Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,867,298 times

Advertisements

hey MUZ -

I happen to have clean fingernails from sitting down and doing sums in front of a computer screen. That does not mean I cannot use a chain saw, a Bridgeport Mill or a Lincoln Welder. It means I get more money for using the computer in Boston than fixing industrial machinery in New Hampshire.

I have to wonder what the newcomers are doing to afford 500 grand houses on 150 grand lots here in L'derry. Yeah some of these folks want to turn the town into something it is not but the same people are willing to cough up tax money to keep the orchards operating.

BTW - Back in the Good Old Days when Benson was running the show in Concord he was cooking the books and spending far more money off the books than on. We have to pay for his excess just as the stockholders of his failed company. At least Lynch is not a thief.

Now most of the NH budget is being used to feed, educate and pay medical expenses for a suprising number of our citizens. I had not realized it has gotten so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 09:18 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,996,804 times
Greg , You know what I mean..... Running CAD too I bet... Right there you tell me you can be a sawer, machinist, welder, probably a mechanic. And dam if if we ain't all accountants slavin' for the goobermint. 'Ave yee some fun in prepin' fer April 1st, or did you delay that action?

I 'ad me sum fun one day tryin' ta' help a NYC type CEO who thought he needed no help taking down a larger maple sappling. Ho Ho Ho... he got a barber chair break, and it drove him by below the belt if you get my drift, right thru his bulked cellar door. He was lucky to live, but he sure did walk funny a week or 3.... LOL

He knew way too much for me to be of any assistance... Oh well eh?

I'm off, gotta git me sum dirt under my nails. Today I think that will be 6061 alloy, some stainless, and maybe even carbon steel...... and lots of glass sand, all crud and mung from a glass grinding belt sander big industrial rig in fer over hauls.

BTW, you just made my wize guy list of the day That otter please you plenty!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 AM

758 posts, read 2,891,985 times
As far as the uneducated, redneck comments go, it find that more than a bit ridiculous.

Bottom line is that you find salt of the earth people (some like to label them rednecks) in any rural area...regardless of the state. This is not something unique to NH.

If you want "worldly and intelligent people" then move to an urban or developed area like the Seacoast/Portsmouth or the 93 corridor....or better yet somewhere in greater Boston.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
As far as the uneducated, redneck comments go, it find that more than a bit ridiculous.

Bottom line is that you find salt of the earth people (some like to label them rednecks) in any rural area...regardless of the state. This is not something unique to NH.

If you want "worldly and intelligent people" then move to an urban or developed area like the Seacoast/Portsmouth or the 93 corridor....or better yet somewhere in greater Boston.
You would be amazed at just how popular we red necks would be in harsher times. Suddenly in the past I have been very popular since i can start fire with a bow drill, and in that last big ice storm, the one that took out all New England, to Ny up to Montreal, east again to Qebec, were there was no GASOLINE and NO POWER you bethca a man with 2 saws and fire was sum wicked popular....

I don't need Van Gogh, Dali, Renoir, since nature does that for me, and if I want to see a 'maid milking' I can just go watch one.

So far I have never once stepped foot in a Star Bucks, I almos did once, mistaking it for something to do with 19th century whalers. Talk about a mistake! On the other hand, there certainly was some very harpoonable inhabitants in there

It all depends on what yer subject too, and I ain't subject to much.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:13 PM

259 posts, read 602,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNPA View Post
I will give you a perspective on taxes though, for those of you who think that NH is bad or is not as good at it seems. My wife and I live in a house on Long Island. Houses are expensive here to begin with, but our taxes are relatively inexpensive for LI standards at $9600. Across the street is a different town and theirs are about 3-4K higher per house. It differs per town quite substantially.

Now on top of that, you factor in NYS income tax for which my wife and I pay about $11K per year. That is already about 21K per year. Add to that a NYS sales tax of almost 9% on everything you buy. Just moving to New Hampshire I'd stand to pay less than half of the taxes I pay right now by voiding the state income and state sales tax, even if I pay 10K per year in real estate tax.
I can't agree more! I lived in NY, too (Rockland County), and talk about an expensive place to live. NH property taxes are CHEAP by comparison. Factor in the fact that there's no state income tax or sales tax, and this is a much less expensive place to live. Even though our property taxes were about half of what we're paying here, we had to pay state income and sales tax there. We also had to pay for services, like trash pickup, that the city of Manchester provides.

I have no complaints whatsoever about the taxes in NH.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:56 PM

31 posts, read 66,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukieF View Post
I can't agree more! I lived in NY, too (Rockland County), and talk about an expensive place to live. NH property taxes are CHEAP by comparison. Factor in the fact that there's no state income tax or sales tax, and this is a much less expensive place to live. Even though our property taxes were about half of what we're paying here, we had to pay state income and sales tax there. We also had to pay for services, like trash pickup, that the city of Manchester provides.

I have no complaints whatsoever about the taxes in NH.
Me too, similar for me here in CA. I pay 7k/year in property taxes, and another 5-6k in state income taxes. Then, on all CA purchases we pay almost 10% in sales taxes, which translates to another 3-4k/year in taxes. So, adding it all up, I pay 15-17k in CA taxes/year.

After looking at properties on NNREN, I've seen NH property taxes ranging from 3-9k. So even if I pay 10k in property taxes in NH, thats it. I'll still be saving tax payout in the move to NH. And if I pay higher property taxes in NH, thats just gonna give me a bigger federal tax deduction/refund, so I'm coming out ahead no matter. Vehicle registration is negligible, unless its up in the thousands...???

Old 03-21-2010, 07:29 PM

46 posts, read 109,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilmayjune View Post
My husband and I are a European-American couple too (I'm from the western region of Massachusetts) who moved to New Hampshire nearly 5 years ago. Before that we lived in my husband's home country.

We live a few miles from the Massachusetts state line. We chose NH partly because of the tax-free hype (we didn't know it was hype until we'd lived here for a little while) and because it was the closest destination where my husband had a job offer that was a reasonable distance from my family (who are still in MA). His first job offer was in Maryland but we knew that would be too far away from my home base.

In a nutshell, I don't like it but my husband does. He loves shopping and is interested in hunting and other such provincial pursuits. I'm dismayed by the redneck culture of the state. We have met a number of worldly and intelligent people, but most of them seem to be transplants like us, and some of them have moved out of the area. If you like huntin' 'n jackin' and smokin' and don't know what a college degree is, you'll be happy here. There seems to be a lot of work in the healthcare sector, education, and defense/electronics industry, if you're in the creative sector there's nothing much....you might find something in Boston but then the commute would be hell and you'd have to pay Mass. income taxes.

The reason why I called the tax-free part hype is because the property taxes are sky-high...the state simply compensates for no sales tax, no state income tax etc., by imposing higher than average property taxes. Also, when you register your car, the fee is based on the type of car (I think it depends on the value, style, year, etc), which basically translates to an excise tax, even though it's not called that. I have not done a tax burden comparison between NH and MA, but all I am saying is that NH is definitely not as tax-free as many would be lead to believe. However, the business environment in NH seems to be better than any other NE state.

I would say definitely don't move without a job offer, unless you have family here that can support you. You didn't mention an interest in Massachusetts, but since I'm from there and visit there regularly, I'll add my 2 cents. The unemployment rate seems to be really, really bad in Massachusetts, even though it's New England's cultural and educational center. Plus they just raised the sales tax from 5% to 6.25% which is going to put further burden on existing business and would-be visitors or prospective transplants.

From a cultural perspective I personally wouldn't recommend NH. I haven't been to NYC very many times in my life, but if you're considering there and like metro areas, it's probably a good bet.
I'm reading quite a bit of hostility in this post.
It's been my experience that when a kind of passive aggressive lashing out of this sort takes place, it's based principally on factors having little if anything to do with that which is being expressed at the time.

Having known more than a few well spoken, intellectually curious and highly cultured New Hampshirites (born and bred, incidentally) over the years and still more of those you might regrettably dismiss as "Rednecks", I'm puzzled by your take on the state and its inhabitants.
Which is why I'm advancing the idea that there are likely other factors, having little to do with the great state of New Hampshire, which could likely explain your dim tone.

This isn't to say that any state is a utopia or above a critical eye, but your dour presentation makes me wonder if you ever really wanted to be in the state to begin with and if now you've displaced your longing for another place with hatred for the one you're in.

In other words, is it possible that NH (and, by extension, the inhabitants therein) is merely a convenient punching bag with which you seek catharsis in order to alleviate pre-existing frustration and even anger?

Sometimes we stumble upon misery, but I have to wonder if you didn't pack a good deal of it in your suitcase before ever having arrived in the Granite State, only to unpack it here and now.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:48 PM

Tweed, No she's right, we hicks ain't gut no cultcha'. Robert Frost grew up elsewhere as did Webster, and Henry Thoreau, never came here, nor did many Presidents. and just cuz we got no cultucha' grover Cleveland didn't have a place in Tamworth, and this list goes on and on.

Why we red necks cling to God, Country, and Guns! As you know this is a sin if you come from western whimp Euro

Old 03-22-2010, 07:14 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,386,499 times
Luckily, I think there's a place that each of us can find, somewhere in this country, where we can fit in, thrive, and feel like we're at home. Unfortunately for Aprilmayjune, that place is not NH.

I hope she finds that place someday, and I could probably take a few good guesses at where that place might be. Burlington, VT, NYC, San Francisco, Miami, FL? I hope she doesn't move to Barrington, NH. I want happy neighbors!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 AM

46 posts, read 109,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Tweed, No she's right, we hicks ain't gut no cultcha'. Robert Frost grew up elsewhere as did Webster, and Henry Thoreau, never came here, nor did many Presidents. and just cuz we got no cultucha' grover Cleveland didn't have a place in Tamworth, and this list goes on and on.

Why we red necks cling to God, Country, and Guns! As you know this is a sin if you come from western whimp Euro
Point taken, Mac.
We oughtn't forget that the more contemporary likes of Charles Simic, Dan Brown and the recently deceased J.D. Salinger have similarly found a steadfast avoidance of New Hampshire and all it houses to have been beneficial as well.

Not to mention the author of all those "No one ever has to pay taxes in NH" signs conspicuously displayed at the state borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire