Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:36 PM

489 posts, read 964,152 times

Advertisements

Good point. You don't meet many people in Lacey who are from Lacey. With the military bases just 30 minutes north, it makes for a diverse population. One thing I do really like about living here in NH is meeting people who are from this area and are fourth, fifth, or even longer generation Granite Staters.

-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 06:36 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I guess people would have to be 60+ years old to understand..... You can't miss what you never knew.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Quote:
Everybody laments about the good old days.
Yet they do so over a high speed broadband connection or a smart phone.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Yet they do so over a high speed broadband connection or a smart phone.
Yup and complete with the big ugly towers....... The tower in Moultonboro at least was made to look like a tree LOL, A Sequoia

Like I said you don't miss what you never knew.

In Mass as well as NH I could show you places i used to ride horses and hunt, that are just man made parking lots serving the new wave people.

I can recall towns where there was a real working blacksmith... That's pretty rare these days and the guys that make claim to being a smith usually are not, even if they get a little dirty.

There is a lot that has gone missing that no one knows about because they never knew it in the first place.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:43 AM

238 posts, read 315,326 times
Mac_Muz,

It doesn't always take 60 years to notice/appreciate the differences. The following song was written in ~1982 by a person born in 1951.

I went back to Ohio
But my city was gone
There was no train station
There was no downtown
South Howard had disappeared
All my favorite places
My city had been pulled down
Reduced to parking spaces
Ay! Oh! Where did you go, Ohio?
I went back to Ohio
But my family was gone
I stood on the back porch
There was nobody home
I was stunned and amazed
My childhood memories
Slowly swirled past
Like the wind through the trees
Ay! Oh! Where did you go, Ohio?
I went back to Ohio
But my pretty countryside
Had been paved down the middle
By a government that had no pride
The farms of Ohio
had been replaced by shopping malls
And Muzak filled the air
From Seneca to Cuyahoga Falls
Said Ay! Oh! Where did you go, Ohio?

My City Was Gone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-18-2012, 09:29 AM

If whom ever wrote that and were born in 51 s/he is 60 or 61 now..... In 82 I could have said the same things i am saying now too. I know of that song......

Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 PM

111 posts, read 243,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeehombre View Post
Remembering growing up in N.H., so much of what made that a unique experience is gone. As I leave I contemplate a home town, that I can no longer drive through + know where I'm going. There are so many developments that orienting myself is nearly impossible. All of the places I hunted and fished, went blueberrying and snowmobiled as a kid are now somebody's back yard. I miss the smell of the grange hall and the Ad-hoc frrequent fundraiser (admittedly penny-Anty) ham+ bean suppers that promoted the sense of community, which now are so rare as to be non-existant.
Along with those community functions was the conversations with "Old-timers" around town, only too willing to share their experiences in town of obscure things like "Old Buddy" down by the lake that would leave for duck hunting with 3 shells in his pocket + consistantly return home with his limit of 3 ducks. Plus the stories of innocent mischief in a simpler time. In the words of one old timer, "It's not a camp, unless you can chase someone through the house with garden hose!" Admittedly the torch has been passed to younger persons as the older die off, but nothing but transient disconnected persons have replaced them, with apathetic thoughts of cashing in on home equity to finance their next Mercedes or Volvo.
Truly, the richness of life here has gone from this place. I wouldn't allow my kids to miss that!
Same is true for me, just in the midwest. I don't recognise it anymore. I plan to spend a week there and end up leaving after 3 days. I've sought out places around North, Central and South America to work and live, and I keep trying to return "home". Sadly, like you, I can't return there anymore.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:43 PM

Rode out 122 miles in my mountains yesterday. My wife asked what that smell was..... I told her Hay Dirt which is the smell of dead and dying leaves..

Some roads we took were Rt 113, Rt 25, Rt 25 b, Rt 175, Rt 3, Rt 112 and Rt 16. They all have the same smell.

Saw 2 turkey and a mess of Raven. The Raven always mock me.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 PM

497 posts, read 953,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Saw 2 turkey and a mess of Raven. The Raven always mock me.
Can ya blame them fella

They are smart, no matter what folks think.

I recently watched something on Nat. Geo. that was a study on Raven/crows. Iknow, Iknow, more boring that watching TV golf or a Mets game, but the Scientists stated that Ravens have cognative thought processes, much like Dolphin or apes. It was neat to watch it.

Small story;
This occurred when I was about 20, and thought I knew all about hunting and other worldly things.......
Back many many years ago I shot a crow in the woods [in NJ, its legal during season] because, as you say, it was following my stalk, and caw'ing every time I sat to still hunt. No sooner had I shot that Crow, that 6 other appeared and started gathering around the carcass, and Caw'ing loudly. others showed up and caw'ed from the trees. It spooked me, I gathered what I shot, and left. Those damn birds followed me all the way back to my truck.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
Can ya blame them fella

They are smart, no matter what folks think.

I recently watched something on Nat. Geo. that was a study on Raven/crows. Iknow, Iknow, more boring that watching TV golf or a Mets game, but the Scientists stated that Ravens have cognative thought processes, much like Dolphin or apes. It was neat to watch it.

Small story;
This occurred when I was about 20, and thought I knew all about hunting and other worldly things.......
Back many many years ago I shot a crow in the woods [in NJ, its legal during season] because, as you say, it was following my stalk, and caw'ing every time I sat to still hunt. No sooner had I shot that Crow, that 6 other appeared and started gathering around the carcass, and Caw'ing loudly. others showed up and caw'ed from the trees. It spooked me, I gathered what I shot, and left. Those damn birds followed me all the way back to my truck.
i don't watch silly man made sports on the tv.... i watch the nature shows like you seem to and or science and history. I have never watched baseball, basket ball foot ball or hockey. Nor Golf....

I do know a few things about the last wild places and the creatures in them..

I keep sayin' one of these days we should meet. You would really like my wife and her art too.

Me: I just play the fool...... Did yesterday too. off rt 25 west in Plymouth getting gas and the temp dropping some i decided it was time to add a layer since we were on the bike...

Rian pants are full pants unlike chaps and i decided they would be better for wind which of course there is more than plenty and it looked like it might rain a little and later in the top of Rt 112 it did a little.

But a guy getting gas in his truck was paying a little too much attention to use getting dressed in the parking lot.. Rain pants of on over pants and boots.. So i gestured I wanted to talk and grinned when he showed 'sign' he would and i told him that some 20+ years ago I hand never envisioned putting more cloths on my wife!

That stranger like a good many went off with his own little grin..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire