Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 06:17 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

We took an overnight trip to the Camden/Burlington County area the other day. We took a look at the Haddons (didn't like it for us) and stayed near Mount Laurel (about 5 minutes from the Moorestown Mall.)

I liked the Moorestown Mall area a lot (this is the kind of area I am used to for shopping, not strip malls). However, the whole area confused us and I never quite got to see Cherry Hill.

A better map and more time would have helped but we didn't have the time to explore further. We're going to review things to figure out if we want to keep applying in this area or look somewhere else.

I'm not sure if S. Jersey is for us but thanks to anyone who provided information for our trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,334 times
Will you look on the PA side? (can't recall if you have to move down to the Phila suburbs...). There are many great neighborhoods in PA that you might like.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Did you visit downtown Moorestown?? How about near the river in Riverton? Both gorgeous areas.. Cherry hill is 5 minutes away from Moorestown.. Just take th eshort trip down main street in Moorestown (rt 41) to rt 38 and into Cherry hill.

Riverton, NJ Borough Web Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
We took an overnight trip to the Camden/Burlington County area the other day. We took a look at the Haddons (didn't like it for us) and stayed near Mount Laurel (about 5 minutes from the Moorestown Mall.)

I liked the Moorestown Mall area a lot (this is the kind of area I am used to for shopping, not strip malls). However, the whole area confused us and I never quite got to see Cherry Hill.

A better map and more time would have helped but we didn't have the time to explore further. We're going to review things to figure out if we want to keep applying in this area or look somewhere else.

I'm not sure if S. Jersey is for us but thanks to anyone who provided information for our trip.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:31 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

Well, no area is for everyone. I suspect that you drove through Cherry Hill at some point, unless you got off 295 in Barrington & then got back on there & got off at Mt Laurel.

The Moorestown Mall is just up the road from the Cherry Hill Mall.

During the housing boom, a lot of people moved to South Jersey for cheap real estate & hated it when they got there, so it's better that you find out, if you don't like an area, before you commit. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Not every area is for everyone. What in particular did you not like about the Haddons? Just asking as maybe we can steer you in a different direction. If there is one thing S. Jersey has in spades that's variety, from towns and housing to shopping and restraunts, there is pretty much every kind you can imagine. Strip malls are popular around here (weren't they popular everywhere?), but if you like malls, it's a shame you missed Cherry Hill. It is at least 3 times the size of Moorestown with a lot more variety.

Good luck in your search wherever it may take you.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I think the main problem was it was VERY congested everywhere we went. I am used to traffic and busy roads (we're from NY/Long Island) but it was really too busy for me.

Another problem is the nicer areas we liked are too expensive. Neither of us have jobs yet but we will not make the $ it takes to live well in Moorestown or Cherry Hill. I think we may look into the Penna Suburbs of Philly, since we decided we would not LIKE to work in Philly but rather live outside of it, in a suburb.

I believe this may be more economic for us and the taxes and car insurance are less in PA.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
I think the main problem was it was VERY congested everywhere we went. I am used to traffic and busy roads (we're from NY/Long Island) but it was really too busy for me.

Another problem is the nicer areas we liked are too expensive. Neither of us have jobs yet but we will not make the $ it takes to live well in Moorestown or Cherry Hill. I think we may look into the Penna Suburbs of Philly, since we decided we would not LIKE to work in Philly but rather live outside of it, in a suburb.

I believe this may be more economic for us and the taxes and car insurance are less in PA.

for the same sized homes and cost in pa, the taxes are the same.. Maybe a few $$ cheaper but when we were looking last year before we moved we found a $300k home in jersey, pa had about the same taxes. Car insurance is aprox the same too..

Old 07-22-2010, 11:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:

I didn't mention it in your other threads, so you were specific about the area you were looking in. You may want to consider the greater Swedesboro area in Gloucester County. The area is composed of Swedesboro, Logan Twp., Woolwich Twp., East Greenwich Twp. and South Harrison Twp. The schools are very good, there is a variety of housing and different price ranges and the taxes are far more reasonable (especially in Logan) then other areas of South Jersey.

It is a more rural suburb with the major developments surrounded by a lot of open space and farm land. Therefore it is a lot less congested than Camden and Burlington Counties and the areas you looked at. The one drawback is that outside of essentials shopping (pharmacy and food) you need to drive to one of the major shopping areas, but there are several within 20 miutes with all the malls and stores you will ever need.

I commute from that area to Maple Shade (Cherry Hill area) everyday and my commute is a little over 20 miles and takes about 35 minutes. Most of the people I've run into are commuters as the area sits in the middle of all the major employment centers in South Jersey, Northern Delaware and Philadelphia. It may be closer to what you are looking for and to me represented a great value versus the more traditional suburb choices. Another bonus if you are buying is that the entire area qualifies for USDA home loans which allow 102% financing with no money down and have pretty loose income restrictions. The funding for USDA is in flux right now, but it is a great program if you can take advantage of it.

Just something to think about it based on what you didn't like about the other areas.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
for the same sized homes and cost in pa, the taxes are the same.. Maybe a few $$ cheaper but when we were looking last year before we moved we found a $300k home in jersey, pa had about the same taxes. Car insurance is aprox the same too..
That really depends on which PA area you look, on the whole, most PA counties will have lower tax rates. And the PA state tax is lower (at least for me it would be as PA has a flat tax rate, whereas NJ has this graduated tax system). Some parts of Delaware County (Swarthmore, Wallingford, Drexel Hill) and some of the Northern burbs (e.g., Elkins Park, Cheltenhem, Jenkintown, Wyncote, Abington) will have high taxes, on par with S. Jersey. For the most part, however, property taxes seem to lower.

For instance, we looked at homes in the $450-500K range and the average the property tax rate on homes in that range in PA was about $5500-6500 (primarily focusing on Media, Havertown, Bala Cynwyd, Wynwood). In Haddon Township, Haddonfield, Haddon Heights - a $400,000 house (50K less than what we looked at in PA) had about $9-10,000K taxes. The house we wound up buying in S. Jersey was a full $100,000 less than the house we were considering in Media PA, but the property taxes were $2000 more/year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia