Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:58 PM

309 posts, read 993,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
my generator ran the pellet stove just fine. Pellet stoves burn much cleaner than traditional wood stoves with hardly any smoke. In comparison my neighbor's woodstove chokes the entire neighborhood. Pellets are a lot cheaper than oil. 3 tons will last the winter - that is $750. versus double that in oil costs.
That's highway robbery. My neighbor paid $80/ton for pellets and still has a high electric bill. Pellet stoves are a waste of money - unless you're in a one room cabin.

I have a hotwater boiler that produces very little smoke burning pallets. It produces 760 gals of water which keeps the house toasty at 80F all day/night long in cold Montana. That replaces 1500 gals of fuel oil a month. If I had ready access to hard-coal I'd save even more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 03:00 PM

To answer the OP, Montana has no sales tax and the prices are lower than surrounding states. WY & SD have no income tax, but the fees make it regressive. ND and ID have small taxes and many come here to do their shopping - taking the chance of not being caught for the "use taxes".

Old 07-19-2009, 06:07 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,157,071 times
My neighbor paid $80/ton for pellets

WHEN was that? last winter they went for $350 ton, because there was a severe shortage. I heated with oil instead because it was cheaper. This year the price has dropped to $250/ton.

Three years ago, the average price was $100/ton.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:11 PM

The manufacturer in VA pays about $80/ton for the raw materials (sawdust) and an additional $37/ton to truck the sawdust into their facility. Their landed cost of the dust therefore is $117/ton. After producing the pellets, where there are many other costs involved, the pellet is wholesaled to me for $175/ton.

It then costs me $70/ton to truck the pellets from Virginia to CT where I land it for $245/ton. Therefore, at $289 retail, my markup is only $44/ton.

Green Energy Resources Signs US $28M in Wood Pellet Orders - Renewable Energy World

IF your friend purchased pellets for $80/ton, he was extremely fortunate. I don't mean rabbit pellets...LOL

the heat from the pellet stove was very nice - the house stayed at 75 degrees plus. When I use oil, the thermostat is set at 64 degrees.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:36 PM

post #11

That replaces 1500 gals of fuel oil a month.

I don't know what you're heating, but it must be a castle! I don't spend $1,500 a year...

Old 07-20-2009, 05:52 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,112,508 times
Comparing Montana with NH. Maybe Montana has more logging than we do in NH now making pellets cheaper but I haven't seen any pellets selling at that low a price and it's even hard to find a place that is even selling Pellets up this way. Pellet stoves are not hot selling up here.

Plus, having to split and stack logs during the summer gives me my much needed workouts that I otherwise would not be doing.

Call me wierd..... but there's something about the smell of a wood stove burning outside on a cold winter day that i like.........

Old 07-20-2009, 08:49 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,260,894 times
I don't think that's weird at all.Thats one of the things i miss living down here. Even the wood fires burning when it gets down to 40 don't smell the same.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:42 PM

We make the pellets here in Montana and have been doing so for close to 15 years. Some commercial operators were using them to heat factory floors. But, it became abundantly clear that they weren't cost effective and abandoned it and returned to LP gas.

Before we went to the boiler 1500 gals of fuel oil is what it took to run electricity in the backwoods. Heck I'm 16 miles off the paved road and up a mountainside and there's no power line up here. We had two 35kw gensets that ran 24/7 to power the house and two barns.

Down to one 17kw genset our electric bill for running the house is $100/mo and the boiler costs virtually nothing b/c we cut our own.

Last edited by mtlogger; 07-24-2009 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
My neighbor paid $80/ton for pellets

WHEN was that? last winter they went for $350 ton, because there was a severe shortage. I heated with oil instead because it was cheaper. This year the price has dropped to $250/ton.

Three years ago, the average price was $100/ton.

Two years ago, before he switched to a boiler like mine. He figures he's saved $3600 in those two years on heating alone. More than enough to pay for the boiler. This year I see Arbor (UT) is selling them for $150/T and Little Mill (ID) for $180/T. Everything I've seen from MI Eastward is charging premium prices up to $325/T

Old 07-24-2009, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,231 times
Consumer products, except for oil and fuel, are not more expensive. Services provided by the state are. Vehicle registration in VT is something like $20 or whatever for everyone. In NH it is based upon the value of the car and can be a lot more. I have found in my experience that there is no perfect state. If one thing is cheaper, you can be guaranteed that some other thing is more expensive. For example, a friend of mine had allergies here in NH, saw that in Arizona it was dry and that there was a lot of construction going on. 1) He ended up getting allergic to the things that were there in Arizona, 2) He still had trouble keeping a job. He came back to NH. If you have high wages in one state, you might find higher prices too. To me the difference is whether I like the area in terms of things that money cannot buy: peace of mind, quiet, low crime, fresh air, nice scenery, less traffic.... These are some of my most favorite things... No State income tax and no sales tax is a benefit. Are some things more expensive? Perhaps some. Are they worth it? To me, yes!

I was born in Vermont, love Vermont, my parents live in Vermont, but I am right on the border and can visit them a lot. So, I am where I want to be. Finding it for yourself is as simple as listing the real things that you like and going where they are.

It is unfortunate that real estate is so expensive. I doubt I will ever be able to buy a home in any condition despite having the skill to not just build a house, but to design it also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire