Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:32 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I used to be an elementary school teacher in FL and never saw what you describe above. Kids were still happy little kids! And I don't know of any school in FL or GA where kids change classes.
when I was in middle-school grades (back in the 70s) in Hollis we changed classrooms, but in lower grades we didn't. I have heard from a number of MD teachers that here, even in the elementary schools, the kids do change around classrooms. whether or not they are robot-like between classes, I have no idea. I can't imagine there would be no talking or giggling, or general noise in the hallways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 02:26 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
I can't imagine there would be no talking or giggling, or general noise in the hallways.

that was the creepy part. in fact, I was more guilty than the students were during my visit and I got the evil eye and a lecture. As an adult, I must be aware that no talking, whispering, touching between classes goes for EVERYONE, even VISITORS. We must set examples. Only kindergarten and 1st grade did not switch classes. As far as I know, this applies to every district.

Recess was weird too - no jump ropes, no baseball, no running games (tag, red rover) because of the fear of lawsuits from children falling. very strange.

I'm glad that we have not YET forced our pre-schoolers into this environment. Some states want the kiddies as young as 3.

Last edited by buck naked; 08-18-2009 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-18-2009, 02:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
I'd like to see them actually be able to function after high school though. It seems as if graduating students don't understand government or economics or basic science anymore. IMO, these are important subjects that should not be left to college education.
That is why I teach these subjects and more at home. I don't trust or expect public education to cover it all. My kids attend public school but it their education is my responsibility.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:05 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
I wonder how elementary school age kids can change classes? From my experience in two other states, the only time they were out of my class was for their "special" class (about 40 minutes a day: art, PE, computer, music, etc.)

My other question about school in NH is this: is kindergarten mostly a full day up there or is half-day the norm? Does it vary by district? I've only experienced full day in FL and GA (even when I was a kid back in the 70's).

Old 08-18-2009, 04:07 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
it's normally a half day. there are still a couple districts that do not have kindergarten. Derry is one. I paid for my children to go to a private kindergarten because kindergarten was not offered.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
it's normally a half day. there are still a couple districts that do not have kindergarten. Derry is one. I paid for my children to go to a private kindergarten because kindergarten was not offered.
IMO, that's nuts. No K at all? 1/2 day? I am very familiar with the curriculum for kindergarten in GA and FL and there is no way it could be compressed into a half day (or skipped altogether). 5 year olds are expected to read and write sentences by the end of kindergarten.

And we aren't talking about spending the day with naptime (there is none), playtime, coloring, etc. The kids work hard on letter sounds, phonics, reading, writing correct sentences, science, social studies, etc. It's a different world than I had in a full day program back when I was in school.

EDIT: I just went on the Derry website and found plenty of info about kindergarten, as well as a pre-k (ages 3 and 4) program. ???? Maybe they developed this in recent years?

Old 08-24-2009, 05:18 AM

12 posts, read 36,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
I have only read the original post but will say that I do not believe excessive funding is the path to a 'quality ublic education'. Many of my friends are teachers (who also believe that throwing money at public education does not solve the problem), some of which have seen hrs cut due to furloughs, and I myself have volunteered a lot in public schools -Education is the biggest priority in my house, but already taking up the slack of a number of public ed. systems we have been part of independently, I vote against public ed. funding consistently. Private education is the best option if you can find a private school which is the right fit. Biting my tongue about teacher's unions....

there is a reason public school teachers are one of the biggest groups to send their own kids to private schools

Old 08-24-2009, 10:00 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloobella View Post
there is a reason public school teachers are one of the biggest groups to send their own kids to private schools
Depends on the state/county/town/school district. There are some absolutely awesome schools out there public and private as well as some absolutely terrible schools out there- public and private. As much as folks like to complain about public schools, they still feel the need to vote for politicians who mandate highly restrictive curriculums or the need to harass teachers constantly has helicopter parents.

I had a parent call me once to find out why their child didn't receive a job- THAT (parents) is a problem that isn't addressed in schools.

I believe NH residents largely have some values that help prevent the above as much as possible...but its still a pervasive issue across the country.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:52 PM

522 posts, read 715,786 times
NH is a state that wants kids to have quality education. But with poor towns what do they get? Subpar.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 PM

How about spanking (i.e at high school level) and confinement? Do you do that up there? We are still in the dark ages here in Georgia. Some districts think that they can spank a high schooler straight. Worse, some schools lock troubled kids in isolation rooms resulting in more than a few child deaths. We also had a case where a teacher sat on a troubled student and suffocated him. (after he was denied food until 2PM)

I can't believe I'm even writing this... : (

I just want to find somewhere normal where kids want to learn, *most* parents want to help, and schools aren't the wild, wild west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire