Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 12,975 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone might be able to provide any advice for me. My family and I have been living in a 3 bedroom apartment for the last 3 years. Our landlord lives in the basement apartment and we live upstairs. Over the course of living here he has been very intrusive and it's been a nightmare! He constantly interupts what we are doing and has been controlling as far as us beign allowed to have guests over or cars in our driveway. He's an old guy and I know he means well but it really has been uncompftorable for us!
So, we just moved out and our landlord says he doesn't want to give our security deposit back even though we cleaned the place and it looks as good as when we moved in. We never had a lease.

The problem however is that we've found out the apartment is illegal and not zoned with the town. The apartment doesn't have separate utilities (we split his bill) or a separate mailing address. Basically, it has been against the law for him to rent for us the entire time we've lived there!

So our landlord says he's going to have a private inspector (ie; one of his friends) asses the damage to the apartment. This tells us that we aren't getting anything back. While their is wear and tear, there really is no damage at all apart from the carpets having a few stains (which I'm willing to pay for).

My question is, if I report him to the town, what kind of trouble will he be in? He's not a terrible person and I don't want to get him in big trouble, I just want my money back!

Advice, questions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,019 times
If.......he is really keeping your money for no good reason then I would report him. I'm big on getting people back who hurt me

Old 06-01-2010, 12:38 PM

He hasn't been awful to us, just intrusive. He's old too. I don't generally like to burn bridges.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:45 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,019 times
Well.....he's stealing your money from what you are saying. It's up to you how you deal with this. I can only tell you how I would deal with it, and I would not stand for it. He's not old & frail enogh to take what's not his ?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:13 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,628 times
cut your losses

Old 06-01-2010, 01:20 PM

223 posts, read 540,179 times
-- not worth the hassle, time, etc. plenty on your plate, don't need to add this. Not dealing with it is probably worth what you would collect.

plus, it is a nicer thing to do in the grand picture of life.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:44 PM

8 posts, read 17,620 times
New Hampshire people are control freaks...you'll just have to 'suck it up'; I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorel603 View Post
Just wondering if anyone might be able to provide any advice for me. My family and I have been living in a 3 bedroom apartment for the last 3 years. Our landlord lives in the basement apartment and we live upstairs. Over the course of living here he has been very intrusive and it's been a nightmare! He constantly interupts what we are doing and has been controlling as far as us beign allowed to have guests over or cars in our driveway. He's an old guy and I know he means well but it really has been uncompftorable for us!
So, we just moved out and our landlord says he doesn't want to give our security deposit back even though we cleaned the place and it looks as good as when we moved in. We never had a lease.

The problem however is that we've found out the apartment is illegal and not zoned with the town. The apartment doesn't have separate utilities (we split his bill) or a separate mailing address. Basically, it has been against the law for him to rent for us the entire time we've lived there!

So our landlord says he's going to have a private inspector (ie; one of his friends) asses the damage to the apartment. This tells us that we aren't getting anything back. While their is wear and tear, there really is no damage at all apart from the carpets having a few stains (which I'm willing to pay for).

My question is, if I report him to the town, what kind of trouble will he be in? He's not a terrible person and I don't want to get him in big trouble, I just want my money back!

Advice, questions?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:52 PM

I'm dropping a letter off today asking him to forward me an itemized list and whatever he thinks I should get back on my deposit. Most of you are right, it's only $1200.00, and not the end of the world.
Even though he's up in our business non-stop, he has also helped us out a few times with our cars (he used to own a shop). I guess it's just time to move on!

Old 06-01-2010, 07:17 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingnh2 View Post
New Hampshire people are control freaks...you'll just have to 'suck it up'; I'm afraid.

??? Control freaks? Really? Compared to where? Every post of yours I've seen so far is negative. Looks like you really want to leave NH, just like your screen name says....

OP - have you confronted your landlord with the fact that he's renting an illegal apartment? That might sway his decision a little bit....

Last edited by steveusaf; 06-01-2010 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Added something

Old 06-02-2010, 04:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
I would suggest a deal. I get the security deposit back and don't report the legality of the apartment to the town, the police and the newspaper. Sounds fair to me and less of a hassle than kicking his ass into next November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire