Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 12,897 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a job offer near Lebanon but it would be a big move. I have a 7th grader who is very active in sports but struggles greatly academically. We are nice, down to earth, liberal, open-minded folks who love the outdoors and recreation. I am in great need of advice. I am interested to learn about any towns within commuting distance to Lebanon where the people are friendly, the middle and high schools are very good with programs for struggling readers and where there are good recreational sports opportunities. I am sure the readers of these posts are busy but you can be sure that ANY information you share will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 08:24 PM

75 posts, read 226,951 times
The upper valley is very liberal. If you can afford to live in Hanover, you'll be all set.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:37 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,186,679 times
The schools in Hanover and Lebanon both get very good marks (particularly Hanover). I'm not sure, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have a program for struggling readers.

I think any of the other school districts within commuting distance would probably be a step down from Hanover or Lebanon.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:03 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,150,437 times
good luck - some schools are messed up in that if your child struggles with english, he may not be allowed to participate in sports or other class events

my youngest son is deaf and he attended Pinkerton Academy (that's located in Derry, a southern town) - he struggled with english and had to do summer school all 4 years - no clubs, no sports, no class trips
- they pointed out once at an IEP meeting that he did not participate in sports, etc. - I pointed out that was because of the school rules.....duh!......they really didn't know it was their own policies that prevented him from being part of the class.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 PM

27 posts, read 121,650 times
Hanover has one of the best school districts (Dresden) in the State. I believe Dresden is New Hampshire's only inter-state school district which is shared with Norwich, Vermont. Lyme, NH, which is a much smaller town also sends kids in the upper grades to Dresden.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:38 AM

586 posts, read 1,508,165 times
Hanover has a rep for being an excellent district with high snob-factor due to its proximity to and population of Dartmouth professors. It is also very expensive, even for NH. 3BR 2 BA houses are upper 400s minimum...more like $500-550k, even in this market (which is actually getting better in the Dartmouth/Sunapee area, at least).

The Kearsarge district is great, too, and many parts of it are commutable to Lebanon and Hanover (20-30 minutes). Watch your times on the bus to the middle and high school - can be anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes (maybe even longer?) depending on where in the district you live.

Lebanon schools have a fabulous music program from what I can tell.

People have said good things about Sunapee, too, but that's word of mouth third and forth-hand -- I can't confirm.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:03 AM

5 posts, read 17,750 times
The village of Meriden is 8 miles south of Lebanon on NH120 and is the home of Kimball Union Academy that takes students in grades 9-12. It isn't cheap, but day students do enjoy a cost advantage over boarding students.

I was once told by a former postmaster of the village that it was the best town in which to raise a family. My parents no doubt agreed with him - with the exception of the war years, my father lived there from the time he was 3 until he died, and my mother was born there and died there.

If you haven't guessed, it's my hometown, too, and while I no longer live there, it's a special place to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire