Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:02 PM

398 posts, read 732,930 times

Advertisements

The parts of Sicklerville in Gloucester Township have good schools and are not run down. The parts in Winslow are supposedly not as good, though I do not have first-hand experience. The dividing line in Berlin-Cross Keys Road. Everything east of that road is in Winslow Twp, and everything west is Gloucester Township.

Depending on the lifestyle, I would highly recommend to the OP to choose an area closer to Philly because on the evenings and weekends you will want to cross the bridge into Philly for recreation, dining, museums, theatre, etc. While I agree that most parts of Philly are terrible places to live (most - not all), the fact remains that Philly has a lot more to offer than South Jersey. It's not like Northern VA where you will rarely ever step foot into Washington, D.C. except for museums or a show. We like ethnic food (and by ethnic I don't mean Italian) and we find ourselves crossing the bridge all the time for that, Philadelphia having a much greater variety than South Jersey. We haven't even found a good Indian place around here. The ice rinks in Philly are free and have lots of public skating sessions, so we go to Philly often for that (here in South Jersey there are very few and they are expensive and have limited public skate sessions). Philadelphia has better parks (biking in South Jersey is boring since it's so flat, I go to Philly to ride in Fairmount Park and in the Wissahickon valley), the museums are there, most of the employment opportunities, etc. My wife looked for jobs a while back and most of the listings were out in King of Prussia or in Philly itself. So even if the job is close to Blue Anchor now, no employment is for life and it's better to be close to an actual big city since you will need to find a new job if this one ever goes away. For that reason I would recommend staying away from places in the middle of nowhere like Vineland or Medford. Stick to the closer-in suburbs, the farthest out I'd go would be Marlton (Evesham Township) or Turnersville (Washington Twp).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 PM

29 posts, read 51,694 times
I was talking with my husband and I don't believe we will look as far south as Vineland.
When we first were married we used to live in Schwenksville, PA. We rarely ever went into Philadelphia
that often. You never know what surprises life will throw your way so I do realize that Philadelphia would have more options for employment. That is always something you need to consider for the future. So far we seem to be looking a lot at Williamstown but we want to make sure we don't leave any nice areas out. Pitman and Berlin are also some other areas we want to look at more. Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. They are helping a lot.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:49 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creed3 View Post
I was talking with my husband and I don't believe we will look as far south as Vineland.
When we first were married we used to live in Schwenksville, PA. We rarely ever went into Philadelphia
that often. You never know what surprises life will throw your way so I do realize that Philadelphia would have more options for employment. That is always something you need to consider for the future. So far we seem to be looking a lot at Williamstown but we want to make sure we don't leave any nice areas out. Pitman and Berlin are also some other areas we want to look at more. Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. They are helping a lot.
FYI, Pitman gives you easy access to Rt 55 which takes you to 42.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:22 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
55 to 42 is actually the opposite direction they need to go in, though. She would have to drive north almost to Bellmawr only to double back and go south. 55 north gets very congested at 42, where the merge is. I sat there for over half an hour just on that last mile at rush hour. I'm not even sure you can get on 42 south from 55 north without having to get on north and make a u-turn somewhere? Even from 42, she'd still have to cut all the way across towards 73 to get to Blue Anchor area. I work in Pitman, and take back roads to Cross Keys to get to Sicklerville for my hair appointments, and it takes 30 minutes, would be another 15-20 to Blue Anchor at rush hour. So I definitely like Pitman a lot, but it will be more than half hour commute.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 12-22-2010 at 05:33 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 05:36 AM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
he is almost correct.. Low but not the lowest in Camden county...my guess is your home is newer. Newer homes have a much high assessed value

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa...t/gtr09cam.pdf
Yeah sorry, close to the lowest though. Less than half of Cherry Hill rates!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:43 AM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
The parts of Sicklerville in Gloucester Township have good schools and are not run down. The parts in Winslow are supposedly not as good, though I do not have first-hand experience. The dividing line in Berlin-Cross Keys Road. Everything east of that road is in Winslow Twp, and everything west is Gloucester Township.
I always thought Sicklerville was technically a section of Winslow. Its zip code extends into Gloucester Twp and that area is called Erial? Correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway I know people who emerged from the Blackwood (also Gloucester Twp) area and did just fine. Winslow I know has a terrible school system, but cannot comment on any personal experiences there, sorry.

What about Atco?

Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
55 to 42 is actually the opposite direction they need to go in, though. She would have to drive north almost to Bellmawr only to double back and go south. 55 north gets very congested at 42, where the merge is. I sat there for over half an hour just on that last mile at rush hour. I'm not even sure you can get on 42 south from 55 north without having to get on north and make a u-turn somewhere? Even from 42, she'd still have to cut all the way across towards 73 to get to Blue Anchor area. I work in Pitman, and take back roads to Cross Keys to get to Sicklerville for my hair appointments, and it takes 30 minutes, would be another 15-20 to Blue Anchor at rush hour. So I definitely like Pitman a lot, but it will be more than half hour commute.
Because the possibility of future need for access to Philly was raised, I told the route from Pitman.

When I was at my sister's for a week in Sept. I was going back & forth to Philly getting research material & that was one of the ways I went. 55 dumps into 42. Since I was going into Center City, I then got onto 295. I was usually coming back during rush hour, so took the old route back, going through Barrington & Runnemeade, on Clements Bridge Road, to avoid the construction on 295.

322 to Williamstown gives a couple of options to Blue Anchor, depending on where in Blue Anchor the work site would be.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:00 AM

398 posts, read 732,930 times
southbound_295... Coming from Center City to Pitman does not require going on 295 at all, not sure why you would do that. 42 splits off into 76 west or 676 west, the former going across the Walt Whitman and the latter going across the Ben Franklin. Both routes will take you directly into Center City.

Whoelsebutcharies, Sicklerville is an unincorporated area and it's mostly in Winslow but there's a large part of it that's in Gloucester Township. For example, Ann Mullen Middle School is a Gloucester Township school with a Sicklerville address. That area is different from Erial, which is adjacent to it. Both areas are good areas with plenty of newer residential sprawl development.

Blackwood and Glendora are older towns along Black Horse Pike with plenty of older houses, mostly smaller. Blackwood has some mansions and new developments mixed in.

When you search for houses in Sicklerville you can usually separate the Winslow ones from the Gloucester Twp ones by looking at price. The same house will often be $100k less in Winslow simply because the school district is undesirable.

Personally I like the areas of Gloucester Township in the 08021 zip code, which it shares with Clementon. Clementon schools aren't great, but our son is enrolled in middle school here in Gloucester Township and he loves his school, his teachers, and has lots of friends. The subdivisions like Broadmoor West (off Somerdale Rd) and Glen Oaks (off Chews Landing Road) are mature with plenty of trees and very convenient and they offer quick access to Voorhees, Deptford, and 42. Voorhees has the largest public library in the area and more restaurants than any other part of town, and Deptford has most big box stores available. I am in Philly in 25 mins flat and you can't beat that, I also can hop on the turnpike right at Exit 3 and be in Delaware in 30 mins or at Newark Airport in about an hour.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
southbound_295... Coming from Center City to Pitman does not require going on 295 at all, not sure why you would do that. 42 splits off into 76 west or 676 west, the former going across the Walt Whitman and the latter going across the Ben Franklin. Both routes will take you directly into Center City

Over the years, I've had reasons to go to Philly from my sister's house in Pitman, even when I was living in Cherry Hill.

I'm aware of both routes that you mentioned & have driven both. I don't like driving 95 into Center City. I like driving 676 through Camden even less. I had things to do in or near Cherry Hill on my way into & out of town, so took 295 up & Clements Bridge road back. I saw no reason to explain my choice of routes & won't elaborate further as it is not related to the thread.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:18 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Avoid Atco, apparently MS-13 is out there now. Also, when my friend was off-roading a couple months ago and his car got stuck in the woods, he said a bunch of clansmen-esque people came out of nowhere. When he called the police, they only went halfway towards him before deciding they didn't care and turned around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia