Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:58 PM

47 posts, read 144,926 times

Advertisements

Is there shelters or something where I can go to sleep or get temporary housing in a hotel? All I want to do is make it through school my first semester through school and work. Anytime I come home I can barely eat my food without my brothers picking up my food and taking some for themselves or can't find my clothes for work or anything else for that matter. I am about to pack my stuff and just leave. I tried but I am tired. What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
Kate’s offers 144 affordable single room housing units with rents ranging from $520 to $650 a month including all utilities. Income restrictions are as follows: 30 subsidized units for people with an income of $15,000 and below; 100 units for people with income in the range of $15,001 - $32,700; 14 market rate units for people with an income of at least $32,701 with no upper income limit. A case manager is on site to provide housing, educational, employment, health and wellness resources as well as on site classes and groups.

From: Project H.O.M.E.: Kate's Place: Unique Housing in Center City

Old 07-15-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Kate’s offers 144 affordable single room housing units with rents ranging from $520 to $650 a month including all utilities. Income restrictions are as follows: 30 subsidized units for people with an income of $15,000 and below; 100 units for people with income in the range of $15,001 - $32,700; 14 market rate units for people with an income of at least $32,701 with no upper income limit. A case manager is on site to provide housing, educational, employment, health and wellness resources as well as on site classes and groups.

From: Project H.O.M.E.: Kate's Place: Unique Housing in Center City
Thanks. I applied there and its a waiting list plus it said you can't be a full time student.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:40 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treegirl17 View Post
Thanks. I applied there and its a waiting list plus it said you can't be a full time student.
Then I wonder what this means?

"A case manager is on site to provide housing, educational, employment, health and wellness resources as well as on site classes and groups."

Why provide educational resources then?

Old 07-16-2010, 07:13 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Have you talked to your school? Maybe they can get you in a work-study program that will enable you to share a dorm room or college apartment. But first, have you spoken to your parents about how you feel? It is tough to go to school and have to work, if you and your family could work things out you will have a much easier time. It is only a few years, then you will be prepared to go out on your own, if you can, try to stay.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:49 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Have you talked to your school? Maybe they can get you in a work-study program that will enable you to share a dorm room or college apartment. But first, have you spoken to your parents about how you feel? It is tough to go to school and have to work, if you and your family could work things out you will have a much easier time. It is only a few years, then you will be prepared to go out on your own, if you can, try to stay.
Her location says that she's in West VA.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:56 AM

Maybe that is where her original home is, I don't know. Her threads are very consistent that she lives in Camden and goes to school in Philly.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:18 PM

I live in Camden and is about to leave my job in Philly. I am going to Camden County College. I am going to get a student refund so I'll just move to Philly and go over the bridge for work and school. I was going to wait until my second refund and income tax but I can't take five classes and work 2 jobs if I get the Wegmans. Timneh5 - I know! Thats dumb. The guy told me not to tell anyone! Umm I make under 15,000 and probably will make more than 10,000 this year!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Treegirl, there are several big apartment complexes near CCC in which many students live. You might be able to find a few girls who want to share a place. Does the college website have a section for things like that?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I'm by no means an expert at any of this, but I will tell you that moving to Philly may be your best bet. The Community College of Philadelphia is a good school and is very inexpensive for students who live in the city (way more affordable than CCC). Additionally it will be far easier to find inexpensive housing and roommates as well as finding odd jobs to support yourself. Sometimes it is simply better to be in a large city with all of the available resources versus being stuck in a place like Camden that affords you very few options. Also, if you live in the city, you won't need a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia