Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:53 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,854,787 times

Advertisements

"The toll hikes that Gov. Lynch hopes will pay for his highway funding plan are far from a sure thing. Executive Councilors set the toll rates, and they're not fans, said Councilor Beverly Hollingworth.

Lynch wants tolls to go up 50 cents, to $1.50, at main toll booths in Hooksett and Bedford. On connecting ramps and the Spaulding Turnpike, they'd go up 25 cents.

The new money would be used to bring open road tolling on I-93 and the F.E. Everett Turnpike, and to cover highway maintenance on divided highways throughout the state.

"I haven't talked to a single councilor who favors it," Hollingworth said.
One sure vote against higher tolls will be Councilor Deb Pignatelli. She's fought for years to get toll booths pulled out of Merrimack, where residents feel trapped between toll plazas. Imagine trying to tell voters there why it's important that they continue paying tolls to repair roads for folks in Littleton and Hanover."

UnionLeader.com - New Hampshire news, business and sports - State House Dome: Lynch eyes new tax on refinancing - Sunday, May. 31, 2009

Is Lynch really going to run again in 2010? If he is, these proposals are not going to help him.... Maybe he and Deval Patrick (D, Gov MA) are both heading for the Obama administration????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 03:03 PM

6,575 posts, read 6,748,143 times
I'm hearing from my political connections that he's leaning to not running for a 4th term which no NH governor has ever won. But I've also herd that he's intrigued about winning a 4th term.....so I guess time will tell.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
Unmaintained roads wear out and fall apart. Decaying expressways are dangerous. a pothole hit a 40 mph may flatten a tire and annoy the driver. One hit at 75 can send the car into the trees or rocks. The first you can survive, the second a lot less likely.

So, if toll increases are unacceptable, how do you propose to pay for repairing the roads?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:29 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,332,719 times
This is a separate toll increase from the one in the proposed out of control budget, correct? Add that to the toll increase from a year or so ago and that would mean 3 toll increases in a short period of time. Yet they need more of our $$ for "roads".

There is more than enough $$ brought in to fix roads. However, in this state as in most others, $$ is easily collected under one category, such as "roads" to only be allocated to the "general fund"

Gee I thought this so-called stimulus plan, the one that will send our country down the toilet, was supposed to fund road projects here in NH. How many times do I have to pay-via federal and state dollars to fix "roads"?

I guess this is to be expected when we have people in charge who believe that there is a revenue problem not a spending problem in this state.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:41 AM

186 posts, read 849,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Unmaintained roads wear out and fall apart. Decaying expressways are dangerous. a pothole hit a 40 mph may flatten a tire and annoy the driver. One hit at 75 can send the car into the trees or rocks. The first you can survive, the second a lot less likely.

So, if toll increases are unacceptable, how do you propose to pay for repairing the roads?
Looks like Nicole just answered your question. I've seen the roads in this state. They are pristine compared to other major North Eastern states. Exactly *what* is the problem that needs fixing? And then there's 101 that has all these signs that say its being fixed courtesy of the American Taxpayer and the economic pork bill that was just passed in Washington.

So what is this lack of money and where are all these pot holes you speak of?

I can't wait to cast my first vote against these fools in Concord and for someone with some sense of fiscal restraint. New Hampshire must not turn into Massachusetts or heaven forbid, California.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:07 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,040,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Gee I thought this so-called stimulus plan, the one that will send our country down the toilet, was supposed to fund road projects here in NH. How many times do I have to pay-via federal and state dollars to fix "roads"?
I know some of that stimulus money is going to be repairing the metal bridge on Rt 123/4 in New Ipswich. The bridge is not in good shape and really needs it. It's also the main thruway through town.

Mind you, I can't stand reading some of those edicts (I don't want to develop an ulcer) so I don't really know... is there some stipulation that the Fed money can't be used for repair of existing toll roads? -not that I've noticed those highways in NH particularly need any repairing....

Old 06-02-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
I know some of that stimulus money is going to be repairing the metal bridge on Rt 123/4 in New Ipswich. The bridge is not in good shape and really needs it. It's also the main thruway through town.

Mind you, I can't stand reading some of those edicts (I don't want to develop an ulcer) so I don't really know... is there some stipulation that the Fed money can't be used for repair of existing toll roads? -not that I've noticed those highways in NH particularly need any repairing....

I don't believe there are any stipulations as part of the $$ is going to repave parts of 93-again.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:17 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,040,966 times
ah. 'cause 93 needs so much new re-paving..... . Thanks! (but Highbridge badly does need replacing. At least that's one -small- incident of it going to a right place)

Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 AM

Also what I find interesting is federal "stimulus" $$ is going for another toll road-the Spaulding-to expand the road. Well, this project was proposed and was started before the "stimulus" plan. Shouldn't funds have already been allocated for this project? What about the toll increase from a year or so ago- I thought that was supposed to help pay for that?

Wanna-the amazing thing is all this $$ is being thrown around and if there are going to be projects-there should have been some thought put into it. Shouldn't the funds go to those roads/projects that truly need it-like the bridge you mentioned? I just read in the Citizen that they are paving Parade Road/106 in the Lakes region but not doing anything to 11B/11 which is like a bumpy rollercoaster in some areas. I am sure-like in any case where states get a windfall of cash-there are politics involved.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:30 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,854,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

One would need the answers to these questions:

A) What is the state budget for highway repair maintenance and construction?

B) How much does the state take in from the owners of cars and trucks now: tolls, excise taxes, and gasoline tax?

If B > A, then no problem....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire