Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:55 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,007,217 times

Advertisements

I currently pay over $2,500 in Londonderry property tax, some on Meals Tax and, because I drive old cars, minimum Vehicle Registration tax. I pay plenty of New Hampshire taxes. I am annoyed because these taxes are not related to my income. They will still be there when I retire with a lower income and they are a higher proportion of my income than they would be for someone with and income 10 or 100 times greater. Going to a flat income tax would be an improvement on this situation. It is not taxation per se that bothers me, it is regressive taxation that has folks like me paying a greater share of our income than someone with far more wealth.

I doubt if most of our correspondents are in the mega bucks income range and I wonder why they (you) defend a patently biased system that not in your favor? Why do you support a system that so heavily favors the wealthy? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:05 AM

10,081 posts, read 15,822,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I currently pay over $2,500 in Londonderry property tax, some on Meals Tax and, because I drive old cars, minimum Vehicle Registration tax. I pay plenty of New Hampshire taxes. I am annoyed because these taxes are not related to my income. They will still be there when I retire with a lower income and they are a higher proportion of my income than they would be for someone with and income 10 or 100 times greater. Going to a flat income tax would be an improvement on this situation. It is not taxation per se that bothers me, it is regressive taxation that has folks like me paying a greater share of our income than someone with far more wealth.

I doubt if most of our correspondents are in the mega bucks income range and I wonder why they (you) defend a patently biased system that not in your favor? Why do you support a system that so heavily favors the wealthy? Why?
'Cause maybe they don't buy into class warfare?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:26 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,358,610 times
Well for starters, as CaseyB mentioned, a lot of us don't buy into class warfare. A lot us believe that hard work and sacrifice is key and that success should be rewarded not punished. A lot us believe that this country was founded-in part-to protect personal freedoms-which includes personal property. The government should not be stealing from me to give to others because they refuse to work hard like the rest of us. A lot of us also don't believe in the victim mentality nor do we believe in excuses.

I am not rich, have worked hard my whole life yet I am disgusted at the taxation and villification of the rich. I am even more disgusted that some people want the rich to keep paying more yet there is a segment of our society that pays no income taxes and is subsidized by the rest of us-rich and not rich. I am not a smoker, yet I cringe, complain and contact my reps everytime they try to raise the cig tax. I am not a lottery player but I think it is apalling that they are considering a new tax on lottery winnings. The out of control taxation and spending in this country is wrong-whether it directly affects me or not. Not only does spending need to be reeled in and taxes lowered on those who actually pay taxes but those who currently pay no taxes need to start paying, step up to the plate and be responsible members of society.

Last edited by nicolem; 06-05-2009 at 10:37 AM..

Old 06-05-2009, 10:42 AM

9,403 posts, read 20,923,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
The ME GENERATION???? Don't talk about the ME GENERATION Greg when you are the one that wants a tax system that only sticks it to those who bust their asses and make good money. That is the exact definition of ME.

A real fair system would be a FLAT tax. But we all know the liberals won't go for that. They need others to pull their weight for them. The more you post the more I realize our country is going in to the dumper at light speed.
There should be an unlimited reputation icon for you.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:57 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,873,185 times
Quote:

$2500 in property taxes? That's all? How many of the rich (which you defined as household incomes above $175k) live in houses that have a value which results in a $2500 property tax? How many drive cars that have the minimal vehicle registration tax? I wonder if they accumulate more each year in meals tax than you do?

So, if I understand this clearly you'd get rid of these other taxes and replace it with an income tax of 10% for households with incomes over $175k (twice the state median). Is that correct? I wonder how many households there are that make over $175k and if 10% would be enough... The math does not seem like it would work for me....

I suppose if the person made enough money and didn't like this 10% tax, they'd just move to FL where there is no tax or over the border to MA which only taxes at 5.3%

Old 06-05-2009, 11:54 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,226,078 times
Quote:

Your property taxes are related to the value of the house you own. If you can't afford the tax on it get a smaller house.

Why should someone making 30K pay 5% of their income to tax when someone who makes 350K pays 25% of their income to tax?

How is that fair? Explain to me in your mind how the above taxation is fair.
The entire concept of "because you make more you should pay more" is completely against the idea of people wanting to better themselves or taking responsibility for their actions.

With a flat tax the person making more would still pay a lot more but at least the rate is EQUAL and FAIR.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:28 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,467,772 times
Quote:
Because we have different philosophies. Does this mean that as long as the system favors you personally, regardless of right and wrong, fair and unfair, you will support it? That sounds highly emotional and not very critical/objective.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:34 PM

586 posts, read 1,511,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Gee I thought this so-called stimulus plan, the one that will send our country down the toilet, was supposed to fund road projects here in NH. How many times do I have to pay-via federal and state dollars to fix "roads"?
I just noticed a huge sign on 89 between exits 10 and 11 touting the repairs done with ARRA money. Neither here nor there...just wondering how many other projects are out there that folks have seen?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:38 PM

586 posts, read 1,511,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Also what I find interesting is federal "stimulus" $$ is going for another toll road-the Spaulding-to expand the road. Well, this project was proposed and was started before the "stimulus" plan. Shouldn't funds have already been allocated for this project? What about the toll increase from a year or so ago- I thought that was supposed to help pay for that?
In order to get the ARRA money out the door as fast as possible, USDOT requires that much of it go to shovel-ready projects -- that's projects that have already been approved an can get up and running quickly. many states have used ARRA $ to accelerate or increase the priority of various projects that they may not have gotten to for several years.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:26 AM

625 posts, read 2,441,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post
I just noticed a huge sign on 89 between exits 10 and 11 touting the repairs done with ARRA money. Neither here nor there...just wondering how many other projects are out there that folks have seen?
101 between Exeter and Epping. Not that it needed it, mind you...not like the construction that's being done on the Spaulding....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire