Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,404 times

Advertisements

A message for those who wish to move to our state

Our motto here is LIVE FREE OR DIE.

That is our ideology, we may not always live up to it, but it is our aspiration.

Therefore you will see people walking around in rural areas with rifles, down dirt roads, crossing the back roads. You will see rifles iin the gun racks of pick up trucks.
You will see fresh kill hanging in the yard.
Your will see unhelmeted bikers, and people driving their convertibles without a seat belt. Some would say that they are engaging in risky behavior, but who said freedom was safe?
Long before some government talking head thought we needed a "law" churches were marrying gays and people will continue to oppose such things..freedom of speech has yet to be duct taped by political correctness and freedom of action is sacred. ( lets keep it that way! )
ATVS and snowmobles are quite common and don't be too surprised if at any given moment you are sharing the road with one, that's the way it is.
We go camping because we can, and we don't do it to escape a city slicker lifestyle..it is our lifestyle.
We HATE the concept of broad based taxes, sales taxes, poll taxes, hell we HATE taxes period!
We are sometimes loud and opinionated, but as a state we frevently come together for community disasters.
We are diverse, farmers, laborers, professionals, when we sit down at dinner at the local diner it don't matter who you are or what you do, we'll still share a laugh with ya, or help you out with directions or the best place to get a pizza in town.
We have our flaws, too much freedom without responsibility is some areas too little freedom in others but we keep working on it, you are welcome to work with us, but DON"T try working against us we because Live Free Or Die can also be accurately read as Live Free or FIGHT!

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-18-2010 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Thread title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 12:50 PM

215 posts, read 583,805 times
Damn Dave you hit it right on the head. You called it like it is and like it should be. Thank you for saying what so many of us have been saying for so long. I tried to rep you but had to spread the love.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:38 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,033,730 times
ditto. We me disagree on a lot - but that we both agree with!! (BTW: all the many bikers we saw on the road last weekend, were all very courteous riders and not noisy at all!)

Old 11-15-2009, 01:55 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
ditto. We me disagree on a lot - but that we both agree with!! (BTW: all the many bikers we saw on the road last weekend, were all very courteous riders and not noisy at all!)
Yeah but how about those noisy graybeards that were on the road today?

Old 11-15-2009, 03:08 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,033,730 times
lol! wouldn' know about the noise - I've been updating websites all day.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,967 times
Sound great and I can't wait to move to the state. Hopefully we will find out by end of Dec-mid Jan at latest

*fingers crossed*

Old 11-18-2009, 04:34 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Guys, the current rule is that you can have AT MOST 2 stickies per forum.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:19 AM

202 posts, read 504,913 times
(My two cents that I had posted on another thread to somebody thinking of moving to NH)

Regarding politics, it is not so much a party thing here in NH as it is a liberty thing. If you move here please do NOT vote into office people of either party that want to turn NH into a high tax, nanny state that restricts or removes individual liberty.

Also, a lot of people hunt here in NH. If you see hunters with or without their kills please do not let it bother you. Go on about your business and don't call the cops because you "saw some guys in the woods with guns" or you saw somebody with a dead deer hanging in their yard or in the back of their truck.

And we love our guns in general up here. A lot of people carry firearms concealed for protection and some carry them openly in a holster. Open carry is legal and accepted in NH. If that bothers you then it's best you don't move here. We will not change our gun laws to make you happy.

Again, this is not so much a "political party" type thing as it is a liberty mindset type of thing. We simply do NOT wish to live in a liberty-restricting nanny state like so many other places in the country right now.

So if you come up, please respect this and help elect candidates to office that believe in individual liberty. Please do NOT vote for seat belt laws, higher taxes, bigger government and all the rest of the stuff that has ruined the quality of life in other states.

Please note also that all of this is not just for us who are already here...IT'S FOR YOU AND YOUR KIDS TOO. Once you taste what it is like to live in a free state with small government you will probably never want to live in a place that restricts individual liberty again. So when I say this to you it is to help you prepare for living differently. Don't give in to the temptation to vote people into office who will ruin the quality of life that you and your family can have here in NH.

Tuck this message away somewhere and refer back to it when you move here. When the temptation to vote in the nanny staters hits you, it will serve you well to remember that only you can help protect NH's quality of life for you and your family.

Edit: One last point, on the odd chance that perhaps you do prefer a nanny state type environment (and some people do and that's fine) then I suggest checking out Massachusetts. The western half of the state is quite scenic, along the lines of New Hampshire and the eastern half insures that the state is quite oppressive and seeks to control every facet of a person's life. That sort of thing appeals to certain people so do check it out if the cranky libertarian environment that exists in New Hampshire isn't your cup of tea.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,910 times
Dave, this is a great thread and topic--thank you for starting it. It was nice to see a 3rd 'sticky' for a couple of days anyway (how'd that happen??) Anyway, let's keep this one up near the TOP of the list and it'll be *almost* a sticky...

All I can add is a note to those who are thinking of moving here, or who have recently moved here. Think about WHY you chose New Hampshire. There were 48 other states that you could have gone to. Many of them have more entertainment, more city-life, more coastline, more SOMETHING... But something brought you HERE instead. If it was because the New Hampshire way of life appealed to you, please do your part to maintain that way of life.
Thank you...

Old 11-18-2009, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 17,464 times
I just moved here from New York ****ty and i love it .Fresh air No gangs no metal detectors in schools .People are the best I can carry a gun but do not feel the need to If you do not love it here move to NYC or mass or San fransissyco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire