Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,048,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSnow View Post
Thank you! Thank you! Oh, boy... how can I pack it in a week? I want to see so much, and towns too.
well, the family will see that there is so much to do in NH, they'll want to come back for another vacation... and then move there! Make sure at least one vacation is in dead winter though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:24 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,998,527 times
Manch is about 1 hour from the lake. Run right up I-93 to Tilton, Rt 106 I think to Laconia to Rt 11, to Rt 3 to the Wiers. Weirs Bch is one place to get on the Mt Washington. What the Wiers was in ancient times was a wood woven fishing method between the two main bodies of water. Pagus Bay and lake Winnie. A real weirs..

From the scenic train depot and real old depot a the Weirs you will see the ossipe mts on the north side iof the lake. These are what's left of a mt said to have been some 44,000 ft !!!!!!! It is an ancient volcano and IS a Ring DI-KE. ( I got nannied for a geolodgic term)

Last I knew at Caslte Spring Bottling plant, a open factory to see how sroing water is made and I think now also a brewery maybe, on the same land as Castle in the Cloulds is or was an airial photo of the ring ****. Topo maps can be had to show this as well. I am not sure how much interest childern would have for that though.

You can see this on line with any topo mapping site using 03886 as a zip code, and moving due south 6 miles. Back out for a larger over view and you will see a near to perfect circle.

The mountian Mt Washington not the ship, has the Cog Railway. They have a site too. I have never ridden the trains there, but in part of i am a snob hiker

This is on the west side of Mt W.. On the East side there is the Mt W Auto Road where you can drive your own car for a fee or take their vans and just sight see.

Be sure the weather is clear or a ride in clouds is no different than a ride in fog.

No matter what, if you go to the top of Mt W bring coats, and other warmer things! You will need them! Mt W is 1 mile high, and it is almost always cold up there compared to down below.

I am sure the auto road has a site too.

Check on Franconia for their Luppine Festival. I forget when that is, but it runs around 4 weeks. The roads are marked for that, and just doing that will get you out and about. I almost feel sorry for Chucky Cheese, even though I have no idea what that is.

In the mt's be sure to have the kids roll over some dead wood logs.. Things live under them kids like! There isn't anything living in the wild that can hurt you here. Well we have assorted wasps and bees, and the like, but nothing more posionous than that.

With bears and moose it is best to stay in a car. People do get out for pics, and usually that is safe enough, but with kids who can do strange things they should remain in a car.

You really should make it a point to drive the Kanc Rt 112 between Lincoln and Conway. Get gas... 32 miles with nothing.. Just one great view after another, and plenty of off road points to park safely.

If you can, don't plan to a room for a week in manch... what for????? Just about every northern town has all kinds of lodging. Big Hotels Big motels, quaint Inns and B&B's, some places still have 1930's like cabins even. I wouldn't worry about not finding rooms either. Last August 9th I hit a jeep on my motorcycle, that hit a moose. I was able to find a room in N Conway for the guys in the jeep easy. Their jeep was totaled, and first I had the state police bring them to where I live as my wife left her phone home, and then I had to get a bigger vehical than my bike to take these guys.

Don't crash we don't have buses and or many taxi's.

North Conway has tons of shopping. That isn't anything my wife, and i do really, but it's there.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 05-21-2010 at 08:33 AM..

Old 05-21-2010, 09:11 AM

108 posts, read 341,757 times
Thank you, Mac. I think we'll leave geology lessons for later visits when kids are older (or when we move), but living things under logs - those are always a hit.

Trains rule too.

Yeah, Chucky looks sorta pale now. We live in a place where there's nothing but hot sun, so I forget other places are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Get gas... 32 miles with nothing..
Oh, tell it to a person from south TX! The nearest entertainment spot (other than Chucky's, he-he) is almost 150 miles away.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 AM

108 posts, read 341,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
well, the family will see that there is so much to do in NH, they'll want to come back for another vacation... and then move there! Make sure at least one vacation is in dead winter though.
Yeah, that's my plan

I'd love to come in winter! But I am limited with the school schedule. Besides, it means buying all the winter clothes that we (almost) don't have. And it's not like there is a great selection of real winter shoes and coats in the south. So we'll see.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:03 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,964,962 times
Trains ruled in my home at one time as well (my little "Train Brain" is now 14 and only likes trains in secret ssshhhh!) If you're heading up the the White Mountains... the Conway Scenic Railroad in North Conway has several train trips. The 2010 "Thomas the Tank Engine" dates are July 9-11 and July 16-18, a 25-minute ride on a full-size Thomas This ride is the highlight of my nephew's summer, and he'll be 8 next year. Conway Scenic Railroad

Save Chucky Cheese for a rainy day... we have those too, on occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSnow View Post
Trains rule too.

Yeah, Chucky looks sorta pale now. We live in a place where there's nothing but hot sun, so I forget other places are different.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:10 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,998,527 times
Oh yeah by the Weirs is a place I have never been called The Fun Spot. I am not too sure what they have to offer, but kids like the place. My son is 29, and he had fun making me a grand pa.

A lot of places around cater to kids winter clothes, used of course, but who cares. Some work like you pay 5 bucks and fill a bag. When your kids out grow the stuff you bag it up and go gove it back.

I bought my son hiking boots and in the same season they were useless. I learned my lesson.

Even International Mountain Equipment and Ragged Mt Supply in the N Conway area have trade in camping gear, top notch but used, stuff cheaper than new.

I traded off some tents too big, crampons (spikes for ice climbing ) I didn't need as I have better, and still have the antique type as well, and there is always x-c skis and boots in great shape in all sized kids to adults.

My wife has a pair of boots I know did Everest from IME. These places make EMS look like a joke. LL Bean is worse, unless you want Hudson Bay Blankets. You sure won't in Texas.

Walley world clothing for winter is less than useless here. Cotton is a killer in winter. I do historical re-enacting and my paint is better in winter than cotton.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:20 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,964,962 times
Oooohhh Mac just reminded me (maybe it was brought up before) but there is a drive-in at the Weirs. Double feature!! This weekend is the new Shrek and Iron Man movies I dunno if you still have drive-in movies down south, but not many left up here...

Old 05-21-2010, 02:44 PM

680 posts, read 2,443,346 times
Storyland and the Conway Scenic Railway are both great. The Children's Museum in Dover is fun for young kids (Dover is on the Seacoast.) Funspot in Laconia is very fun. Squam Lakes Science Center in Holderness is wonderful. Alas, most of the really special places are a good drive from the Manchester area ... they're in more touristy areas like North Conway and the Lakes.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,672,587 times
Quote:
there is a drive-in at the Weirs
Didn't know they still existed.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:43 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,048,997 times
yep, there's one in Milford along 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire