Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:06 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
a fisher cat followed my cat into the house through the cat door - it was a terrifying experience! they are a vile animal that will kill small pets. I lost THREE cats to a fisher. I saw him take two and only found pieces of the third......

the .22 is ready when he shows up again.

after having one in the house, I removed the cat door and cats became strictly indoor animals thereafter. The reputation of a fisher as a killer is well deserved.
Vile? They are just doing what they do. Are lions vile because they kill a gazelle? Are owls vile because they kill bunnies? Are your cats vile because they kill chickadees and cardinals (which they do...even if you don't see it)?

YOU invaded their habitat. YOUR cats are the ones out in their territory. It's not difficult to co-exist with nature. Instead of letting your cats go outside and hurt the native songbird population you could just keep them inside and let nature do what it does outside.

The fact of the matter is that it is your responsibility to be a responsible pet owner. YOU need to learn to co-exist with nature...not the other way around. It's not nature's job to conform to your views.

btw....you'd be breaking the law to shoot that fisher. You wouldn't get caught probably...but that doesn't make it right. I have no respect for any type of poaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:18 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Fisher is still the most valuable fur in N.H. averaging around $70 dollars. Theres definatly no shortage of them in NH.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:32 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
he was vile BECAUSE he came into MY house to kill my pets....he would have attacked anything including me.

Fish & Game said it's okay to shoot any animal that is attacking pets and hunting laws do not apply when an animal comes into your house. If they happen to be out of season, F&G will take the pelt, which is worth approximately $200. It's not poaching, it's self-defense.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Last years auction they averaged $71. I think the days of the high fur prices are a thing of the past.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:49 AM

I'm sure you are right Ken. I don't trap animals of any kind.

I was also told by Fish & Game that fishers will go through screen doors and screened windows to hunt pets that are indoors.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Police: Fisher cat bites boy at bus stop | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

^here's a story of an unprovoked attack on a child by a fisher cat in RI.

Fisher cat suspected of biting Newmarket man | SeacoastOnline.com

^ and another of a man attacked while mowing his lawn

I would suspect rabies in these cases.

Also note that the animals are described as much larger than official sites indicate. The one I had in my house was bigger than my cat and my cat weighed a hefty 18 pounds.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:37 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
I would second the rabies assumption...ANY animal with rabies is going to act atypically (including humans).

But as I mentioned earlier a survey of 1000 fisher stomachs were sampled...and cat remains were only found in one. So while a Fisher *may* eat a cat- its not really a preferred prey. No doubt folks will get unlucky and unlike many who just "saw" a Fisher and moved on; those with bad experiences will share them more readily.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:42 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,277 times
Quote:
he was vile BECAUSE he came into MY house to kill my pets....he would have attacked anything including me.

While it seems VERY odd one would actually go into a house, I think you're being a bit hysterical saying it would have attacked anything, including you. They aren't ravaging maniacal killers out for blood....they are a 20 pound ball of fur that eats meat I think you'll find far and away more bites and injuries caused by cats and dogs than the ravenous fisher.I can see why you would be a little freaked out by them though coming in the home.

Either way...your house is in his territory, and you are the one who granted him access to your house by installing a door.

If I go to the beach and have a cookout....and then walk away for an hour, I don't blame the seagulls for stealing my food. I would blame myself for leaving it unguarded.

Quote:
Fish & Game said it's okay to shoot any animal that is attacking pets and hunting laws do not apply when an animal comes into your house. If they happen to be out of season, F&G will take the pelt, which is worth approximately $200. It's not poaching, it's self-defense.
You said the .22 was waiting for the next time he shows up....not the next time he was attacking your cats.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:04 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
YOU invaded their habitat. YOUR cats are the ones out in their territory. It's not difficult to co-exist with nature. Instead of letting your cats go outside and hurt the native songbird population you could just keep them inside and let nature do what it does outside.
Does that mean I have to let the Native Americans in to my house and allow them to eat my food? Can they cut my trees down and use my yard as a toilet?

Man takes over land, it's pretty simple. His property is no longer the fisher cats territory.

If any animal comes on to my property and I feel it will harm one of my children, it will get shot.

If we want to get technical we can just call all habitat and land "property of the .gov". After all we are just leasing it.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:31 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Have never dealt with a fisher except for having one SCREAM just outside my window a few years back. (OMG what a nose they make!) Anyway, good for you in having only indoor cats now. 5+ years as a vet tech taught me that cats have no business being outdoors--sort of the cat version of "unleashed is unloved". Disease (Feline Leukemia... FIP... rabies, it's all out there), parasites (ticks, and fleas that cause various worms, etc) and attacks from wildlife or unleashed dogs, and of course, CAR vs. cat = heartbreak, whether it's a fanbelt injury or a hit-by-car. There is just no good reason for cats to go outside these days. Your kitties are safer, healthier and probably just as happy living the good life indoors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
after having one in the house, I removed the cat door and cats became strictly indoor animals thereafter. The reputation of a fisher as a killer is well deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire