Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 37,536 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are a family from Texas who will be moving to the Portsmouth area in the next few weeks. We have only been to Portsmouth once this last March for Spring Break, so we don't know all that much about the town, but we did fall in love with it in the short time that we were there. I have two elem. age children, so I was wondering how the schools in town were. From reading greatschools.com, it looks like Little Harbor School gets the highest rating with New Franklin not far behind. I know that you can't always go by that, so I was wondering if any of you have any first-hand knowledge about the schools. Also, I was wondering about the best area of town to live in. We will be renting at first until we get a feel for the area. I know that the historic area along the water around Strawberry Banke is out of our range, but we would like something in the $2000.00 a month range. We are self-employed and work from home, so we don't have any restrictions of being close to a job. Just looking for a good school and neighborhood for our children. Thanks for any info you can give me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 06:21 AM

193 posts, read 534,228 times
I grew up in Elwyn park and went to Dondero elementary school. That was quite a while ago, but it was nice then.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:46 PM

11 posts, read 37,536 times
Default my first response---yeah!!!!

Thank you for the reply mdamien. I was beginning to wonder why I hadn't gotten any responses yet! I am not finding many home rentals online and was wondering if it is hard to find a place to rent in Portsmouth in the $2000.00 a month range? Winter rentals in York, ME keep popping up and they seem plentiful! I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on York. I was thinking that perhaps if we take one of those, it will give us more time to actually find something in Portsmouth before our time in the winter rental runs out. Any thoughts on that?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:37 AM

It's a great idea. We are renting in York right now, in fact, through the end of September. There's nothing going on in the winter, but naturally the summers are hopping. York is only 20 minutes from Portsmouth.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:05 AM

14 posts, read 47,478 times
A lot of landlords only advertise in craigslist, that's how we found our rental. Also check with Kari at Old Fort Properties a real estate co. in downtown portsm. they have several homes for rent right now. We were just up there last weekend. Personally I would try to stay in NH because of the taxes (no tax on your income, no sales tax, and favorable business conditions tax wise) very different from Maine. Best of luck.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:41 PM

In terms of business conditions you would have to weigh your individual circumstances being self-employed. NH has an 8% "business profits" tax that is not attractive to business in general, but that might not be an issue if you have low profits.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM

5 posts, read 7,635 times
Default Heading to Portsmouth

Hi! We are a family from Texas who will be moving to the Portsmouth area in the next few weeks. We have only been to Portsmouth once this last March for Spring Break, so we don't know all that much about the town, but we did fall in love with it in the short time that we were there. I have two elem. age children, so I was wondering how the schools in town were. From reading greatschools.com, it looks like Little Harbor School gets the highest rating with New Franklin not far behind. I know that you can't always go by that, so I was wondering if any of you have any first-hand knowledge about the schools. Also, I was wondering about the best area of town to live in. We will be renting at first until we get a feel for the area. I know that the historic area along the water around Strawberry Banke is out of our range, but we would like something in the $2000.00 a month range. We are self-employed and work from home, so we don't have any restrictions of being close to a job. Just looking for a good school and neighborhood for our children. Thanks for any info you can give me!![/quote]

Hello, I came across your posting and find myself in your exact position. My family is also from Texas and we are looking to relocate to Portsmouth. I am pretty unfamiliar with the area so I wanted to see where you ended up. I know it has been a few years but I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 7,635 times
Hello, I came across your posting and find myself in your exact position. My family is also from Texas and we are looking to relocate to Portsmouth. I am pretty unfamiliar with the area so I wanted to see where you ended up. I know it has been a few years but I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire