Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

We drove down from Littleton yesterday and the views along Rt 25 between Haverhill and Plymouth were very pleasing. It was a good day for a ride but we spent the weekend with family in Landaff and lugged along too much stuff.

BYW - Doug Erb on the Brook Road in Landaff is making and selling very good cheese right on the farm. Well worth the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 PM

198 posts, read 482,506 times
When I think of life in New Hampshire it reminds me of the play Our Town by Thornton Wilder.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:20 AM

According to legend, "Our Town" was set in Peterborough, NH a long time ago.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
If whom ever wrote that and were born in 51 s/he is 60 or 61 now..... In 82 I could have said the same things i am saying now too. I know of that song......
Not a NH resident, though almost was one. Dad was going to buy a motel around the Notch but died in 71 before he could pull that off. All he wanted to do was get out of CT and land somewhere between WMNF and Sebago.

Once I was old enough to drive I went up there at least once every year. Hiked most everything, climbed most of the 4000 fters (still have 3 to go, probably won't get there). Over those 20 years I brought every girlfriend and significant other to go experience "heaven".

I haven't been in NH since 94 so not sure what's happened since then (and probably don't want to know). But to me, my personal tipping point was when McD's opened at the south end of the Kanc. I remember when there were just two places for breakfast over there (only one of which was good) and lines out the door for both during foliage season. You could still drive the Kanc and not see another car for a few minutes - and have Bear Notch Rd. to yourself. Could actually get through N. Conway in 5 minutes. Squam Lake still had rules on what boats could be used and how fast they could go.

Progress was and is inevitable. But IMO, that area went too far. I feel for you. At some point, even for me as an outsider (do you still call us 'flatlanders'?) it became less than 'heaven' and more an ordeal. The charm certainly was gone. As I haven't been in 18 years, I'm hoping it didn't get too much worse - that 302 and 16 north of N.Conway stayed relatively pristine.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 AM

sskink - You do not want to know what Lincoln looks like. You really don't.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:25 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
sskink - You do not want to know what Lincoln looks like. You really don't.

I have to disagree - not much has changed since 1994.....

A family-friendly getaway in Lincoln, N.H. - Travel - The Boston Globe

Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Not a NH resident, though almost was one. Dad was going to buy a motel around the Notch but died in 71 before he could pull that off. All he wanted to do was get out of CT and land somewhere between WMNF and Sebago.

Once I was old enough to drive I went up there at least once every year. Hiked most everything, climbed most of the 4000 fters (still have 3 to go, probably won't get there). Over those 20 years I brought every girlfriend and significant other to go experience "heaven".

I haven't been in NH since 94 so not sure what's happened since then (and probably don't want to know). But to me, my personal tipping point was when McD's opened at the south end of the Kanc. I remember when there were just two places for breakfast over there (only one of which was good) and lines out the door for both during foliage season. You could still drive the Kanc and not see another car for a few minutes - and have Bear Notch Rd. to yourself. Could actually get through N. Conway in 5 minutes. Squam Lake still had rules on what boats could be used and how fast they could go.

Progress was and is inevitable. But IMO, that area went too far. I feel for you. At some point, even for me as an outsider (do you still call us 'flatlanders'?) it became less than 'heaven' and more an ordeal. The charm certainly was gone. As I haven't been in 18 years, I'm hoping it didn't get too much worse - that 302 and 16 north of N.Conway stayed relatively pristine.
Yeah we still call you flatlanders.. LOL You been away too long there is no south Micky Dee's off the Kanc as that is a east west road..

In N Conway there is one a bit north of the east Entrance, South of there at Rt 16 and Rt 25 Jct is another in West Ossipee. I don't attend either one as i just don't eat road side poison. I can not recall any Micky Dee's over in Lincoln or Nawth Woodstock.

The 4,000 footer's Why the HELL NOT? I am 60 and i ain't quite yet, bad back n all........

Rt 302 west of Bartlett is almost like you recall, but the Bartlett Village has changed..The Inn burned anmd has become a park, the corner store sort of caved in and is gone. The Bear Notch is gated and closed in winter. Too many Flats getting stuck up there. I twitched one of the last out and he was all about Mass DOT, because the bill was too high That was the 2nd time I had to suffer listening to people with high power friends down in Mass

About the 4th time i told him he was NOT in Mass and he would PAY the Bill of find his vehicel in SACO Maine come Spring time he got it.... The river here still goes there as you would recall

The other fool did about the same other than he blocked off my well marker sleigh trail at Attitash with a jeep, which he left locked in 4x4.

Umm......... that won't stop a team of 1,200 each Belgian horses any

I did ask all polite like too at the first time the guy was going to park in my trail head.

It was not my fault that I had entered and was blocked in from coming out for my next load of tourists to haul either.

So I spun the pung in it's place and chained up that jeep and parked down by the river!

Oh Boy was that guy mad in the morning........ I got there about 4 in the late afternoon with the team. His emergency wasn't my problem. I was a bit earlier than I planned, but because the local wrecker was stuck down the trail a hundred yards and my trail needed to be open by 4:30.

So I pulled out the wrecker first listening to the Flat. I told him 90 bucks before but that whine got me and so the bill went up to 150. It was that or Ice Out... That fool tried to write check LOL Nope I like green stuff... Ice out will be in about 90 days

Do I sound loco to you? err umm uhh local?

Hopin' yer grinnin'........ Ahuyha

Do look me up sometime.......

Old 10-24-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
I have to disagree - not much has changed since 1994.....

A family-friendly getaway in Lincoln, N.H. - Travel - The Boston Globe
I still like it over that way....... I miss the old pipe line that ran on the south side of the Kanc.. Do you recall that, and or the old dam now long gone? I like west of there too up by the other Lost Pond..

Old 10-24-2012, 05:20 PM

497 posts, read 953,207 times
I go across the Kanc every now and a spell to feast @ the Woodstock inn, and to visit Kelly's tattoo in Woodstock, for another reason....

Lincoln/Woodstock is where my folks first took us in NH when I was a wee laddy. Ol' Clark's TP and his trained bears.
Took my kid there too all the time when she was little, when you could feed the bears by means of the strings and cans....[remember???] We'd camp on the Baker River in Rumney, and run up to Woodstock a nite or two.
When we started to truly consider moving to NH, we first looked in those locations, then Littleton, then Bethlehem. I liked Bethlehem, and Dalton.
When we came across the Mt. W. valley, we fell hard for Madison, and the house is in a great locale, right along the Big Pea, so the rest is history.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 PM

NNHGuy I really like that place in N Woodstock too. Bike it over there lots..... Truants as well but there food isn't that great unless they have steamers! My bike days are getting numbered and i don't mean pedal bikes either.. (evil grin)

Not into tatts funny huh a Rider no tatts....

I see you did and probably STILL have the dream.... 'Seenit right off plain' Ahuya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire