothing about)? Cost? Noise from the attic floors?

Also when square footage is listed for a home, is the attic/basement already included in the total sq. ft. if it is a finished space?

Please let me know your opinions and why you would prefer one space over the other Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 11:20 AM

680 posts, read 2,440,233 times
If it's finished, it should be included in the sq footage of the home.

Cons to basement: radon levels likely to be higher, higher risk of flooding, dark.

Cons to attic: likely to be less insulated, so probably more expensive to heat and cool. Slanted roof means less usable space. If you heat it in the winter, you have to make sure your roof is properly vented and well-insulated as warm air rising through the roof can lead to ice dams (learned the hard way!).

I guess it would depend on the place, but I'd prefer a finished attic.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:23 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Finished attic space is much more user friendly (and worth more at resale as well) than basement. The best and most desirable finished basements have a walk out option, best as a slider or french door, plus daylight windows, otherwise can feel sort of like a cave. Many basements tend to retain moisture, and must run dehumidifier constantly to keep under control. This is one thing in an unfinished area that contains your heating system, water pump, softner, etc. but quite another when this is finished living area. Radon levels are highest in the basement, so in case of finished area without windows or doors, you would want to test yearly.

Finished basement area is valued at less also, from your town assessment and for appraisal purposes. It will be included in the total square footage, but there are 2 values in mls, total and GLAAG (gross living area above ground). When insulating, think of it less as insulating the room and roof, and more as insulating the ceiling. Ridge & soffit vents need to be able to do what they are designed to do (move warm air up and most importantly, out!)

When looking at finished (or finishing) attic space, keep in mind that attic walk up is most desirable if you can access from the 2nd floor hallway, and not having to go through a room to get to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy, CA View Post
Hi all,
As we get ready for our move to NH and I scour real estate sites, I was wondering which would be better- a basement or an attic?
And you didn't ask, but I'll say it anyway--there is no need to scour multiple real estate sites. You can find the latest and most accurate real estate listings at www.NNEREN.com This is our statewide database, and it feeds/updates sites Some real estate websites are updated every couple of hours, others can take much longer (I know of 1 that takes 24-48 hours!) NNEREN, however, is instantaneous. If I upload a picture of a listing NOW, it will be available to the public NOW.

Last edited by Valerie C; 05-31-2009 at 11:35 AM..

Old 05-31-2009, 01:21 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,875 times
In my opinion the "desire" for a finished attic is really based on the non-technically oriented consumer. We saw many homes and without a doubt a nice windowed finished attic was the most appealing- until we realized what it meant (and what we deal with now...having cathedral ceilings which are *close* to having the same disadvantages as having a finished attic.

That said...

From a technical standpoint having a traditional unfinished attic means you can install excellent ventilation, stack insulation on the attic floor, seal air leaks from the living area, etc. If the attic is finished all of a sudden the only ventilation you get is what is afforded by the under-roof-sheathing air baffles (assuming a ridge/soffit vent setup) and the only insulation you get is what you can fit between the existing rafters and beams (sure, with enough forethought you could drop the ceiling and install better ventilation & thicker insulation, but 99.9% of people don't).

With that in mind from all aspects we really like a walk-out basement that has windows/doors to the exterior on at least one side. This means your basement won't be dark/cave like, chances are their will be less moisture (more ventilation) and radon (if it was an issue) will again be reduced by the increased ventilation (and honestly- with proper venting radon is a non-issue; proper venting is only "harder" on older homes with stone/dirt basements).

Just my 2 cents. From a practical, technical, and maintenance standpoint I'll take a finished basement anytime...but I will never take a finished attic (though they sure do look great!)

Old 06-01-2009, 08:40 AM

Thank you all. Since we have had neither an attic nor a basement this is great to think about. So much info. I never knew.

Thanks Val for the website and advice/info

Old 06-01-2009, 10:45 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,600 times
I have both and we spend most of our time in the finished basement, it has a lot more room , it is a full walkout with pretty much a wall of windows, in the summer when it is 85 degrees outside it is a comfortable 68 degrees with no ac in the winter it remains 60 degrees with no heat (partially because the boiler hot water tank is in the basement) We do have baseboard heat but we only turn it on when we're using it , turn off when not. it is also very inexpensive to finish if not finished already. The attic needs to be heated and cooled and we have tended to use it more as overflow storage. when purchasing have a radon test done as part of the inspection. if it doesn't have it then it takes that variable off the table, and the inspector can also do a moisture test, most newer homes are built with grading away from homes in mind and have perimeter drains and some waterproofing of foundation walls. a dehumidifier is a good idea. As far as value the attic is going to be considered living space and will be calculated at a higher value, where a finished basement they will usually just add on like $10,000.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:47 PM

104 posts, read 467,138 times
Finished basement space is by far more economical to heat, and is cooler in the summer. Being beneath the ground level it remains at a muchmore constant temperature (cooler in summer, warmer in winter). And the headroom is so much better too!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 AM

Thank you again for your replys and suggestions. I am leaning towards basement space but I guess it will depend on the actual house we decide to purchase and the general layout of the whole floor plan as well.

I have lived in my current home for almost 20 years(other than the 3 yrs I lived on Orrs' Island, ME) and I am really looking forward to buying a new home and the excitement(not the headache) of starting over in a new one. It is now 3 years and counting down till our move.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:09 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
why not have both?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:12 PM

BOTH--- Great Idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire