Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:36 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
oh they're trying!! You can thank Northern VA for all that. NoVa is so overpopulated that it managed to actually change the voting block for the whole state: a state that was always conservative now votes democratic most of the time. And the traffic is worse that in MD (which, during rush hour will take 2 hours or more to go 30miles). and the weather is ugly: hot, humid in the summer, and the wind makes it cold enough that it might as well be NH - but without the natural beauty to go with it. Only place I know of in VA that isn't expensive to live might be Roanoke (you still have the taxes, but shopping and gas prices are lower).

Personally, I think NH wins out easily.
You're psychic. My wife keeps delivering the knockout punch to me each time I mention moving to NH, but I keep getting up . If we don't move to NH, we were considering Roanoke. From what I understand, VA wrote the book on taxes. If we do move to VA, I want nothing to do with the northeastern part of the state because of its congestion and crime (hence, Roanoke). Time will tell....Thanks for the suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 03:01 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
We're feeling more wishy washy than Charlie Brown. The alternative move state was Virginia, but holy cow(!!!), it is sure expensive to live there. Have they taxed the air they breathe there yet??? We'll try a trip up to NH this coming February to get a good taste of the winter. By the way, I just pulled up a webcam shot of Lake Ossipee; it refreshes every 5 seconds. Unbelievable!!! What a gorgeous state you all live in. Be thankful.
Wern't you checking out property in Wakefield. That's not to far from Ossipee Lake. Thats a nice area. After living in NH almost 50 years thats the general area where i'll gladly spend the rest of my days as soon as i move home.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:29 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
You're psychic. My wife keeps delivering the knockout punch to me each time I mention moving to NH, but I keep getting up . If we don't move to NH, we were considering Roanoke. From what I understand, VA wrote the book on taxes. If we do move to VA, I want nothing to do with the northeastern part of the state because of its congestion and crime (hence, Roanoke). Time will tell....Thanks for the suggestion.
My mom, who grew up in Portsmouth and Lyndonville, VT currently lives in Roanoke and refuses to move back north (and luckily has sense enough not to move down to FL). She insists that everything is much cheaper there, I do know that gas is cheaper there than it is here in MD (which is a touch lower than NH). The mountains are very pretty there, I just don't like the weather - and it's still VA with its taxes and still being run by NoVa even though it's 4 hours away.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:10 PM

407 posts, read 1,074,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Wern't you checking out property in Wakefield. That's not to far from Ossipee Lake. Thats a nice area. After living in NH almost 50 years thats the general area where i'll gladly spend the rest of my days as soon as i move home.
Yes, Wakefield's on the radar. I'm trying to find out more of the area, and whether the area is populated enough to keep my kids busy making new friends and after school activities. Although we're not in search of suburbia, we're trying to find a compromise between having easy access to conveniences, but with far less congestion.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:11 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Didn't the tornado go through that area last year? I believe it hit close to the village of Granite in Ossipee if I am not mistaken.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:16 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,798 times
The tornado cut a swath right through Epsom, Barnstead, Alton, New Durham, Wolfeboro, Freedom, Effingham and Ossipee. I was in one of those towns at the time. It was crazy.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
That tornado started just behind a house i used to own in Deerfield and ended, just up the road from a place we recently bought in Effingham. Boy is that weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire