Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 11,513 times

Advertisements

It obviously seems that bedford is the place to be according to the school information; however which elementary school do I choose? I have a third grader and a kindergarten age child. I need a town that provides lots of options for extra-curricular activities for my kids. I am also looking for a safe family friendly neighborhood, i would love it if my kids could just walk to a friends house. This move will be extremely difficult for them.

thank you for any feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:41 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea&sun View Post
I need a town that provides lots of options for extra-curricular activities for my kids.

What kind of things do you need a town to provide YOU?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:36 AM

I wish for my kids to be able to pick and choose whatever sports they want to participate in, as well as swimming lessons or teams, gymnastics, horse backriding lessons and music lessons, etc..

For us, I would like to have nice shopping and restaurants as well.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:36 AM

11 posts, read 30,001 times
I live in a town bordering Bedford and drive through there quite often as we have family living there. From what I've seen, it is not a town connected by sidewalks where little ones can safely walk to a buddies house unless you live in a planned community of homes with sidewalks (and probably a HOA fee) or a neighborhood where the homes are close together. I live in an older part of town in Merrimack where the homes are close and my kids can walk to a friends home (or bike) but they are tweens now and I did a lot of driving around town when they were small (and still do) and probably will until they can drive. Both towns are very safe crime-wise but there are always going to be bored punks around who will break into cars, knock down a mailbox, or speed down your street when the kids are playing, etc.

All of the activities you mentioned can be easily found in Bedford as well as the bordering town of Merrimack. Merrimack has a YMCA with a swim team as well as many of the other activities you mentioned and it is a short ride from Bedford. Bedford is minutes from several nice restaurants and a major mall, the Mall of NH. It is also one of the most expensive places to live in this area.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 AM

anyone living in bedford, that can give me some ideas as to neighborhoods within bedford, and which elementary is better than another?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:15 AM

thank you that's good to know..

Old 06-23-2009, 12:58 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,850,059 times
There are a lot of activities in Amherst for kids.
Peabody Mill Environmental Center: Peabody Mill Environmental Center
Rec League Sports: MyRecDept.com (http://www.myrecdept.com/nh/amherst/default2.asp - broken link)
In the summer, many people belong to a swim/tennis club: Jasper Valley Swim & Tennis Club - Amherst, New Hampshire
When the kids get older, the high school (Souhegan) is in the top 6% of the country (as is Hollis High): America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

As for shopping, there are many shots along 101A which stretches from Nashua to Milford. It is not too far from Amherst to the mall in Manchester or the mall in Nashua; my teenage daughters have shopped them all!

I am not sure about Bedford, but in Amherst there is no choice for public elementary schools as the schools are divided K - 1, then 2 - 4, then 5 - 8, then high school. This is done by design to prevent the situation where one part of town has a better school than another part of town...

Old 06-23-2009, 03:13 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,934 times
Bedford has three elementary schools K-5 and one middle school 6-8.

All are equal. So pick the home you like best. Unlike other states, you can't choose your elementary school. Schools are assigned by home location.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:00 PM

369 posts, read 964,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea&sun View Post
I wish for my kids to be able to pick and choose whatever sports they want to participate in, as well as swimming lessons or teams, gymnastics, horse backriding lessons and music lessons, etc..

For us, I would like to have nice shopping and restaurants as well.
Gymnastics programs are popping up like dance and martial arts studios. The further you get from the larger population centers the more equestrian centers you'll find.

All of the above are private businesses. If you find a town which "provides" them, the real estate taxes will be astronomical.
Read "Prohibitivly Expensive".

Sports programs are usually handled by the school if they have the budget for it.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 PM

18 posts, read 85,754 times
We are going to be moving up to Bedford this August. Our kids are the same ages as your kids. I think it's going to be more difficult for our oldest daughter (3rd grade) b/c she has some close friends in our home town now that she will miss. We did a lot of research and Bedford seems to fit our needs the best. There's a town pool open during the summer that will hopefully be the way our kids are going to make friends initially before school starts. Check out bedfordneighbors.com, which is a club we are probably going to join to meet people in town as well. One part of there website has info about all the sports/activities for the kids. Good Luck in your search. DM me if you want any more info on how our kids are transitioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire