Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:49 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times

Advertisements

Greenmartiam, Yeah I agree, 'Culture' is what you make of it, and it might not be the same for each person. Kind of like a religion, where just maybe a man can find more of either in the woods.

I read on another thread you live in a controverisal life style, one I would not choose for me, and my ways, but I wouldn't attempt to stop you from it, or alter it in anyway.

It just isn't my bee's wax, untill you were to make it so. Therfore we can agree.....right?

Old 04-24-2010, 07:55 AM

202 posts, read 504,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Greenmartiam, Yeah I agree, 'Culture' is what you make of it, and it might not be the same for each person. Kind of like a religion, where just maybe a man can find more of either in the woods.

I read on another thread you live in a controverisal life style, one I would not choose for me, and my ways, but I wouldn't attempt to stop you from it, or alter it in anyway.

It just isn't my bee's wax, untill you were to make it so. Therfore we can agree.....right?
Yep. Live Free or Die is pretty much the bottom line.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:48 PM

12 posts, read 26,017 times
Clementine,

I know how frustrating is to be looking for work. In your case, you've leapt to the conclusion that people in NH are a bunch of ignorant, xenophobic rubes who won't hire you simply because you're an immigrant. There are plenty of immigrant success stories all over New England, so I don't think your assumption is correct.

You should also know that there are millions of white, native born U.S. citizens currently looking for work. In some cases, I'm sure immigrants might suffer discrimination, but with some jobs- ones that require knowledge of foreign languages, or give preferences to people based upon race or ethnicity- immigrants actually have an edge over native born, white U.S. citizens. So instead of coming in here and insulting the whole state, concentrate on what you can control and look in the mirror in assessing your own problems. By the way, I'm not usually one to critique others mistakes, because I make plenty myself, but telling us your English is great because you "learnt" it in England isn't very convincing.

Last edited by anotherbucketformonsieur; 04-24-2010 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: mistakes

Old 04-24-2010, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 7,481 times
Well I never said my English was great-read carefully!!!!!!!!!
And most of you just proved that you are intolerant, because you cannot tolerate that someone might have a negative impression of your state.
and you really took it very personally!!!!!

Well I will not take your advice and leave , (if life was that easy ......) I will stick around for a while and irritate you ....How is that?

Someone here wrote that local people were observing me how I tolerate winter..........Oh my gosh that is so absurd and ....silly. No more comments.

I have to add, on the other hand that I understand your position when somebody is attacking and criticizing your state......and believe me if I could I would leave and take only good memories with me........but I can't. Damn it!!!!

Old 04-24-2010, 01:19 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
anotherbucketformonsieur, I appreciate your well-reasoned response (not as reactionary as some of the others in this read), but I feel the need to point out that "learnt" is perfectly acceptable standard English.

The the OP, there's not much more I can say that hasn't already been said. To make such caustic overgeneralizations is extremely unreasonable. Have you ever considered that the "funny faces" you encounter have nothing to do with listeners' personal prejudices, but maybe just reflect their lack of exposure to foreign accents? In my personal experience, Granite Staters tend to be a fairly open-minded group.

These sorts of threads pop up from time to time, where a poster makes a thread with the sole purpose of criticizing the entire populace of the state (based largely on minimal personal experience), which leads me to ask those of you who have responded -- why do you even bother? What purpose does it serve to criticize someone who has not made a rational argument? Wouldn't it be much better to just ignore these threads altogether? Save your energy.

What frustrates me the most, however, is when people attack someone who has made gross overgeneralizations with nearsighted overgeneralizations of their own. It seems that anyone who criticizes some element of NH society is automatically grouped into the "liberal, pro-nanny state" category by some posters in this forum. This rhetoric is extremely tiring. New Hampshire IS meant to be a "live and let live" state, and that includes tolerance for those with different ideological viewpoints. Saying things like "go back to Massachusetts" just reeks of ignorance and immaturity.

For that matter, the word "liberal" (as I assume it was used by the OP) has a different meaning in most parts of the world outside of the US. It refers to what we would call libertarianism - fiscal conservativism and social liberalism in American terms - which is precisely the ideological combination that NH is best known for. Perhaps before jumping down someone's throat with reactionary comments, it would be wise to consider the nuances of words.

Comments like "if you don't like it, leave it" do absolutely nothing to contribute to the debate. If we are going to rationally defend against unfounded criticisms, we need to do so rationally. I'm sure there are plenty of things that each of us doesn't like about NH, but we choose to live here anyway. No place is perfect, but Granite Staters pride themselves on tolerance and a "live and let live" approach to life. So, to return to the OP's original concerns, I suggest that you re-examine your personal experiences and refrain from jumping to rash conclusions.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:24 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine34 View Post
Well I never said my English was great-read carefully!!!!!!!!!
And most of you just proved that you are intolerant, because you cannot tolerate that someone might have a negative impression of your state.
and you really took it very personally!!!!!
Try making a thread whose sole purpose is to criticize the population of a state (saying something as inflaming as "you don't like immigrants") on ANY state forum on these message boards. I guarantee that you will get exactly the same reaction. People don't like being unrightfully labeled as bigots, no matter what state they live in.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:41 PM

909 posts, read 3,362,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post

The the OP, there's not much more I can say that hasn't already been said. To make such caustic overgeneralizations is extremely unreasonable. Have you ever considered that the "funny faces" you encounter have nothing to do with listeners' personal prejudices, but maybe just reflect their lack of exposure to foreign accents? In my personal experience, Granite Staters tend to be a fairly open-minded group.
Or maybe they are just trying to figure out where you are from. Although I am a racial minority here, I am a US born citizen with no accent, and it's fun for me to try and figure out the origin of accents. Is that bad? I don't know. I'm just curious, and I like accents. So when my mind is working, it's possible I might have a "funny face," but it's not because I'm rejecting someone based on their accent.

I'm sorry that you are not feeling welcome here. Hopefully that will change. NH isn't for everyone, but I do believe it is for anyone really tries to make a go of it with all of its quirks.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 7,481 times
I confess ...I should have written: ..the most intolerant state I've lived in so far..............
I use Present Perfect with the hope that my opinion might change in the future and I will post a thread:

NH the most wonderful state!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2010, 02:46 PM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
It is in many respects better to ignore nonesene threads like this that are posted to insult and troll, but most of us folks in northern New England don't take kindly to having our noses tweaked I post on threads like these when I notice that there are a lot of them popping up.....I figure that it's no accident, and I like to let the trolls know that we are not just going to sit here & take this kind of abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire