Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:27 PM

596 posts, read 1,707,286 times

Advertisements

I posted a similar thread for NH lake towns. I'm also considering White Mountain vacation towns as I plan to potentially move to NH and open a small business that is geared towards the vacation/tourist industry. My wish-list is as follows. Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

- Looking for a town with a presence (Littleton or Franconia?)
- A town with a somewhat "upscale" downtown area geared toward tourists
- A place with at least a shred of gay owned/gay friendly businesses, I'm not looking for a Provincetown, but an area that has some concentration
- A town where someone who didn't grow up there could not only move there and feel welcome, but also feel supported were they to open a respectable (and needed) small business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM

26,425 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
I posted a similar thread for NH lake towns. I'm also considering White Mountain vacation towns as I plan to potentially move to NH and open a small business that is geared towards the vacation/tourist industry. My wish-list is as follows. Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

- Looking for a town with a presence (Littleton or Franconia?)
- A town with a somewhat "upscale" downtown area geared toward tourists
- A place with at least a shred of gay owned/gay friendly businesses, I'm not looking for a Provincetown, but an area that has some concentration
- A town where someone who didn't grow up there could not only move there and feel welcome, but also feel supported were they to open a respectable (and needed) small business
Yes, I think you could also include the North Conway area on your list. It meets more of your requirements and is the gateway to the White Mountains, Attitash, Wildcat, and Mount Washington. It has some outsiders moving in, is popular with tourists, and has a sizable chunk of 2nd homes. In terms of geography you can't beat the location (highway 16 corridor). It is a heavier traffic area with high visibility.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 08-11-2009 at 04:50 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
North Conway and Stowe Vermont.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:19 PM

371 posts, read 1,162,069 times
None of the north country towns would be considered upscale - in the sense of Aspen of Park City.
North Conway is good otherwise as the center of a lot of tourist traffic - it's not dumpy or anything, I just would consider it more family-oriented vs. upscale. Neither Littleton nor Franconia have enough tourist traffic.

I agree with the other post that would direct you more towards Vermont.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:06 PM

107 posts, read 274,064 times
I really agree with North Conway. It has lots of year round tourism, has lots of couples and groups as well as family, is gay friendly ( I lived there for several years- not gay but had several gay friends there who had no problems with the area), and unless things have changed in the 2 years I've been gone, could really use a gourmet food business. It's not like Aspen (they have Gucci and Dior there, sheesh!), but it has a certain upscalish quality. Meredith is nice for a lake town, but pretty dead in the winter. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:43 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,798 times
Yep, North Conway. Not upscale at all, but getting somewhat more so (some nicer restaurants, organic foods, coffee shop, etc), tons of tourists and climbers, gorgeous setting, possibly more gay-friendly than points further north?

Old 08-12-2009, 05:20 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,286 times
Thanks for the information. Although my two threads are crossing a bit, I'll ask for some feedback here as well. How would you summarize Littleton and Bretton Woods?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:30 AM

26,425 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Littleton is a "regional center" town along I-93 that serves much of the North Country of western Coos County, Essex County VT, and Caledonia County, VT. It has a decent amount of shopping, big box stores, and a good Downtown area. I wouldn't call it upscale, but it is a plessant place for what it offers.
Town of Littleton New Hampshire

Bretton Woods is a resort area where the Mt. Washington Resort is located. It has a golf course and ski runs there. Condos are common there with little residential development since it abutts the national forest.
Mount Washington Resort - Bretton Woods, NH - New England's Four-Season Resort.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:38 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
What kind of business though? I don't think super expensive is going to work in my opinion.in the Littleton or Franconia area. You are also going to need to survive during "off season". I think you may need to also cultivate a market of people like myself that live near Littleton and Franconia that like to have some nicer things as well.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:06 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
I would consider Hanover. Not really a tourist town, but it's certainly upscale due to being the home of Dartmouth College. Portsmouth would really be the other option in NH IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire