Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 04:04 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times

Advertisements

as a result of a 3 year old child drowning yesterday. There were three lifeguards on duty, yet none of them noticed the child was floating face down in the water.

Her family was also present, but didn't notice she had been floating for awhile.....

I don't understand why ALL the pools would be closed. I don't even see the logic in closing the Keach Park pool. It's tragic that a child drowned, but closing all 5 pools seems a bit like overkill.

Did you know that drowning is the #1 killer of children of NH? followed closely with motor vehicle accidents at #2. Nationwide, drowning is the #2 cause of death in children.
Drowning Prevention

is it that Concord does not trust life guard training classes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 04:10 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,955 times
That is a sad story indeed. Are you saying that Concord doesn't have lifeguard training?

The article says that the child was at the pool with her mother and three other children. There is no way I would feel comfortable trying to supervise 4 kids by myself around water.

I have a 3 year old son and whenever he is in water, one of us is standing right next to him (shallow water) or holding him (in deeper water) 100% of the time. Our eyes do not leave him, period. We also have a 1 year old, and the same thing applies. Usually I have the one year old and my husband has the 3 year old.

I guess the city wanted to close the pools for liability purposes until an investigation could be done. The article said pools were scheduled to close on Friday but the dept had extra money.

http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs....PAGE/908180305

Last edited by MovedfromFL; 08-18-2009 at 04:28 PM..

Old 08-18-2009, 04:10 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,331,280 times
I thought the pool was set to close early anyway due to funding issues? I thought I heard on the news that some Manchester and Concord pools would be closing early due to funding issues. Perhaps I am wrong but I thought I heard it on the news.

If they are in fact closing all pools because of a tragedy, then with that I disagree. Plenty of children swam there without incident but to close it because of one tragedy does not seem right to me.

Regardless of whether the pools remain open or closed, this is just so very sad.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:19 PM

680 posts, read 2,441,216 times
That is really sad. I used to be a lifeguard and I can tell you that I would never trust them to keep my kids safe in the water. Lifeguards are usually very young, standard Red Cross training is very easy, and trying to watch a crowded pool filled with kids jumping, splashing, yelling, fooling around and ducking underwater makes it very difficult to tell when one is in trouble. Young kids and people who aren't strong swimmers should have one-on-one supervision in the water.

The article seemed to imply that the pools weren't closing early. It said they were scheduled to close Friday but stayed open a bit later since early summer was so icky. That said, I assume the city is probably going over its procedures with a fine-tooth comb to lower the risks of something like this happening again and to prepare to defend itself against a possible lawsuit.

Stories like this just break my heart.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Accidents are just that - accidents. We can prevent many but not all. I wish the family the best.

I just read this morning that some damn fool was racing a motorcycle on Rt 125 in Plaistow at speeds over 125+ and clipped a mini-van while passing in a no passing zone. He died in the crash and his rider is in critical condition here in Boston. He gets the Darwin Award and she just trusted the wrong guy. I feel sorry for her and for his family.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:11 PM

The article says that the child was at the pool with her mother and three other children.

She was the third child. Her siblings are 5 and 7.

have a 3 year old son and whenever he is in water, one of us is standing right next to him (shallow water) or holding him (in deeper water) 100% of the time. Our eyes do not leave him, period.

exactly.

sad, sad, sad.

Another drowning yesterday in Newfound Lake. I don't know if they've recovered the man's body yet, I haven't caught the news reports. However, the search team says it's not unusual for a body not to come up in that lake where he went down. It's 160 feet deep.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Accidents are just that - accidents. We can prevent many but not all. I wish the family the best.

I just read this morning that some damn fool was racing a motorcycle on Rt 125 in Plaistow at speeds over 125+ and clipped a mini-van while passing in a no passing zone. He died in the crash and his rider is in critical condition here in Boston. He gets the Darwin Award and she just trusted the wrong guy. I feel sorry for her and for his family.

there was a motorcycle accident on 125 in Milton yesterday too. The truck that hit the motorcycle in this accident was turning on to 16 while the bike was going straight so chances are the accident was the fault of the truck driver. No fatalities.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 PM

oops...my bad. The toddler had 3 siblings. 5, 7 and 3 months old. Mom was tending to the infant and did not see the toddler slip into the deep end. She thought she was with the older children. When the two older ones asked to go to another part of the park she noticed the 3 year old was not with them. That is when she noticed that her daughter was being pulled from the pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire